P-51B "Heller Bust"

Is this one of the "Blue-nosed B------s of Bodney," aka 352nd F.G? If so, the P-51C "Princess Elizabeth," based at Duxford, has a blue nose, matched, exactly, to the blue found in the old toilet block, which is still standing at Bodney.

Edgar

The kit instructions say H.14 gloss French Blue,

Humbrol-14.jpg

but personally, I would never believe an Airfix instruction sheet paint recommendation (too closely tied to Humbrol), without independent verification. The instructions recommend H.11 silver for the rest of the airframe, for example, despite the fact that there are at least two closer colours to natural / painted aluminium in the Humbrol range.

Cheers,

Chris.

French Blue may be a farily good choice, but maybe a little light. Personally I got three bottles of blue paint and made my own batch just by eyeballing it. I now have an entire bottle of 352nd FG blue.

If you go this route, you may want to mix both flat and glossy colors. I say this because a lot of photos I have seen depict this color as a semi-gloss. Plus, it just looks good on a NMF Mustang. For my olive drab subjects (I've buit a 1/72 Hell-er Bust), I just flat coat the entire model.

Check out some of the posts that Greg (TF51GREGWISE) used for his birds. He is the lucky one that gets to work next to the restored bird in Kissimmee at Slallion51.

Thanks Again Greg!!! Awesome tour!

Well the aircraft is finished in R.A.F Dark green. Its the "B" version of Edwin Heller's aircraft. The decals are Eagle Strike Suggesting Lt. Blue for this aircraft. But I may just go with the french blue.

Any other suggestions are would be helpful, thanks for the help !

Well the aircraft is finished in R.A.F Dark green. Its the "B" version of Edwin Heller's aircraft. The decals are Eagle Strike Suggesting Lt. Blue for this aircraft. But I may just go with the french blue.

Any other suggestions are would be helpful, thanks for the help !

Lee,

I'd be real careful using RAF Dark Green on HELL-ER-BUST. H-E-B was an early P-51B-5-NA that was delivered in OD/NG, there's no reason to believe that it was repainted in RAF colors. I'm not sure where Eaglestrike/Aeromaster came up with that one. However, the recommended light blue matches what shows up in the available photos of H-E-B and other early 352nd FG Mustangs. I went with Model Master Bright Blue (I think!) when I built H-E-B.

Also, I believe Eaglestrike states that the scheme represents H-E-B during September of '44. In fact H-E-B was left in North Africa (in full invasion stripes) after the first 8th AAF shuttle mission to Russia sometime in June or July.

HTH,

Brent

Well on the decal sheet it says light blue, but what humbrol colour is that, because I'm not sure what colour it is at all.

Lee

There were three distinctly different shades of blue used by the 352 FG. The earliest (one that Hell-R-Bust would have worn) was the lightest. The middle time frame was fairly close to French blue, as shown in this thread. The last one was rather darker than French blue. If you flip through the 352 gallery on Little Friends, you will see three distinct tonal shades, with the lightest on the earliest planes and the darkest on the latest. http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=352

Edited by Michael Vorrasi