Original BSG Babes vs. New BSG Babes

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but compare the following:

Original female cast: Maren Jensen (Athena), Laurette Spang (Cassie), Anne Lockhart (Sheba)

Current female cast: Tricia Helfer (Six), Grace Park (Boomer), Katie Sackhoff (Starbuck), Kandyse McClure (Dualla) - sorry, Mary McDonnell doesn't count

The new cast members definitely play more significant roles and have stronger character development.

That said, I remember tuning in every week just to see Maren Jensen. But, Grace and Kandyse are right up there for me. I find Tricia Hilfer a little too 'supermodel' for my tastes, while the role of Starbuck makes Katie Sackhoff a little too butch.

- sorry, Mary McDonnell doesn't count

Why not?

For us ,ummm, somewhat older fans of they series, I for one consider her quite appealing. To be fair, I also find Kandyse (Dualla) very attractive, and Trisha Helfer, well.....Katie Sackoff is pretty too, in her own way, they're downplaying it in favor of building her charactor.

As for the original series..IMHO, no-one in the new batch can hold a candle to Maren Jensen (Athena). What a woman :( , with those exotic features and waves of dark hair..I only saw her in one other thing, an old Wes Craven horror flick called Deadly Blessing (movie was lousy, but she looked great, a very young Sharon Stone was also in it). I understand she left Hollywood, frustrated at the whole system. Too bad, I would have liked to have seen her on the new show in some capacity.

Felinoid

12-05-06

I have seen both....watched the original when it was originally screened!!

And the new cast is much sexier...I mean, did you seethe "Downloaded" episode????

:blink: :o

As SFX magazine put it...Grace Park, naked, in gooey slime, handcuffed (well, strapped in for her safety)..hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Liam

:( :banana:

Ohhhhhh I like this cast including McDonnell. Hey I'm a young guy who happens to like older more sophisticated women :touche: . Mind you I wouldn't kick the rest of the ladies out for eating crackers either. B)

:angry:

Emil

Visually I think the women of the original series were more attractive.

However they did nothing. Ever. They were tokens. Pawns. I'd not trade even one of the "new" BSG women for all of them. The thing that makes truly wonderful programming is the characters, and made them far far better now than they did then.

Maren Jensen as Lt Athena - much better looking than the actresses on the current show.

Maren_brown.babe.jpg

Athena started as the tactical officer on the bridge - on the current series, that would be Lt Gaeda or Lt Dualla. Later she became a Viper pilot due to a disease that swept through the squadrons - all the guys got sick, and all the women in uniform stepped up. From that episode on, there were plenty of female Viper pilots.

Anne Lockhart as Lt Sheba - maybe not as cute as Grace Park, but certainly able to turn more heads than Katee Sackhoff...

250px-Ltsheba.jpg

Sheba was introduced in the episode where the Battlestar Pegasus was found - she's Cmdr Caine's daughter and a Viper pilot whose skills rival or exceed those of Apollo and Starbuck (their first meeting is at the controls of their respective Vipers, each believing the other to be a Cylon trick. Sheba nearly shoots Starbuck down before her wingman recognizes his voice).

Hardly useless characters - they were often used quite well. Of course, they don't exist in the new series. The producers got rid of every female character, then turned some of the male characters female, had the actresses act like men (especially Ms Sackhoff...) and called it "groundbreaking". Feh. I like the new show, don't get me wrong, but I really think they should've called it something else and gone in their own direction.

I dunno... I got something about women that I KNOW could kick my @$$. they scare me, and don't turn me on on in the least. So Katee Sackhoff... not so hot. On the other hand, Grace Park... I'd do things to her that'd make her parents angry. mmmm. Sorry... got lost in my own little world there, imagining the end of "Home part 1." with an army of naked Boomers. whew.. i'm ok now. oh yeah, and Six... also wicked hot.

Original female cast: Maren Jensen (Athena), Laurette Spang (Cassie), Anne Lockhart (Sheba)

Ahem: and JANE SEYMOUR (Serena). Granted that she was only in the first few episodes, but if we're going to discuss "BSG Babes" (God I feel so nerdy just typing that phrase), I demand that she be included.

serina2.jpg

Cheesecake is highly perishable: fashions change, and it's not entirely fair to judge the Original BSG actresses by what happens to be considered attractive today. They were "babes" by late 1970s standards.

By the same token, I think the current female characters reflect the current fashion -- heterosexual butch, I guess I would call it. I suspect (well, I hope) it will look just as dated in 25 years.

Remember also that when you see people on TV or in publicity photos, they've had makeup and airbrushing and favorable lighting...

By the way: Laurette Spang comments in the special features of the DVD set and she still looks very pretty -- shorter hair but otherwise not much different.

Ahem: and JANE SEYMOUR (Serena). Granted that she was only in the first few episodes, but if we're going to discuss "BSG Babes" (God I feel so nerdy just typing that phrase), I demand that she be included.

Oh, that's right...now SHE'S A BABE and even looks great today at 50-ish. She probably should be considered in the same vein as Lucy Lawless' character. And between the two, I'd vote for Ms. Seymour.

I'm gonna be the odd man out but...Number Six doesn't do much for me. She's too...obvious. She's an attractive woman, but she (and her bleach-blonde hair) doesn't appeal to me. Besides, when I hear the name Number Six, I think Patrick McGoohan - "I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Quick question. When the new Battlestar was releasedon disc, the released the U.K. version. What's the difference between that and the U.S. release?

13-05-06

Trojansamaurai...never mind voting...I'd rather just be between the two of them..nyuk nyuk nyuk.

And gentleman, if I may draw your attention to the photo of Ms.Seymour attached to this topic....she's rather happy to see someone....ahem! :thumbsup:

Yadda deeda yadda

Liam

said it before, say it again..Grace Park, naked in goo with handcuffs.....hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My faves from the original cast, Jane Seymore (Serena), Laurette Spang (Cassiopia) and Maren Jensen (Athena).

Number 6 doesnt doo much for me either, she reminds me too much of some of the girls that work in the mall, they think they are super models (get real girls your working a dead end retail job),

Grace Park and Katie Sackoff are very hot in my honest opinion, and there is definitely something going on with Ms McLure also.

Oh, and for all us Canadians, the episode "Downloaded" is on tonight on Space.

I'm gonna be the odd man out but...Number Six doesn't do much for me. She's too...obvious. She's an attractive woman, but she (and her bleach-blonde hair) doesn't appeal to me.

She always struck me as rather cadaverous. Granted that this is probably deliberate -- the whole femme-fatale thing.

• 2 weeks later...