Does anyone know if there are or will be a new kit coming out for the F-22 in 1:48 scale (other then Revells and Italeri which I heard are poo-poo)? I want one, but the forementioned manufacturers kits are supposed to be a nightmare. Any info?

No new kits that I know of.

The existing kit has it's problems (Italeri and RoG are the same kit):

- Poor fit of intakes / just be careful and take your time

- Poor fit of closed doors / if you want to close the doors, do so before you assemble the fuselage

- Step between the forward and aft upper fuselage halves / assemble these first before mating them with the lower fuselage like the instructions would have you do

- Poor painting instructions /

- Crappy decals / But TwoBobs is finally going to do a Raptor sheet, so pick up a set when they come out

- Cockpit is easy - everything's black and use the decal for the front control panel

- Tenax is weak on the plastic. I use it to position parts and CA to hold them

The overall shape is good and I've seen some well built Raptor kits here. So while the F-22 is a challenge, you could do a lot worse.

Just to add to what Trigger said, the main manufacturers tend to be rather tight lipped anymore about future releases to avoid having somebody beat them to the punch.

Regards,

Murph

Yes, there will be a new tool F-22 eventually.

No, there hasn't been anything announced by anyone.

There are likely a couple of manufacturers who have started looking into possibly producing the subject (which may or may not pan out) and may have started work on research (which may or may not be put on indefinite hold), but you're probably looking at at least two years before anything gets released (and that would be very optimistic).

It's just a matter of time. If you want one in the short term, go with the Italeri/Revell kit. If you're willing to wait, something better will come around. But waiting is the key term.

No, there hasn't been anything announced by anyone.

There are likely a couple of manufacturers who have started looking into possibly producing the subject (which may or may not pan out) and may have started work on research (which may or may not be put on indefinite hold), but you're probably looking at at least two years before anything gets released (and that would be very optimistic).

It's just a matter of time. If you want one in the short term, go with the Italeri/Revell kit. If you're willing to wait, something better will come around. But waiting is the key term.

Man, I'd love to see a Revell/monogram like their F-15E and Rafale!!

Just a theory: I'm growing suspicious that while Italeri merrily kitted the prototypes in the 1990s of the superhornet and the F/A-22, the rest of the model companies learned by experience about getting burned by kitting prototypes, instead of waiting for the production models to enter service. Tamiya's A-10 and F-16, Monogram's F-16....has Hasagawa been guilty of this, too? Tank kits have had this problem, too. Note that Monogram and Hasagawa waited until the superhornet entered service to start work on their kits.

Can't speak for the Super Hornet, but I'm not aware of any significant external changes between F-22 91-001 circa September 1997, and the Raptors in line service today, especially along any lines similar to the differences between the YF-16 and F-16 FSD aircraft.

However, I think you're onto something with the manufacturers hesitating, but now it's because of the long development time of the F-22 and the risks of cancellation it faced. Just look at the RAH-66 Comanche.

Edited by Trigger74
Just has Hasagawa been guilty of this, too?

The F-20. I also don't know what they were thinking of with the X-29. Along the same vein would be their first F-117 kit (based on the first released photograph) and their MiG-29 also, both with glaring inaccuracies because of insufficient references.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
The F-20. I also don't know what they were thinking of with the X-29. Along the same vein would be their first F-117 kit (based on the first released photograph) and their MiG-29 also.

Regards,

Murph

It couldn't have been worse than the ERTL F-117

f117a.jpg

Anyone look at Testor's B-2?

Nah, that's nothing... check out Revell's "B-2."

REVELL%20B-2%20BOX%20ART.jpg

..."authentic details?" :whistle:

And Hasegawa has fallen into the trap of releasing kits before their time. For example, their F-15E. IT's not a bad kit of the demonstrator (which was a B-model) but it ain't no Echo.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Yeah, but the problem is we've been waiting for a LONG time and there is plenty of references to at least make a decent kit! :worship:

Here's how my Raptor came out.

fa22nb_title_2.jpg

Took a long time and alot of elbow grease but it came out looking like a raptor I think :worship:

The panel lines are out on the left fwd upper fuselage. I used the Eduard set and it helps a bit for the details etc.

Let me know if you want any more tips :cheers:

HTH

Nimrod

Edited by nimrod77