Some detail shots of a r-73 missile and a R-27

Hi All I was at Nellis for the last month working on the A-10C Test program and of course I had to go to the threat museum!!! Any ways they have added a couple of weapons to the Fulcrum on display so I took some shots for us modellers. Hope you like them.

First is the R-73 mounted on the MiG-29

mig29r73.jpg

Next is the front of the missile I found the small mass balances very interesting.

r73front.jpg

Now the rear showing the thrust vectoring mechanism. I geuss the red thing are to prevent the "ailerons" from drooping?

r73rear.jpg

Now a overall shot of an R-27 (AA-10) I found it interesting that the fins are unpainted metal rather than black as I and other folks have painted them on our models :worship:

aa-10.jpg

Hope you enjoy! I have some shots of the interior of the Fulcrum if your interested.

Craig

For good reason; it's a very good missile.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks to AIM/ACEVAL, the Soviets figured out what they needed to do to go from a generation behind to a generation ahead in SRM capability. Navy and USAF couldn't agree on specific technology to pursue out of AIMVAL for SRM (although AMRAAM was the MRM result). Congress then doomed both services to AIM-9M until they got along. They couldn't at the time so a Family of Weapons MOA was signed with Europeans who were going to buy AMRAAM from US and build ASRAAM for US. That original ASRAAM was under development, but stumbled when Germans couldn't fully fund their piece (seeker*). Meanwhile, MiG-29 with HMS and AA-11 (R-73) entered service barely 10 years after AIMVAL. US got tired of waiting in 1990 when JROC told services to develop AIM-9X, which was delivered to warfighter in 2003, almost 30 years after AIMVAL. ASRAAM was restarted after Brits approached US for a seeker (virtually same seeker was chosen for AIM-9X) and French went their own way with MICA.

So who benefited most from AIMVAL?

*That seeker was eventually developed and it is basis for IRIS-T

Now a overall shot of an R-27 (AA-10) I found it interesting that the fins are unpainted metal rather than black as I and other folks have painted them on our models :worship:

That's not as bad as what I've been doing. I've been putting Aphids on my models thinking they were Archers! Not exactly a glaring mistake but suddenly my mighty air force just got downgraded :thumbsup:

But anyways, those are definitely the best pictures of the R-73 Ive ever seen. Quite interesting and Very helpful

GL

(who now knows what an AA-11 actually looks like ;) )

I found it interesting that the fins are unpainted metal rather than black as I and other folks have painted them on our models

The AIM-7, AIM-120, and AIM-9 are all the same way.

Regards,

Murph

The AIM-7, AIM-120, and AIM-9 are all the same way.

Regards,

Murph

Which variants? I could have sworn some of the fins on earlier versions actually were painted black (like AIM-9s).

Which variants? I could have sworn some of the fins on earlier versions actually were painted black (like AIM-9s).

The AIM-9D/G/H/L/M/X all have unpainted, anodized seeker sectons, and the forward fins were unpainted (except for the very earliest AIM-9D's whiich still maintained these in white). Some AIM-9P's are evidently the same way, based on photos of Swiss jets.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Great photos Craig!! Thanks for sharing!

I remember when the center was classified and you needed to be in uniform and with the appropriate clearance to get in (mid-1980s). I was out there four years ago and stunned to find that it's open to the public!

I keep on saying this - but I need to get back to Nellis this year - heck it's only an hour 737 flight from here.

Anyone know when the next Red Flag is scheduled??

ATB -

- Rip -

The AIM-9D/G/H/L/M/X all have unpainted, anodized seeker sectons, and the forward fins were unpainted (except for the very earliest AIM-9D's whiich still maintained these in white). Some AIM-9P's are evidently the same way, based on photos of Swiss jets.

Regards,

Murph

So, no such thing as black painted fins OR seeker heads?

Edited by Horrido

Wow, amazing how much you can learn on a thread these days on ARC,

That Archer looks a mean missile. I had no Idea the AA-10 was soo big, next to that figure its huge.

Also like many I think did not realise the fins were unpainted metal on Russian and NATO missiles.

Cheers Guys

Julien

So, no such thing as black painted fins OR seeker heads?

No, the seeker heads (on 'Winders) are actually a dark metallic color, and the fins are a bit lighter in color, but still metallic. Despite what Hase's painting instructions say :rofl:

:rofl:

AIM-9M-9 CATM. The seeker section is a dark metalic gray (the graphite on a pencil being the best match I have seen), while the fins are a pewter color, again dead matte finish on the fins.

AIM-9M-8, but this one displays an olive tint on the seeker section; that is very common. Also worth pointing out the LANTIRN pod is in two colors, and at least one of the wings on the AIM-9 is white.

Edited by Murph

Thanks, Murph, much obliged. I'd known about the AMRAAMs, but had always been under the perception at least a few of the Sidewinders and Sparrows had black heads/fins. It's greatly appreciated that you're willing to take the time to thoroughly respond and provide good sources to answer our questions (as well as bringing up points leading to more questions, lol). :thumbsup:

Is the "olive tint" just from refraction of the metal, or is it from an actual preservative coating/anodizing?

Man, drives me nuts. Whenever I get good, comprehensive information, all I want is more information. I could have the blasted thing sitting here and I'd STILL be asking questions. lol

Is the "olive tint" just from refraction of the metal, or is it from an actual preservative coating/anodizing?

No it's not just refraction. A good percentage of AIM-9's had that tint, while a good percentage didn't. I think it was just part of the anodization/weathering process. Henry Blecha (who frequently posts here) could probably give you a reason behind it.

Regards,

Murph