My Display Base project

The base is a IMEX 12.5″ x 11″ case. The picture below is after a coating of Tamiya grey primer. Next step is to map out the concret joints and do some pre-shading.

Base0001.jpg

After letting it dry, I drew out the concret pattern with a fine tip marker. Then used a dark grey to preshade. I also lightly sprayed various blocks with grey to darken them up. Most of the preshading will be covered by the final color.

Base0002.jpg

The next step is the top coat. Does anyone have any recommendations for color? Btw, this will be for 1:72 scale.

With the help Efrainh, aka ‘EF’, I found the perfect color for the base. I used Polly Scale’s Aged Concrete, from their model railroad colors line.

Base0003.jpg

Next step decided on any ramp striping. The redraw the grid pattern.

Well the taxiing stripe has been painted and the grid pattern redrawn.

Base0004.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the hand drawn cracks.

Base0005.jpg

Once the clear coat dries, I will add some oil stains and soot.

BTW, anyone know what the correct grid size is for 1:72? i know some of you do, i just cant remember where that flippin' post has gone where i read it first!! GRRRRRRRR lol

Good job on that Dio, looks pretty darn real

One thing though, don't you think that having the grid at an angle to the actual base makes it look more real? Just My Two Cents

• 3 weeks later...