F-35 is aparently getting a name soon.

Really. I'm in the "not if its already been used for an aircraft name" camp. Be original or go home.

I used to be, until confronted with DoD's senior leadership's inability to come up with anything resembing an intelligent thought. Evidently too busy kissing each other's backsides, so they're hypoxic with all the resultant effects on cognitive ability.

The earlier post regarding third graders is an insult to elementary school students the world over.

Or just follow current free market ideals and let the private sector bid for the naming rights. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Geiko/ONstar F-35.

It worked for NASCAR. I can see it now, the pilot's flight suit and jacket covered with advertiser's slogans. They can grow cheesy mustaches, wear stupid sunglasses and cowboy hats to the jet. The low vis advertising on the planes themselves. I think we're onto something here.

Regards,

Murph

F-35 FLAX

Anyone who has hit certain ages knows that FLAX is and what it does!

This would also assist the upper brass clear their brains...

The idea for Calling it Chuck Norris could also include painting Chuck's face on the plane..No missile would dare then..Hey what a decal idea...Anyone listening?

Edited by Av8fan
Jeez, trust us (Denmark) to come up with something nobody's hardly ever heard about :wacko: Sorry about that. Might as well have proposed 'Holger'.

:crying:

There you Danes go again, stirring up trouble. Might as well call it the F-35 Hans Island Defender. :P

Cheers,

Sean

Disruptive Camouflage Scheme to be used on the F-35A

F-35_TexasRanger.jpg

Trigger, e-mail that to the DOD. Kidding aside, they're building the plane in Ft. Worth, right? They just might put a "texas ranger" on one of the first airplanes for demo purposes!

Trigger, e-mail that to the DOD. Kidding aside, they're building the plane in Ft. Worth, right? They just might put a "texas ranger" on one of the first airplanes for demo purposes!

I just e-mailed it to someone I know at Lock-Mart who would know who to send it to and I found an e-mail address for the F-35 program that I'm going to send it to.

Edited by Trigger74

Who cares what they call it officially. The troops usually find a tag they like and that's the one that will stick. Sort of the whole Thunderbolt II/Warthog Fighting Falcon/Viper thing.

Rick L.

So now we call it the Shocker - obscenity out of sheer spite.

:wave::rofl:

Oh man. "Shocker." Where's the chain? 'cause that was off it. :D

Mako might not be such a good idea given the fate of other modern aircraft named after sharks, especially after the trouble the F-35 has gone through. I like the bird names, particularly the Peregrine and Kestrel. The F-35 is meant to be the successor to the F-16 and Harrier, so either of those would suit it very well.

Even though the finalists all pretty much suck, I like Cyclone. Reaper might have been promising if it didn't beg to be ridiculed because of a particular song title (cowbell notwithstanding). Scorpion would be cool too, but isn't there already an AFV with that name? And I doubt they'll call it the Piasa, simply because of the Army's convention for naming helicopters.

Considering how weak the other candidates are, I'm willing to bet that they'll go with lightning or spitfire. And that just leaves us to hope that its nickname turns out to be something that really is cool. <_<

<<QUOTE(Chappie @ May 31 2006, 02:32 AM)

BTW- Who in the name of Marco Bless'd Polo is this MAOI guy anyway?

MOAI VINCENT IS THE SON OF MOAI JEROME AND MOAI ETHEL.

THEY ARE A CADET BRANCH OF THE BACK BAY MOAIS.

MOAI VINCENT HAS SPOKEN. >>

I can't believe that the MOAI expanded and followed us to this thread...

this forum is cursed.

If that continue, we might have to send the Octopus Decoy army.

Edited by Stratospheremodels

<_< If Australia DOES buy this aircraft and it turns out to be as stealthy as the promotional blurb makes it out to be perhaps we could call ours the F-35 Kadaitja, quiet, stealthy,deadly.

Cheers,

Ross.

Or Brian

Or "Thigfreid the Thumerian Thtranglwer"?

F-35 Peregrine sounds pretty good...any other birds-of-prey with cool names that don't have planes named after them?