New Star Trek Movie in the works ...

26 April 2006

It Won't Be Kirk And Spock

Exclusive: The Truth About Star Trek XI

Fans around the world whooped for joy last week at news that the Star Trek franchise was being resuscitated with M:I:3 director JJ Abrams at the helm. News that it would adopt the long-mooted concept of Kirk and Spock's youthful adventures at Starfleet Academy provoked a more mixed reaction. Those who thought such a move sacrilege can rest easy though because, as Empire discovered in an interview today with Abrams himself, the story is nothing of the sort.

"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," says the director with a hint of regret. "People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumours of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

But the million dollar question is, what will it be about? Unsurprisingly, Abrams isn't saying ("We've made a pact not to discuss any specifics") but the Lost creator is a confirmed Original Series fan so don't be surprised if his take on the series does indeed take place around the era of Kirk and co, or if some of the established characters do make a reappearance. "Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that… you know, they could live again."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=18614

Well, maybe this gives us hope for a Sulu/USS Excelsior adventure...although George Takei is getting a bit up in years...maybe new characters will be the focus, and they'll report back to some familiar faces at Starfleet Command...Admiral Sulu and Admiral Spock maybe?

Kirk meets Spock???? Thats just lame. Without sounding too geeky, (but by posting this Im afraid Im sounding geeky). Spock was on Enterprise like 13 or 16 years or something earlier as a LT under the first Captain.

Kirk was the golden boy who jumped the que for a real early command. What? is Spock a teacher or something?

No Sir, sounds pretty lame. :banana:

Nyah, you're not being geeky, everybody knows that Spock served several years on USS ENTERPRISE under Captain Pike prior to Kirk taking over. This is of course based on the 1st pilot, the two MENAGERIE episodes, and the official background information of the original series. Not to say that their paths couldn't have crossed.

No surprise to me that NEMESIS didn't do well at the boxoffice. With the exception of FIRST CONTACT, TNG movies always struck me as being more like just another episode than a theatrical film. Maybe it's because the SFX of the series or in the middle years the stories rivalled what a film could do, or that the films based on TOS were such a quantam leap (Effects-wise and scope of story) over the series.

If indeed some of the original characters will be used, the film would obviously have to be based post-TOS.

I think George Takei is the potential untapped savior of the franchise, either on film or the small screen. He's expressed many times that he would entertain offers/ideas of playing Sulu again, although it would have to be as Captain. He's a link to the glory days of Star Trek, and he has the onscreen prescence to pull off a credible performance. Last we saw, he was commanding USS EXCELSIOR, but I would have to say that he would be transferred to USS ENTERPRISE-B.

Clearly for ANY Star Trek sub-series to be successful...it MUST travel back in time to a significant period....like....when Cochran flew the first warp(ed) ship....or when Spock got his pet Selat....or James T was doinking Yeoman Rand. It's all relevant....

Personally...I'd prefer to see an extrapolation of "Mirror, Mirror" and see how the evil versions have fared....Obviously...the evil Mr Spock MUST have enjoyed a great retirement and Captain Jerk would have to have gotten to the admiralty through several assassinations....

Or how 'bout Jean Luc Picard in Goatee and Will Riker as evil as they come?

Might be worth $7.95.

Don't know if you're hip to this Rusty, but there's a book based on TNG and the Mirror universe, I believe titled DARK MIRROR. Actually not a bad read, especially the evil Troi . . .

Not to mention that he's outed himself and is admitted that he's queer as a football bat....

Every male flight attendant in the universe is howling with glee now and can't wait to see the new movie.

He's also stipulated that, although George Takei is gay, Sulu is not:

Asked why people are so intrigued by the fact that "Mr. Sulu, so to speak, is gay", in Stone's words, Takei pointed out that Sulu is not gay and that might be part of the reason for the interest. "They thought, because I played Sulu as a heterosexual guy, the fact that the actor is playing him is gay...that is news."

From a recent interview he gave to startrek.com, as transcribed on trektoday.com (yes, I'm a geek).

I think one small point has been missed......

The guy behind "LOST" is going to do this film? Does that mean we have to sit through seemingly endless reruns and plot-recap scenes????

(I'm so frustrated at Lost right now, I'm almost considering not watching it anymore.... Well, at least I'll be able to catch up on it due to the ENDLESS reruns they show...)

PH