Interesting that that photo, often depicted as the last flight out from the US Embassy, is actually a helicopter on top of an apartment complex loading Vietnamese citizens about twelve hours prior to the last helicopter out. Here's an interesting article from two perspectives:

http://www.mishalov.com/Vietnam_finalescape.html

This is probably closer to the last one out:

"A total of thirty four CH-53s, twenty seven CH-46s, six UH-1Es and eight AH-1Js were committed and flew 682 sorties between first light on 29 April and 0753 on 30 April. At 0458, Capt Gerry Berry of HMM-165 in "Lady Ace 9" lifted the U.S. Ambassador to safety. The last personnel evacuated, Marines of the combined security force, were lifted out at 0753 on 30 April aboard "Swift 2-2", an H-46 from HMM-164. A total of 6,968 persons had been evacuated. Flight crews averaged 13 hours in the air, and Capt Berry was high timer with 18.3 hours."

from http://www.popasmoke.com/chronology.html. All the same that Huey is such a famous image I think it would be a great addition to the Vietnam Group Build. All I'm doing is throwing in some history.

Edited by David Walker

Thanks Dave. Another interesting thing I read is that van Es, the photographer, tried for years to have the caption on that picture corrected and even tually just gave up on it. The aparement building was at 22 Gia Long Street, which is where it is thought that the CIA station chief and several opperatives lived. That would make sense that they reinforced the elevator shaft for a helo landing and it just happened to be an Air America huey.

• 1 month later...

well, i finally have all the materials I need for this build. got my Italeri kit, Eduard PE, and Mike Grant Air America decals. Now, finding time to get started, thats a different story. But hopefully I can get going some time this week and post a little progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally a little bit of progress to report, but no pics yet, not really enough progress for that. Just started putting the PE into the cockpit area. Lots of little detail, including 30 little tie downs. Once I have enough for show and tell, I will take pics

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have some real progress to show this time. The cockpit is together and painted, including the Eduard PE stuff. I still need to weather the cockpit with a wash, some dry brushing and some paint chipping on the load floor, but all the bits and pieces are in.

cockpitpaint3.jpg

cockpitpaint.jpg

cockpitpaint4.jpg

cockpitpaint2.jpg

yes me too. i had been using it as a late night study break while studying for the bar, which is now over. hopefully that means i will have more modeling time to do this project and my b-24 for the Heavies GB

The funny thing is, the last helicopter I built was a Huey, but that was in July of 1976! I remember working on it in my room as the tall ships were coming into the harbor during the celebration of the US bicentennial. And I'm pretty sure it's the only helicopter I've done.

Edited by David Walker
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally had some more time to work on this bugger. The interior is washed and brushed and installed and the fuse halves are together, though not filled and sanded yet.

fusetogether.jpg

Here is a look at the front seat and center consol.

seatandcenterconsol.jpg

And here is the rear compartment seats.

rearseats.jpg

There is a rather nasty seam along the bottom that will take some cleaning up, but hopefully I can keep things moving along. Just finished dremmeling out the screens on the engine so I can replace them with PE bits. Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

So, its been a really long time since I posted anything. I got really busy starting work and finishing up the Heavies GB, but now its time to make a push to try to finish this in time. Fuse is closed and sanded, I am adding the engine etc. next. I managed to crack the main windshield in two, so I made a rather crude smash-u-form windscreen to replace it, we'll see how that works. I will post some pics once I get the engine attached. Hopefully I will get this one done in time!

thanks. yes i hope that i have enough time to finish, there are alot of little fidly PE bits for the exterior plus paint etc. The improvised windshield doesnt have the best fit, so i have added copious amounts of putty in an attempt to blend it in somewhat. lots of sanding in my future! i have assembled the engine, some nice mesh PE parts here, but have to sand the seam still. slow but sure, just hopefully not too slow now! thanks for looking.

puttywindshield.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by jrallman