Remakes that will (perhaps) happen

We've had the return of Doctor Who (hoorah), the "reimagined" BSG (hooooooorah!), King Kong duking it out in New York again, so what's next to be given the millenial makeover? Here are some contenders that might, possibly, get the "new look" treatment...

Blake's Seven - well, they revived the good Doctor so why so Blake and his merry crew? The show actually had some solid writing its dark, oppressive atmosphere is perfect for the current vogue of imperfect futures (BSG, Firefly etc...). What let the show down was the technology of the time and the meagre budget. The Liberator was always one of the most iconic spaceships outside of the USS Enterprise, and having that bought into life again via some decent CGi would be great.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Bikibikibik. What's up Buck? Ok, Glen A Larson's discotastic version aside, (and Erin Gray's fantastic li gloss), here's a show that could be redone in the BSG vogue. Buck Rogers is bought back to life and realises that future sucks, has trouble readjusting to his new life, becomes a burnt out bum, throttles annoying robot sidekick - ok, forget the robot, but BR25C has the potential to be bought back as thought provoking, adult-orientated drama.

Something with a giant monster in it: Jackson's Kong has whetted the appetite again for monsters on the loose and who is Hollywood not to want to cash in? Alas, the most obvious one - Godzilla - was done not long back, and done badly, which is a shame because having the military square off against a city levelling monster (you know, all the stuff they forgot to put in the 1998 version) done by ILM would be simply awesome. Gorgo? Nah, too obscure. Mothra? I think trying to sell a giant moth movie would tax even the best marketing men. Rodan? Ah now we're talking. Imagine if they made the poster for "Reign of Fire" into a movie (unlike what "Reign of Fire" did), cities ablaze, helicopter gun-ships, giant flying monster thing spewing flame. Yeah. I think a remade Rodan would rock big time.

Just so long as they don't try remaking "Forbidden Planet" - some things are prefect as they are...

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Bikibikibik. What's up Buck? Ok, Glen A Larson's discotastic version aside, (and Erin Gray's fantastic li gloss), here's a show that could be redone in the BSG vogue. Buck Rogers is bought back to life and realises that future sucks, has trouble readjusting to his new life, becomes a burnt out bum, throttles annoying robot sidekick - ok, forget the robot, but BR25C has the potential to be bought back as thought provoking, adult-orientated drama.

Ah, fond memories of the late 1970's, me as a callow youth, drooling over Wilma Deering (Erin Grey) & also Princess Ardala (sp?). Did anyone else ever wonder about the curious shape of Tweeky's head? No? Just me then!

tweeky.gif

Edited by Graham T
...nothing is sacred any longer!

Too true. Fox was seriously considering remaking "Predator" and even tried to get the original's director to make it. This is the same studio that turned down a James Cameron directed/Ridley Scott scripted "Alien 5" in favor of AVP.

Too true. Fox was seriously considering remaking "Predator" and even tried to get the original's director to make it. This is the same studio that turned down a James Cameron directed/Ridley Scott scripted "Alien 5" in favor of AVP.

UGH!!! New headline: "Is Hollywood Finished? The Well Runs Dry...."

Don't forget they did The Time Machine and Lost in Space not that long ago. Perhaps a new Time Tunnel, Seaview or Space 1999, which probably would need a title change since the Moon was still there last time i checked. :)

Jari

I'd love to see a Macross live-action mini-series similar in tone to the new Battlestar Galactica. Maybe they could make Minimeia a sex bomb (like 6 in BSG)!

If they can do the effects of the Transformers right, this will ready to launch also.

I'd love to see a Macross live-action mini-series similar in tone to the new Battlestar Galactica. Maybe they could make Minimeia a sex bomb (like 6 in BSG)!

If they can do the effects of the Transformers right, this will ready to launch also.

That did occur to me, and I think it would do well if done right. On the other hand, I'm a heretic in loving the New Generation with the Alphas and Betas against the Invid...seeing as I know I'm in the minority on that spot, my dream shall have to remain aloof...unless they do it serial-style aka new BSG! :cheers:

Here's a film that needs re-made:

Destination Moon.

If they can find writers & a director who can do justice to Robert Heinlein's stuff. {Starship Troopers-GAG!!!!}

On the other hand - here's a film that needs Made, not re-made:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Again, just so long as they don't ruin it.

Starship Troopers was an Abomination, Admiral Bob was probably rolling in his grave......OTOH, Puppet Masters turned out pretty well, I thought.

If anyone {Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Ron Howard?} can do Moon is a Harsh Mistress as well as Puppet Masters was done, I for one would be positively Giddy.

-Kevin in Indy

Edited by Karaya-1

I'd like to see someone film a remake of Star wars Episode 1, 2 and 3 with a good director, a good script, less CGI, and above all no silly love story and gunganstuff at all...

Edited by Grizzly

Live action VF-0s and VF-1s? :D YES!!!!!!!!

I believe a remake of Logan's Run is in production ...

Clicky Clicky

Gregg

Logan's Run is in limbo at the moment. Bryan Singer was going to do it in-between Superman Returns and... Superman Returns..Again(?) whatever the sequel will be called but he may pull a Sam Raimi and start on pre-production on the sequel soon after opening weekend.

Edited by Trigger74
I'd like to see someone film a remake of Star wars Episode 1, 2 and 3 with a good director, a good script, less CGI, and above all no silly love story and gunganstuff at all...

PREACH ON, BROTHER!

It's got to be a sign of cultural stagnation when everything out there is either a remake or a sequel. Granted that cultures have always found new ways to tell the old myths... but it's not like we're talking Homer or Virgil, here. "Starsky and Hutch" did not require a movie version thirty years later. (I'm not sure it required a TV version in the first place, come to think of it.)

Still, if we're going to talk remakes, I put in a vote for "Battle of Britain". Go for authenticity along the lines of "Band of Brothers" and jazz up the battles and bombing with CGI. (Ever notice that when the RAF airfield -- actually Duxford -- gets bombed, the only actual explosions are on the grass?)

(Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great to see a "Band of Brothers" -style series about the air or naval side of the war? I've got "Band of Brothers" on the brain since I bought the DVD set this month...)

The Blakes 7 revival is apparently dead for now. Paul Darrow and the producer working with him had a falling out. But, with the success of Doctor Who and the planned Torchwood spinoff, we may yet see the crew of the Liberator/Scorpio fly again sooner then we think. It just needs to get the approval of Terry Nation's widow to make it kosher in my book.

I thought Episodes 1-3 were pretty damn good myself. Not perfect, but nothing is. I actually like Episode 1 a lot better now than I did years ago.

Besides, Lucas will continue to tweak them forever!

Don't forget "The Prisoner"

"What do you want?!?"

"Answers!"

I can see that redone almost in a Lost-style dark, brooding, always revealing only the barest minimum to keep people watching.

I thought Episodes 1-3 were pretty damn good myself. Not perfect, but nothing is. I actually like Episode 1 a lot better now than I did years ago.

Besides, Lucas will continue to tweak them forever!

I was kidding a bit since I somehow like ep 2 and 3... but ligth years less than the Original Trilogy