Agusta Westland HMA.1 Merlin - Italeri1/72

Guest Phoinix

Re_exposure_of_DSC00107.sized.jpg

As far as i can tell, the rotor head is finished. A few more things to do, like cleaning styren around the edges i have to cut the pins to fit the holes and i have to install back the lead/lag dumpers. I tryed to make it as accurate as possible, but a few tenths of a mil can not be corrected. I simplyfied the lead/lag mounting, it won't be seen anyway.

WOW, You do it

the last difficulty will be to get the correct blade alignment at the end :D

I'm realy astonished from this work on the rotor head, looks pretty good ;) :blink:

Norbert

Guest Phoinix

Thank you, but let's wait till it's finished ;) Lots of things can go wrong.

The last difficulty will be to make the nuts 1mm across, 12 per yoke times 5 thats... wow :blink:

Edited by Phoinix

Awesome!! Way beyond what I could be bothered with.

I hope it all has the strength to hold together without drooping too much. Keep up the good work.

cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phoinix

So far, preshading done, all the little details are still visible. Now for painting some "new panels" that were installed on 580 during maintenance and are some what more blueish (nose, LH side tail panel, just under the tail drivs shaft, etc.)

HMA_1_Merlin_80.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_81.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_82.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_83.sized.jpg

Now for painting some "new panels" that were installed on 580 during maintenance and are some what more blueish (nose, LH side tail panel, just under the tail drivs shaft, etc.)

If I'm right about those panels to which you refer, they are more likely to be where new paint has been applied to the aircraft to remove any previous squadron code/markings. These panels are around the nose (either side under the cockpit side windows), just aft of the cargo door (right hand side and same place left hand side) and from the tail.

Unfortunately, if present rumours are correct, the RN Merlin fleet will in future only have squadron numbers on the nose cone. This is so that when the aircraft changes squadron, the nose cone can easily be removed and fitted to the new aicraft.

Guest Phoinix

I'm not sure we are on the same thing. Here is a pic of 580 during maintenance. Also many 58X have panels repainted around the RH round intake.

Well, anyway, here is the plan. Please, correct me if i'm wrong anywhere.

Merlin_wash_001.sized.jpg

Red - general colour difference (somewhere to blacken, other more blueish)

Blue - black "drain" markings

Yellow - brown "drain" markings

Edited by Phoinix

Sorry, i was thinking about just the repainted panels!!

I will hopefully expalin what each of the red ringed areas are:

UPPER PICTURE (left-right):

Upper fuselage - APU shield. An area of protective material used to help shield the fuselage from the heat of the APU exhaust.

Below the door - footstep in the stowed position. Included with the kit.

Yellow line - seems to be pointing to the common drain point for the tranmission deck. A small hole just visible at the upper end of the yellow line.

Blue lines (both photos) - the mounting points for the heavy stores carriers. One is mounted on the right hand side, missing from the left hand side.

Forward window - just the seal around the window.

Nose cone - probably repainted to remove a previous squadron identity.

LOWER PICTURE (left-right):

Below the code "580" - a missing flotation bag cover. When fitted it will be the same as the right hand side.

Airstair door - perhaps a repainted upper door?

Yellow areas - other drain points.

Red "L" shaped area (?) - this area does appear a slightly different colour of grey on some aircraft.

Red rectangle - not really sure why this area has been repainted. It's just below a hand hold and from experience somewhere that is usually scraped with boots when climbing up to or down from the transmission platform. Maybe that's why it has been repainted!!

Large red area - this like the APU shield, is another area of protective material used to shield the rear fuselage from the ECS outlet.

Hopefully these will be of help. Any more questions and I will do my best to answer them, I work on them day in, day out!!

Regards. :D

Guest Phoinix

Hvala Marko!

Thanks for those explanations. I have to make that protective cover for APU exhaust. Here are some more pics, i have made all but the apu cover.

Next step will be making the tiny white lines on the nose cone, overall future coat and decals.

HMA_1_Merlin_84.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_85.sized.jpg

I am a bit disapointed. The ducts i made on the side of the tail and just below the engine housing, painted them bright red, as they are, aren't that visible as i thought they would be.

Edited by Phoinix
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Phoinix

I made the tail structure APU heat shield and removed the first "eduard made" step FWD of crew door. I added a service step on both sides... yes, that it is there for... just under the engine intake, and the engine fire suppresion indicator. Also gave a little metalizer on the engine outlet cowling.

HMA_1_Merlin_89_001.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_90.sized.jpg

Had to modify the antena, 0,3mm too thick.

HMA_1_Merlin_88.sized.jpg

Edited by Phoinix
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Phoinix

With a little help from my colegues, i got the revell decals in place. Thank you again klyveb!

Here is the progress. When i first demasked the cockpit... disaster struck. Dust and small pieces of white plastic (from sanding) got on the inside of the cockpit. I took the front dog house assy off and the windscreen. Cleaned the inside, and but the whole thing back in. I also polished the canopy as i had problems with tamya tape leaving marks on the canopy. Here is the repainted canopy, some marks of detaching still remaining, but i'll fix that, no problem what so ever.

HMA_1_Merlin_96.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_97.sized.jpg

Guest Phoinix

Gosh, thank you guys. It aint all that great. Some more work needed on the cockpit side windows and canopy, as a resoult breaking stuff off of it. Some paint job corrections will do the trick i think.