Vickers Valiant from Mach 2

Mike,

Not much help I know, but this is the one and only Mach 2 kit I own (Dassault Falcon). It fits where it touches but it's quite a fun build; challenging but by no means unbuildable. Other Mach 2 kits are similar from what I've read.

There's a review of the Falcon kit in the gallery somewhere, look under "Airliners".

Any injection moulded Valiant has to better than none ! (Surely ?)

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart Porteous
  • 2 weeks later...
If the contrail vac is anything like... No Michael... don't slag off the Sanger Stirling again :thumbsup: I'll pass!

Aim72 were offering a B1 AND a B2, but can I get them to sell me one? Nope... they're having "family difficulties" which have been going on for about a year now... Shame... now they'll miss out :blink:

All I want is to see some sprue shots & maybe an inbox review.. and then see it's actually for sale somewhere... then I'll spend some of my birthday money from Tuesday :D

I managed to get the AIM72 (Historic Wings) Valliant at SMW 2005, it was a toss up between getting the Valliant or the Nimrod, and as Airfix had just announced an injection Nimrod.....

The AIM72 kit is quite nice, big solid sheets of parts, white metal details, etc; but you'll need to do quite a bit of re-scribing as some of it's a bit hit and miss.

I've been trying to get the AIM72 Nimrod but keep missing it on evil-bay, I won a Formaplane Nimrod from eBay last week - I'm still waiting for it to be deliverd....... :woo:

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay chaps. The pic was from another forum, still awaiting more detailed sprue shots/comments. Early reports are favourable. Anyone here got one yet? I understand our East Anglian friends have sold all their stock.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep
Sorry for the delay chaps. The pic was from another forum, still awaiting more detailed sprue shots/comments. Early reports are favourable. Anyone here got one yet? I understand our East Anglian friends have sold all their stock.

peebeep

Picked it up from Luschvart Aviation Megastore before they arrived at Hannants. On the sprues it looks pretty good the odd bits had not been completly formed such as the control columns, bomb trolley towing bar and one edge of the Blue Danube.

Build wise i've managed to assemble the airframe and it went together pretty well, the fit is no worse than the onther V-bomber kits although one wing required a bit of work in joining as the wheel well and intakes seemed to be too deep for the wing.

Detail wise you get a nice upper cockpit tub detailed seperate wheel wells and all the vortex generators. The cockpit it limited to just the flight deck so those wishing to open the cabin door will need to create a scratch built the lower cockpit area. The bombay is moulded shut but you do get a Blue danube on a trolley. Detail is finely scribbed although some panel lines will need renewing folowing assembly.

Decals are for XD818 & WP812 and use different fonts, the only squadron decal being for 214 Sqdn. In schemes ranging fro the Aluminium o Anit-flash White to the later camo scheme

Considering its popularity it would be nice to see somebody do a decal sheet for it with thw stencilling in the Black or later anti-flash blues.

I was intending to finish mine as XD823 from the Operation Grapple tests but have discovered a slight problem. These aircraft used an unusual font that hasn't been covered by the decal makers in the correct sizesm nor have i been able to match the font to print my own - Oh Bugger and i really didn't want to be stuck with WD818 as most people will use this example.

hitchxd823.jpg

(Note the shape and style of the 2)

Cheers

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Kit, though I am a VICTOR man at heart but you got to love all the V-Bombers.

Thanks much for the Review. :rolleyes: Was enlightning to say the least.

What "Chaps" me the most is what you said about the so called "quality" of these kits. With the prices they are asking for these things you shouldn't encounter stuff that looks like it came off a model from the 1950's or 60's. GEEZE! :)

<S>!

just like buses you wait for one then two come along at the same time ,i have a friend who is a journalist and works free lance for variuos magazines including modeling titles ,he has spoken to the airfix people and they are doing the valiant next year expect a big annoucement at the nats in november

I bought mine yesterday!!! It will take some TLC to bash together...It'll keep me busy while we wait to see if Airfix do indeed get funding in 2007....

Yes indeed...Will also be itneresting to see what Airfix will offer now that the forums have disappeared. There is little doubt that they had a big influence on Airfix and what is now coming and also what has just passed. I'm a little surprised they didn't keep that suggestion forum going.

Wonder if Mach2 went for the Valiant based on the Airfix forums? Ordered one Valiant from Mach2 also :D

Matt

Wonder if Mach2 went for the Valiant based on the Airfix forums? Ordered one Valiant from Mach2 also :D

Matt

Yes, I wondered the same! As for the kit itself - its hard work - to say the least. The plastic is like a cross between an injection moulded kit and a vac-form!! I've managed to bludgeon the wings together - the milliput will be sanded down tomorrow!!!

Thanks for keeping us updated on your project here! Yours will certainly be better than mine, once I get to it. All I'm adding is new seats. But, not going to do it for awhile, sick of the colour white as I'm just finishing 1/72 Concorde.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome work thus far. A much ado about nothing? <_< Sounds liek the Airfix Concorde haha. Talk about mistakes I've made on it that I see. At least it looks like Concorde.

Which...Is why sometimes I like non-modellers to see pictures haha. Would never invite any ARC members around, hell no. Not at this time anyway, I'll improve.

As for your mouldings, shame about that issue...Sure you didn't spill any bitter or lager or tea in it? : :cheers:

Matt