Hi all

Here are a couple of questions I have..........bear with me,the mind ain't what it used to be :angry: .I have never been in a GB before so be gentle with me

1...Do I have to register somewhere for the build?

2...How many pics are needed when finished?

3...Where do I keep track of what's going on?

4...What happens if I don't get done on time? (is there a death penalty or somthing!)

5...Are we limited in the build as in aftermarket etc?

6...and any other info or tips you can add would be great

Thanks guy's and girls

Tony :touche:

That's a lot of questions Tony.

Group builds are hosted and run by volunteers. Generally people interested in the subject and willing to put in the effort to organize it. Part of that is that GBs aren't really structured, nor do they all follow the same format. But the general rule is to announce your intention of finishing a model, then post a picture when its done. Some GBs create their own websites.

1...Do I have to register somewhere for the build?

Yup. Registering generally consists of emailing the GB host and telling him/her you're name and what you want to build. Eg: Joe Smith, Tamiyagawa Flugerschmitt 238.

2...How many pics are needed when finished?

I can't recall a limit, and most modelers like seeing more pictures.

3...Where do I keep track of what's going on?

ARC sancuned GBs get space on ARC. Check under the GB section further down on the forums.

4...What happens if I don't get done on time? (is there a death penalty or somthing!)

You're name is announced with signs and fireworks... no, just kidding. The only thing I've heard is that some GBs that have prizes only include completed entries in their draws.

5...Are we limited in the build as in aftermarket etc?

That all depends on the GB.

Hopefully that gives a little bit of an idea as to what group builds are all about.

Edited by Trevor
Come on over to the Dark Side, Tony, join the Heavies GB! :whistle:

J.C.

Well I do have this 1/48 B-17 Memphis Belle I've been wanting to build! :blink:

Tony

Yes, yes! it is your...destiny!

Honestly though, GBs are a really great way to decide which kits in your stash to build next, plus you get lots of advice and help from everyone else in the GB. And you never know, you might just win a cool prize!

Yes, yes! it is your...destiny!

Honestly though, GBs are a really great way to decide which kits in your stash to build next, plus you get lots of advice and help from everyone else in the GB. And you never know, you might just win a cool prize!

Thanks JR

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I took a few minutes to look for a similar question about "group builds" before posting mine. Now I'm clear about them, and I don't feel stupid to boot.

On a slightly different note, after lurking around here for several months and reading everything I can get my hands on (incuding three times through the Big Flanker Thread - all 80-some pages), I have been so very impressed by the deferential and respectful attutudes here as well as the skills of this group of dedicated modelers on ARC. It's a great place to hang out and learn.

Hey look, I'm young again!

Greg Oakley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

first, you need to find the banner you want. most banners can be found in the banners forum, under the group builds section. if the one you want isnt there, many group builds also have a website and the banners are there. if you still cant find it, ask someone who has the banner you like where they got it.

once you have found the banner you like, right click on it. in that menu, click properties. in the properties window, where it says address (url) there will be a file name with the ending .jpg or .gif. highlight that and copy it (control and C)

now click my controls on the ARC forums (at the top) then click edit signature (along the left) in the text window that opens, click the button at the top that has a tree on it. when that opens a text box, paste the banner file name there (control and P). hit enter and you should be good to go!

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay...I'm kind of a newbie, too.

I've built a stash and it looks like I'm a ripe contender for group build participation. The thing is, I've got some ideas for group builds. Now, I wouldn't know what I was doing 'moderating' a GB, but I suppose I could learn. I'll just throw out my ideas and see what happens here....

1. DRAFTED! Commercial craft inducted into military service.

2. FLOATER! Seaplanes: Flying Boats and Floatplanes.

3. Cargo Cult. From mail, parcels, and officers to rocket chunks, gettin' it there on time and in one piece.

4. Ploughs. Ground-pounding ground support craft, turning the dirt in front of the lines.

Do you think there would be any interest?

Okay...I'm kind of a newbie, too.

I've built a stash and it looks like I'm a ripe contender for group build participation. The thing is, I've got some ideas for group builds. Now, I wouldn't know what I was doing 'moderating' a GB, but I suppose I could learn. I'll just throw out my ideas and see what happens here....

1. DRAFTED! Commercial craft inducted into military service.

2. FLOATER! Seaplanes: Flying Boats and Floatplanes.

3. Cargo Cult. From mail, parcels, and officers to rocket chunks, gettin' it there on time and in one piece.

4. Ploughs. Ground-pounding ground support craft, turning the dirt in front of the lines.

Do you think there would be any interest?

Hi

best way to know is to post a thread in General Discussion and see how it goes. Has for moderatin you can specify in your thread that you are looking for a Co mod and im sure someone will step up to help

THIS is a good link to read about GB

Cheers

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • 1 year later...

THIS is a good link to read about GB

Cheers

Neo

Hi Neo, the link is broken to the "read about GB" ... a new GB is starting up in the Real Space category in a coupla weeks and I wanted to read up on the guidelines and stuff.

Is the link re-linkable?

Pete

• 3 years later...