Just a quick Announcement

WEHEY!!!!!

Ive just got the Top Gun Decals (and kit) from Airfix in 1/72 for an F-14

And, i got a nice big F-14 (1:32) from Revell

ITS TOMCAT MANIA!!!!!

the guy says that hes put together some of the model (1/72), so im wondering what the best 1/72 F-14A model is?

Oh, jeez. You've just opened a firestorm with that question. :-)

Pretty much the general consensus is that the Hasegawa "new tool" 1/72 Tomcats are the best of the best, with Fujimi being a close second despite some better features.

After that it's anyone's guess, but they're not the high-tech wonderkits of the two mentioned. I personally am a huge fan of the "old tool" Hasegawa Tomcat despite its age, raised panel lines and obvious shortcomings; but whenever I want a simple Tomcat project with some scratchbuild modification to do without the headache of the high tech kits, I go for that one!

Now that you mention it, EF, I've heard that from many people, and yet when I tried to build one myself it was an awful experience! I ended up scrapping it after a week of trying and using some of the admittedly great parts such as the tailhook, chinpods and AIM-9L's on another kit. I think the last straw for me was the canopy.

I got a problem

Which kits are the New Tool ones? what box art am i looking for

Most of the latest kits for sale online are based on the >> Atlantic Fleet Squadron << #00544 [E14], but are boxed as Limited Editions with different decals (and a higher price). If you can, get hold of the Atlantic Fleet Squadron boxing - its cheaper.

Heres a list of the kits I have used so far >> Tomcat Kit Section <<. Most of the F-14A kits are based on the Atlantic Fleet Squadron kit

HTH

Edited by Andy Mullen

What about Revells F-14a in 1:72, is there any problems with that? Ive been building Airfix's F-14a downstairs, and the mate on the front fuselage is a bugger!!!

I really do not like small scale!!!