hi all

I've been thinking about this for a while, I want a new workbench setup for my room to improve and organize my space. Right now all I've got is an outdoor setup that I don't want to use (just too hot) and a small tray indoors with two shoeboxes full of paints and other stuff. I'd like to get everything organized with a workbench/cabinet that's 31 inches long, 17 inches wide and 27 inches high....I checked various places such as Home Depot and Lowe's, and also on the 'net but haven't found anything that would fit the bill perfectly.

Is there a place I can order workbenches to my own specs? Also what's the best paint bottle storage tray out there that can fit Tamiya, Polly, and Testors jars at once?

Justin

Justin,

You ever thought about making your own? You say you want one thats kinda like a cabinet. Have you prehaps thought of buying a cheep second hand double wardrobe? It would be quite easy to make an extendable self that you can pull of to give you more space when your working, make up some shelves above n below the work space, bobs yer uncle a simple cheep solution. You could even leave the doors on to hide away all the mess? just a thought. I made mine outta a 6' long piece of kitchen worktop, but has no real storage n looks a right royal mess ;) Piant storage, just knock yourself up something out of 8mm MDF. All pretty cheap to achieve and not particularly difficult either

HTH

Matt

Justin,

I bought a couple of 2 drawer file cabinets and put a 32 inch hallow core

door on top of them for the work table. You could get a narrower door,

although the door might be to long for your area. With the 2 file cabinets

I have all kinds of storage. I use those 2 and 3 shelf lazy susans for my

paint storage.

Good luck with whatever you try. :D

Jerry

Justin: Go to a used office furniture store and buy a small desk...with two or three drawers on one side. You can also find computer desk hutches...that's the thing on top of a computer desk with lottsa shelves of various sizes.

This combo works well for me...the desk is steel with 1 inch particle board top finished with laminate. I don't have a photo but trust me ...it was cheap and simple and it works.

Barney

what i did for my workbench was get an old art desk, for drafting, its plenty big enough, and i have some plastic drawers i got from wal-mart, everything is split into diff. drawrs, acrylics in one, sandpaper in the other, laquers in one, etc, i want to build me another one, let me know how yours turns out

josh

Hi Justin and everyone else.

Before I moved into my very own workshop in the garage I used to model in the guest bedroom. Actually I converted the walk-in closet into my model desk/construction area/storage area. I found that I still needed more space but the wife wanted my mess to be hidden (hence the walk-in closet with doors to hide it all away). I picked up at a garage sale a large roll-top bread cabinet (the type that holds two to three large loafs of bread). It's made of nice looking wood, large enough to hold a ton of paint jars, sanding sticks, files and such, and when not in use, you just roll the top down and the mess is all neatly covered and sitting in the open with nobody any the wiser. I picked it up for $5 USD, but even brand new I don't think they are all that expensive. Just an option for hiding the mess that's all. Good luck.

Regards,

Don :D

Hey Y'all,

Watch as I digress. My present work bench is a huge draftman's table. And when I say huge, brother I mean huge!!! (3 1/2' X 5'). But you know what? Because the table is so massive, I can store tons more junk on it. And I'm still left with a small space to build a model on. So my son gave me his old bedroom desk. It's about 2' X 4'. The square footage is less than half, but I'll have three drawers to store stuff away in. I think smaller (with drawers) is the way to go. I'm going to use "L" brackets to clamp a bookcase to the back of the desk so I can store paint jars and have them close at hand. But other than that, the desk should give me lots more room in the den.

Regards,

Randy

My new workbench is now finished!! And I've been working on some of my models (painting/dipping canopies in future) all evening.

I'll post a picture later. It's working great - it's the bottom half of a computer desk, complete with sliding shelves. And I bought a bunch of small trays from Walmart to store paints and tools separately instead of in one big messy pile, I like it much better.

thanks again all!

Justin

Justin,

As far as paint storage goes, I use a spice rack that hangs on the wall. You know, the kind that has little shelves? If you get one of the big ones (3 shelves) it can hold about 30 of the round MM bottles.

Here's a cheap solution to paint storage that my wife came up with; simple wire cutlery racks, mounted on the wall. Because they're wire the 'shelves' can be bent down slighty so that they slope upwards, preventing the bottles falling off. And the labels can all be read from the front. I also have a bunch of Humbrol/Xtracolor tinlets which I keep in those little plastic organiser/storage drawers.

paints.jpg

Guest Deppisch
My present work bench is a huge draftman's table.  And when I say huge, brother I mean huge!!!  (3 1/2' X 5').  But you know what?  Because the table is so massive, I can store tons more junk on it.  And I'm still left with a small space to build a model on.

Isn't that the truth. I got an old kitchen table from my sister in law when she moved. At first it was like modeling in the Grand Canyon now the only clear spot is for my cutting mat.

paints.jpg

Are those Games Workshop paints at the top there?

Have you used their inks for tinting panel lines? I've been thinking of trying this... how well does it work for you? (if that's what you use them for)

Guest ACE MODELER

Hi there,

There are some plans of a workbench in the Tool n Tips page on this site it's under Workbenches (I think.) It has a nice design, I haven't actually tried it yet though.

ACE

Are those Games Workshop paints at the top there?

Have you used their inks for tinting panel lines? I've been thinking of trying this... how well does it work for you? (if that's what you use them for)

They are Games Workshop paints, but acrylics, not inks. The GW white is one of the best whites I've found for both brush painting and airbrushing- it's really white (not yellow) and very opaque. I used the GW paints for my Warhammer models (see 'Take a Walk' under the sci-Fi discussion board). For tinting panel lines I use thinned Winsor & Newton watercolours with a drop of dishwasher soap.