"Twin-tailed Dragons" pencil sketch

Hi guys,

Just finished this little pencil sketch for my upcoming Twin-tailed Dragons. The final canvas will be 24 x 32.

Next step is to do a small oil sketch the same size as this pencil sketch to nail down the values and colors. After THAT, I have to put this project aside and finish the final 48" wide The Debden Kidd canvas. The final P-38 canvas is going to the same home as The Debden Kidd, so no problem mixing and matching my time on these two!

I didn't bother with much detail or markings at this small size, but I did 'hint' at the distinctive dragon motif art on the booms (459th FS; Chittagong, India).

The painting will show a few P-38s in mid-May 1944 led by Capt. Walter F. "Bill" Duke's Miss-V. Duke, a 13-victory ace, was KIA in this plane after a sweep over Heho/Meiktila airfield on 6 June 44 when he voluntarily returned to find his missing wingman after the wingman failed to join up after they cleared the target area. Duke said he had plenty of gas and circled back.

Japanese fighters flying at altitude saw his lone P-38 and attacked. After the war Japanese records investigated by US officers confirmed that Duke knocked down three of his attackers before he was shot down himself. These last three victories do not show up on some "official" lists. His wingman actually made it home OK.

The second ship is being flown by Maj. Willard J. Webb.

Twin-tailed Dragons

Pencil on paper

8 x 10 5/8

TT_Dragons_pencil_web_041906.jpg

Edited by Chicoartist
Genius at work again.

Heh heh ... thanks, but if you want to see 'genius', take a look at a Wilson Hurley landscape - or any of his large originals at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

THAT, my friend, is genius! The rest of us, well, we just try to not cry too much when we compare our work to Hurley's ... :D

Speaking of Hurley - I'd love to see what he could do with my clouds I show above ... I'd PAY to see that!

Thx for the kind words, tho! :rolleyes:

Wade

Heh heh ... thanks, but if you want to see 'genius', take a look at a Wilson Hurley landscape - or any of his large originals at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

THAT, my friend, is genius! The rest of us, well, we just try to not cry too much when we compare our work to Hurley's ... ;)

Speaking of Hurley - I'd love to see what he could do with my clouds I show above ... I'd PAY to see that!

Thx for the kind words, tho! :D

Wade

:o

I love to see the works of this genius too.

But I live in Singapore. Do you know of any webby with his works?

P.S Still you are a genius.

Update: a collector sent me this photo - I've decided to make it the main subject of my painting. I love the nose art.

The pilot, 2Lt William G. "Bill" Baumeister, Jr. isn't credited with any aerial victories, so it will also represent the vast majority of the non-aces who hung it out there right beside the more famous types.

Wade

William_Baumeister_459FS.jpg