Star Wars: Original Trilogy DVDs

No. I'm NOT going to buy it. I'm not that puritanist.

The "originality" I think goes too far, if there's only Dolby Surround 2.0 sound. I can fully understand the omission of the "special edition" bits and pieces, but not the downgraded sound. Especially if you have good sound equipment in your living room. Why wasn't it released with full Dolby Digital or DTS, 'cause you can always choose the poor old Pro Logic or plain stereo from your amp anyway?

I DO have warm memories watching the trilogy from VHS tapes with bad picture quality in 4:3 - and with awfull hiss in the mono soundtrack...

Edited by janman
I've got the original VHS release and I have purchased the DVD SE sets too. THATS IT!!! I'm not buying anymore.

I must admit, I'm with Elmo on this one. How many excuses will they come up with for releasing another original trilogy set? I have the VHS as well. I bought the DVD's, but I avoided the SE, I have the original movie set with no extras. That's all I need. Personally I found the remastered editions with the extra effects to be hokey for the most part.

Randy

Just a foot note to all of this...

Forbes Magazine reports that the Star Wars empire has generated over $20 Billion dollars in revenue for Lucasfilms. :rofl:

I wonder how much of that is from video sales of all kinds and just how many people out there own multiple copies of the trilogy set?

Randy

I'll own up to it.. I've owned no less than 3 VHS versions of the trilogy, and have the DVD version of the Special Edition - BUT, that's it for that...maybe if something new comes out, like the talk of him doing some in-betweeners or things that happened at the time of the others...or we could always hope for 7, 8 and 9...

From reading various DVD related sites (Digital Bits, etc...) this was a case of Lucas responding to customer demand as much as anything else.

I have NOT bought the crappy SE versions because they changed things. Lucas, in his illegal narcotic haze, changed things. Important things. He tried to make Jabba "Kinder, Gentler" -- my ARSE! He tried to make Han less of a rogue by making the Rodian shoot first -- The HELL!

He made a lot of things worse. That's why I've not bought any SW DVDs to date. I don't buy VHS because the quality is usually bad and tapes can be eaten, wiped, fogged, or just ruined by magnets, electricity, or hell, even being stored properly (they degrade over time).

So I, for one, WILL buy these, if I have any money.

All I can say is "It's about damn time!!!!"

what im wondering is: does this mean the 'origional' as in not cleaned up in any way shape or form, or the cleaned up versions minus the added scenes?

if its the second, id definatly buy it, but if its jsut the origional edition ive got those on VHS anyway.

It's gonna be really funny when people complain about the "crappy Dolby 2.0 soundtrack, the crappy, scratched picture quality, etc." I'd only buy these if they were better than the old VHS versions I have. I have the SE DVD's, but it would be nice to hear the old Ewok song and the old Jabba's palace song again.

OH, and I saw a suggestion on another board that with all these options, we could essentially edit up our own "perfect editions." We could take the nice clean picture and sound off the SE DVD's, and replace the scenes we don't like with the original scenes. Then no one could b!+ch

As a complete Star Wars nut, I own the original trilogy films on just about every format going, VHS, Laserdisc and the SE's on DVD.

And yes, I will be buying the unaltered trilogy DVD's as well.

:thumbsup:

OH, and I saw a suggestion on another board that with all these options, we could essentially edit up our own "perfect editions." We could take the nice clean picture and sound off the SE DVD's, and replace the scenes we don't like with the original scenes. Then no one could b!+ch

"make and edit your own star wars movie" :cheers: a kind of "shake and edit"

Well, I have never bougth any of the VHS tapes, waiting for the DVDs... Being Star wars (I mean first trilogy) nut since my childhood, I'll certainly buy this new one... (even if I think GL deserve to be

bashed for both the new trilogy and some crappy added or changed scenes in the first : Han shoots first)

Not a chance he's getting any more of my $$.

Too much slimy marketing in the past, "The LAST time you'll EVER be able to get this series in XYW format EVER again!"

Technically true since every release since then has been slightly different, but slimy semantic advertising word mongering is not a way to sell more disks, tapes, ipod downloads, whatever.

I prefer the orig version (Han shoots first), but am not willing to spend the premium $$ for it, especially given how badly Vol 1-2 stunk on ice.

My US$0.02, your miliage may vary

Mike

When the BBC released the Doctor Who serial "Ark in Space", they replaced the old cheezy soda-bottle-on-a-string special effects with fancy new CGI. But -- and I think this was brilliant -- you can go to the extras menu and turn off the new CGI and watch the original version. It's perfectly seamless.

Meanwhile Lucas releases a whole new VHS or DVD set to cover every possible permutations.

"Pray I don't alter it any further..."

(Hopefully he will eventually release a revised special edition of the prequel trilogy to make it so that it doesn't suck.)

Word has it that there's a prequel Special Edition in the works. All I know about it so far is that they replaced the crappy puppet Yoda from Episode 1 with digital Yoda. You can actually see a clip of this on the SW DVD's somewhere.

Word has it that there's a prequel Special Edition in the works.

I'll probably doubledip for the original trilogy, sucker that I am, but not for Ep I-III... I must draw the line somewhere.

Cheers,

Andre

I'll be getting this one...and if I ever upgrade to HD-DVD or Blu-ray (VHS/Beta anyone?), which right now seems unlikely since I would need to by a new TV to replace my 2 year old HDTV (image constraint...my TV has no HDMI connections)...I'll get the HD versions as well.

The story going around now (theforce.net) is that the new Star Wars will be a TV series set between Episodes 3 and 4.

I know I am in the minority here, but I enjoyed the PT...sure, call me a fanboy, I can take it :worship: , but I watched The Phantom Menace again a week or so (the first time in about 2 years) and I have to say that I enjoyed it more now than I did in 1999. In the same vein, as much as I enjoyed AOTC in 2002, I find it now ranks at the bottom with ROTJ. ROTS is making a strong run at taking over the top spot on my list from ESB.

My rankings (for fun)

1a. Empire Strikes Back

1b. Revenge of the Sith

3. A New Hope

4. The Phantom Menace

5. Attack of the Clones

6. Return of the Jedi

:thumbsup:

Brian

I'll probably get it, been holding off for ahile due to other demands, such as more models :lol:.

Yay, a return to the annoying, but still memorable Ewok song.

Matt

PS No Star wars at all in my collection yet.

• 2 weeks later...

And since in the Star Wars ROTS DVD we had an Easter Egg of Yoda doing hip-hop? Any chance we might see Yoda break-dancing in the Easter Eggs of the Original editions?

Memo to George: OK...ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

One new bit of news on this release. Apparently the film is NOT going to be in Anamorphic widescreen...just a repop of the 1993 laserdisc version.

While I will still probably get it, so i an have the "original" films I remember from my childhood, it does tick me off that we have to settle for subpar quality.

For more info, check out thedigitalbits.com. Bill Hunt, the editor, had a pretty major meltdown about it, and I totally agree with him.

Brian