About to put the wraps on this

I just finished all of the decaling and have to do the final clear coats when they're fully set. After that it's add the LG, antenna wire, and paint the lights. Oh, I'll also add some wipers to the windschield after final clears. Must mask of the windschiled glazings before clear coats, so that would pull the wipers off if I did it now.

Caz

decal1.jpg

decal3.jpg

Edited by redruffensore

The tail was completely assembled before painting and decaling Capt. Eric. The anti-icing panels are done with strips of black decal trim film cut to fit. Rather than do a wrap around decal, I cut strips for the underside and upper. Any color seen on the leading edges after the decals set are painted out with PS Steam Power Black. After a gloss, you'd never know the difference. All the masking I did was in the separation of the white (Polly Scale Reefer White used for primer) and the upper MM Acryl Light Gray. I enlarged the instructions to scale and cut templates from the enlargements. Basic separation lines are cut as thin strips to more easily contour and small rectangular pieces of masking are used as filler. Propeller tip decals are provided and work great as a guide, but of all things on the kit out of scale, the thickness of the props are the worst, so one has to paint in the edges in white and then paint the red strip. A full blown ARC article is in the works.

Ken, I first tried to mask the dome rim with BMF strips arod the edges and masking tape as filler. It worked fine on the Reefer White Primer, but pulled the MM Light Gray up in spot. I removed all paint and redid all and ended up carefully brush painting the rim with Steam Power Black, a very slow go. But it was about the best way to attack it other than having an exact decal pattern and carfully cut black trim film and painting the edges.

The little black elipse on the nose was a problem at first. The white cross is all that is given oin the decal sheet and one is to paint the black, ditto the anti-glare panel. I made a black elipse in PS, copied it to a new file and scaled the image down to the proper size and printed several copies on one sheet of paper. I took the best cut elipse and used it for a template to cut the ekipse. I did a cross-cut in the middle of the elipse decal to help it conform to the contour of the nose and touched up with paint. The anti-glare panel is also done with black trim film, after getting a template by applying some sanded out macking tape and outlining the panel recess. I then transferred the masking tape to index card, cut the template and used it to cut the black trim film.

Intakes and exhausts are blocked with Waldren-punched disks. Punched disks of blacl decal are applied after brushing them graphite and glossing. Thin strips of black decal film were also used on the tailhook.

The smudgy looking black on the tail around the rudders was only temporary. After my black wash in the control recesses dry, I buff the raised areas with a swab and ever so little Mirror Glaze #3 Machine Glaze compound, takes it right up.

Caz