F-35 is aparently getting a name soon.

What were some of the suggestions put forth?

Avenger II

Wildcat II

Bearca II

Hellcat II

(can you tell we're a bunch of Grumman hangers-on?)

Helldiver II (yes, we realize full well we wouldn't be any diving)

The crux of the argument was why give it such a horrible name when there was such a long line of PROUD, GOOD names in naval aviation history?? And with Phantom II and Corsair II there was precedent.

Of course, come to find out the politicia - er, admirals, had already made up their mind.

So now we call it the Shocker - obscenity out of sheer spite. The five sided feces pile can call it Growler to their hearts content, just like they call the Viper the Fighting Falcon.

Edited by Karl Sander

Not Spitfire, please!

RAAF are getting 100+ of these planes, so hopefully a name is found that is suitable, but not Spitfire!

:banana:

MikeJ

I like the name Doug. Doug is a good name.

If I had a dog he would be Doug the dog.

F-35 Doug.

My oldest son's name is Doug, he would be honoured....

As the RAAF is getting 100+, then how about Wedgetail...no that is being used...ahhh...Magpie or Dugite (nasty snake)?

:banana:

MikeJ

Skippy...Skippy the Wonder plane..as in "I wonder if they are going to actually get the ones they want?"

See, all this debate is why the X-32 should have won the JSF contract. The name "Monica" had already been applied to it... :banana:

Alvis 3.1

How about the F-35 Insert Name Here. Think about it. Whatever name you like, you can have it. If it's the F-35 Owl, you get that. If it's the F-35 Crap Flinger, than you are good to go. No fighting over stupid names. Oh and no more worrying if it's PC or not. Maybe it is real late, but I think they should go with my idea.

Paul

I really do not care for any of those names supposedly short listed.

Alternatives:

F-35 Gladiator

F-35 Cobra

F-35 Jaguar

F-35 Zephyr

F-35 Warrior

F-35 Cyclone

F-35 Raven

F-35 Shark

F-35 Stallion

F-35 Archer

:P

More names:

F-35 Mako

F-35 Thunder

F-35 Vengeance

F-35 Valiant

F-35 Guardian

F-35 Havoc

F-35 Kestral

F-35 Razor

F-35 Mantis

F-35 Peregrine

F-35 Phasar

F-35 Python

F-35 Rage

F-35 Revolver

F-35 Shadow

F-35 Sniper

F-35 Tarantula

F-35 Trident

F-35 Vanquish

F-35 Warlock

F-35 Eraser

F-35 Storm

F-35 Ares ( Air-eez ) Greek God of War

F-35 Striker

F-35 Whistler

:cheers:

I like the Skippy suggestion - especially for the recon variants.

'What's that y'say Skippy - a build up of enemy armour near the waterhole?

And a childs fallen down the well?'

Or am I getting confused with Lassie?

Hey that's it - the F-35 Wonderdog!

Really, I do like the name "Wraith" for it, it sort of picks up on Ol Man McDonnell's liking of occult and para-normal names for his fighters back in the 40's-60's ... Phantom, Banshee, Voodoo, Goblin, etc ... And as pointed out, it fits a stealthy type aircraft to boot ...

Gregg

F-35 Dire Wolf

F-35 Warhawk

F-35 Daishi

F-35 Loki

just a few of my favourite omnimechs...

F-35 Fafnir

F-35 Stinger

F-35 Maruader II

F-35 sparrowhawk

A few more Battlemech names and an Aerospace fighter.

A bunch of 3rd graders would come up with better sugestions than those

I agree with you. And one name that's sorta flown under the radar in this thread WILL be the F-35 name. Mark my words, it will be the "F-35 Piasa." Think about it. Everyone thinks the other names suck, but have kinda forgotten about this one. It's native-American in origin, so the PC crowd will love it, and it doesn't have any existing trademark or copyright infringements ( no one's heard the word since it

"was described in a diary kept by Father Jacques Marquette in 1673,") It's the perfect choice for the USAF/USN/USMC/RN airplane of the future! Non-offensive, no conflicts that a lawyer could find, Politically correct with the Native American angle, doesn't sound overly aggressive, and it's the name of a myth... :D

I remember someone brought up the "F-35 Endangered Spotted Owl" a few months ago, and people laughed.

Boy, talk about lame. No imagination at all. Lightning II was already shot down for the Raptor, so why try again? And Spitfire II is just distateful.

The Owl is even better than anything named above. It's a stealthy hunter after all.

At least Lightning II is better than Growler! :D I like Lightning II, because with all due respect to our British Allies the Spitfire was a British built fighter. That'd be like the Brits naming their version- Thunderbolt III.

I was surprised to see Black Mamba on the list. That was my suggestion on these Boards way back before the JSF even flew.

If they do name it Lightning II the roll-out jet should be painted like Bong's plane. What do you think?

BTW- Who in the name of Marco Bless'd Polo is this MAOI guy anyway?

Chappie