Alcohol and Tamiya paints

I've been using rubbing alcohol to thin and clean tamiya acrylics. It was 70% isopropyl. Now I've just come across 99% isoporpanol, and am wondering if that would be any better for painting. Any input?

I agree with Toad.

I've used 70% isopropyl cut with about 50% distilled water for years to thin acrylics, including Tamiya. The 99% will dry much faster.

Tamiya's own thinner is actually very good too.

When Tamiya paints first arrived in the U.K., we read the label, on the thinners, and realised it was 50/50 water to iso-propyl-alcohol. We thought it was a bit cheeky, charging us for water.

Edgar

I actually like it better when paint dries faster ;) (I use the 91% alcohol)

The faster drying IMHO, reduces the risk of some little stray piece of dust landing on a wet finish. Any little particles are blown off with a computer CO2 duster spray.

EDIT: On what Toad said earlier on clogging tips, i usually keep a small container of lacquer thinner or Aztek airbrush cleaner nearby, along with cotton swabs. If a clog occurs, simply dip in to the cleaning solution, take a quick swipe at the tip, and 99% of the time, the paint is flowing again. (Just remember to spray on another surface first, because 100% of the time there is a little 'paint goo' that will shoot out)

Edited by AnthonyWan