Well, Here is my viking. I was planning on making this relatively quickly, as I needed a break from my 1/32 tomcat. I bought the ESCI "COD" boxing, which actually builds a US-3A, anddoesn't offer the parts to build a S-3. I thought I'd be safe on that one. So, I thought ok, thats fine, a US-3 sounds like an interesting subject. Well the decals provided where THICK and would not lay down even with generous microsol. To make a long story short, I bought some cam decals and I built a US-3 in S-3 Markings. Ehh, Im ok with that. <_<

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0994.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

I really enjoy using MM acryl, and I futured it and then dirtied the panel lines and gear with some MM enamel WWII german brown.

thanks for the comments guys! I just finished college for the year so I have some time to work on my 1/32 tomcat. Its the first time I've kit bashed, and I actually surpised by how the tommy is turning out. That revell kit takes alot of work :-)

Edited by mynameismatt

Aussie,

unfortunately, thats what I thought, but the boxing is different. The US-3 boxing doesnt have a mad boom, and it also doesn't have a sonobuoy launch piece on the bottom, instead it has a delete panel. If your making a s-3b, the lack of a mad boom isnt a problem, as they are deleted. As for the sonobouys, you can leave it, or modify it yourself.

this page might be helpful:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/updatin...rvikingbs_1.htm

hope this helps!

Nice job Matt! :lol: :banana: :blink:

I just picked up a US-3A without decals and am wondering what the external differences Between the S-3 and US-3 are? Is it just what is hung under the wings?

;)

Few things off the top of my head.

1. Remove all the SRS antennas

2. Remove the wingtip ALR-76 pods (as seen on the model above)

3. Blanking plate over the sonobuoy chutes

4. Blanking plate over the mad boom

I think there are a few other items...but the ones I stated are the big ones

Cheers

Edited by Collin

Thanks a lot Matt and Collin,

Looks like the S-3B might by the easier way to go, I think there are more after market decal options avaible for the Bs anyway, unless there is an aftermarket sheet for a US-3?

:(

It looks great. Very nice work with the paint and decals. And if you hadn't mentioned the stuff about the sub-type and the decals I certainly would not have known the difference.

Edited by David Walker