Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX

Hi

They were actually very weathered as they soldiered on with 4th Escadre de Chasse (Fighter Wing) after they were used by 2nd Escadre in Indochina.

The fighters stayed when the units turned.

Patrick

Good morning everybody.

Today, May 7th, is the anniversary of the end of the entrenched camp of Dien Bien Phu.

With this subject I would like to think of all the people who fought and died around the landing stripes and the nine strongholds.

Some years ago I made this plane from that period.

m_1876651_0.jpg

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hi

Before cutting the sprues here are a summary of the French Spitfire operations in Indochina between 1945 and 1950 :

The first Spitfires the French Air Force flew in Indochina were some Mk VIII borrowed from the RAF in Tan Son Nhut (Saigon) in Cochinchine. They were used in anger on December 13, 1945 by the GC II/7. Later GC I/7 “Provence†and GC II/7 “Nice†were re-equipped with Spitfire Mk IX, this time bought from GB. The first Tonkin operation ended in March 1946 and by this time the two squadrons flew over 600 sorties, expended 150.000 ammos and dropped 28 t of bombs with only four aircraft dammaged.

In July 1946 the 2nd Escadre,with GC I/2 “Cigognes†in Hanoï and Lang Son and GC II/2 “Alsace†in Saigon, Nha Trang and Tourane (Da Nang), replaced the 1st Escadre with the same Spitfires. Obviously the squadrons moved according to the pacification campaign in Cochinchine.

The next unit was the 4th Escadre with GC I/4 “Dauphiné†and GC II/4 “Lafayette†which was deployed for Operation “Léa†against the Viêt Minh strongholds in Haut-Tonkin in September 1947.

The last unit to fly operationally the Spitfire was the 3rd Escadre when the GC I/3 “Navarre†replaced the GC II/4 in September 1948 and the GC II/3 “Champagne†replaced the GC I/4 in January 1949.

By the beginning of 1950 the 5th Escadre started operations against the Viêt-Minh with Bell P-63s ending the Spitfire era in Indochina.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • 1 month later...

Hello

I have finally started creating my Spitfire.

Here are the first pictures.

I added inside some plastic bits and some length of soldering wire.

m_18952436_0.jpg

m_18952438_0.jpg

The blue lines are to be filled as actually they are rivet lines.

m_18952440_0.jpg

The wing is modified as an "e" wing.

m_18952441_0.jpg

The seat belts are made with aluminium sheet.

m_18952444_0.jpg

m_18952445_0.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • 1 month later...

Hello

Update for my French era Viêt-Nam war Spitfire.

I have finished the wing undersurface.

m_20940143_0.jpg

The cockpit sides were painted with enamels to later use an acrylic wash.

m_20940144_0.jpg

I cut the entry door to open the canopy.

m_20940354_0.jpg

And now the pilot's seat.

m_20940355_0.jpg

m_20940357_0.jpg

Next will be the closed fuselage. So far, the pace has been right.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hello

Yes Hasegawa Mk IX. An old box with everything to make pointed or rounded rudder, short or normal wing span, retractable or not tail wheel, short or long carburretor intake. Actually I have got five different boxes (Mk VIII and IX).

But remember it is 1/72 ! :blink:

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I will certainly be late for the deadline but I have got something to add to my Spitfire.

When everything was stuck I started yesterday the painting job with some Aluminium for the future worn areas :

m_24967172_0.jpg

Then today I sprayed the grey-green auround the canopy, the yellow for the leading edges and the Sky for the rear fuselage stripe.

m_24967173_0.jpg

Next an underside view.

m_24967174_0.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the MSG drying.

Regards.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hello

The Medium Sea Grey dried overnight and I am going to spray the Ocean Grey this morning. It's good to be on Sunday with a 25 hour day !

m_24970456_0.jpg

Regards.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hello again

The Ocean grey has dried. This morning I tried a certain weathering when I sprayed the different panels with the bleached base color.

m_24997462_0.jpg

Regards

Patrick

Edited by VG 33