Cockpits Schmockpits

Please let me know if anyone agrees with me:

After building models for the last 34 years, I believe I've had it with trying to perfect my cockpits. I've graduated through glues, cements, paints, putties, airbrushes, weathering, paint chipping.... and I'm happy now with my planes. I just can't master the cockpits.

I like photo-etch for exterior details, but I've driven myself mad with trying to detail the interior.

I also like open canopies, but for my peace of mind I gotta give up on the PE bending, shaping, and supergluing.

I just put my latest on the shelf (Tamiya A6M5c 1/48th) today and , using the three foot rule, I'm pleased. But I can't see anything inside except the ring-and-bead sight.

Actually I feel better just getting that off my chest. Thanks for putting up with me. Responses welcome.

Ken

(Many thanks to GVoakes for excellent info and advice on Zeros)

You are not alone; I've never been able to make a cockpit even begin to look natural, by using lumps of etched brass. I've gone back to the heresy of carving lumps of plastic, and stretching sprue, with straps made from fabric. Do you know, it can be fun, and it's cheap; if you don't like it, chuck it away, and have another go. If you want a new front panel, keep the kit's part, drill out the instruments, back them with white plasticard, paint them black, and draw in the details with a pin, then fill the hole with clear varnish. Get it wrong, just repaint and try again. As you get more proficient, you'll discover the fun of realising how ordinary items can be pressed into service. I use (painted) adhesive bandage for 1/48th seat belts, with carpet tape for 1/32nd or 1/24th.

Edgar

More and more I close up the canopies and than you really can't see much detail inside the 'pit.

I find 1/32 however to be big enough to really appreciate a good detialed cockpit.

I understand Ken. But I must disagree on the PE issue. I use The Eduard, color PE for my pits whenever I can. Yes some times they need a little paint dabbing/touch up, but I like the way they look and are a lot better than I can paint. IMHO.

Bill

In my opinion too many people try to stick too much detail and paintwork into their cockpits, the result looks like a mangled mess of

untidy paintwork and bits. I always think less is more, and its suprising how good a pit can look if you exercise a little restraint. You don't HAVE to paint every individual button, lever, dial and wire.

Keep it simple, its suprising how good a cockpit can look when you paint it a uniform colour and mist a lighter shade over the top to catch the raised detail. Don't try to paint everything - Just picking out small things really brings it to life.

just my 2p

John

I agree totally. Actually I haven't been in the hobby room for about a month until last night. I didn't feel like working on the current projects on the go so I pulled out the 1.48 Hasi Corsair I have in the stash, four hours later its ready for paint. All I did on the cockpit was paint it chromate with flat black isnt panel etc. Gave it a quick wash, drybrushed the dials silver, picked a few out with white and red paint, used the kit inst panel decal and added some Edward seat belts. Less than 1/2 hours work and a very convincing cockpit that you can't see most of anyway. I find these quick builds more fun than the long drawn out ones and they seem to turn out pretty good most times.

Agreed. Here’s another angle. I’ve noticed that if you show an a/c to a non-modeler, a super-detailed cockpit generates less interest than weathering, colorful nose-art, exhaust stains, etc. Your mileage may vary.

I find that putting in an after-market ejection seat works wonders for the look of a jet's cockpit - the rest can be simple "impressionism" with dry-brushed dials etc reasonably simply done.

Before someone says the obvious, I know that this is not the jet forum*, but the principle applies: something (in a jet the bang-seat) focusses the attention, the impression of the rest is enhanced.

*Anyway, Tucano, Wyvern, and Dornier 335 are but three prop-driven aircraft with ejection seats!

Edited by MikeC
I find that putting in an after-market ejection seat works wonders for the look of a jet's cockpit - the rest can be simple "impressionism" with dry-brushed dials etc reasonably simply done.

Before someone says the obvious, I know that this is not the jet forum, but the principle applies: something (in a jet the bang-seat) focusses the attention, the impression of the rest is enhanced.

I have the same thoughts Mike, for props adding seat belts makes all the difference and pretty much all you see. Little touches like having one belt tossed over the cockpit side etc work well also.

I have the same thoughts Mike, for props adding seat belts makes all the difference and pretty much all you see. Little touches like having one belt tossed over the cockpit side etc work well also.

I agree - in most of my kits the only thing I really bother about is the seat. The rest of the cockpit gets a wash and a few details picked out. I've lost count of the times I've spent ages getting the instrument panel looking just right, then when it's all built you can't see the damn thing...

Vince

Hey guys, why do you build your models? Because you want to look on nice piece of aircraft, or because you enjoy the building itself? If you just want nice airplane, you can buy one already assembled. I love to play with interrieur, with resin detail sets, with PE. I know that it is almost invisible at the end, but what´s the matter? I know it is inside, so I´m happy! Another thing is to make it look realistic. Anyhow, it´s art (very special one, I belive, but stil art), so let everyone do it as he wants. rd

Edited by rdickson