landing gear or not?

hey ppl i am kinda new to this awesome site, but anyway. i just bought my first F-14 Revel kit i think its the ghost riders squardon one. i am trying to deceide to have the landing gears on or have them off... dont really know what to do about it.

Hey, welcome aboard Jin

Some things to consider:

Some aircraft look better (a matter of opinion) with the gear retracted than with the gear down

How do the doors fit on your kit? It may be so much work to close them that it is more work than installing the gear. There are techniques to make it easier though. Having done a few gear up models, i can help you there.

If you do make it gear up, how do you want to display the model? Hanging, on a stand?

Let us know

Pete

i want landing gear up cuz i didnt wanna bother to clean up the dust while worrying breaking it off. but putting them down seems to be the better idea. either i find some way to clean them or i will just figure out to have closed doors...

You may find that since the gear are on the underside of the model, they are fairly well shielded from settling dust.

If you are worried about dusting, and that is a valid concern, try getting a soft paintbrish or something like the brush that women use to apply blush. Soft and fluffy with long bristles. I use a fan brush. That lestens the chances of breaking off parts.

Pete

I have 10 plane models, and not a single one has its gears down, and thats because of layness. I dont want to spend ages trying to detail the landing gear!! it takes long enought trying to apply a full wash to some kits, especially 1:32 or massive 1:48 bombers

I have done that exact kit both gear up and gear down before. The Landing gears on the Revell tomcat kit are pretty sturdy. I'd say do it "gears down" just because doing them up would require some modification of the doors (to remove the hinges)

Gear uo - always :D

Seriously, it's up to your personal preferencecs. I have the same view as Ollie.

<_<

Ps: Look at the text below my avatar :o

Edited by hatchet