Remakes that will (perhaps) happen

I'd love (wish) for another big budget stab at "Godzilla" but this time with all the basic elements in place - a monster that looks like Godzilla, confrontations between monster and military that invariably ends in blue radioactive fire and plenty of urban redevelopment.

Any pregnant, cowardly, irradiated iguanas need not apply.

i'd love to see a decent film of both the time machine and war of the worlds. the last remake of the time machine was crap, and dont get me started on war of the worlds. spielberg what were you thinking

i'd love to see a decent film of both the time machine and war of the worlds. the last remake of the time machine was crap, and dont get me started on war of the worlds. spielberg what were you thinking

They are doing a Jeff Wayne's version (set as per HG Wells Original in 1889). Hopefully for release next year.

:lol:

MikeJ

That's one of the few films where I almost wanted to ask for my DVD rental back.

"Hey, the storm has knocked out all electrical devices and anything with a battery, except for this camcorder where we see people being evaporated, and the one working car Tom Cruise makes his escape in..."

ILM's effects were excellent, I just wish they'd been in a better film.

SPACE 1999!!!!! :thumbsup:

me

Yeah!

Well actually what they could do is a follow up to season 1 and completely erase the Fred Friesandaburger season 2 from the canon. Go back the season 1 style of dark, pessimistic stories, only now set 17 years on from the "breakaway" (Space 2006?). Show us what happened to the Alphans, a generation growing up on drifting moon, see if Eagle 1 was still us.

Almost everyone connected with "1999" from Gerry Anderson to Martin Landau hated season 2 - the only person who seemed to liked it was old Fred himself.

Which reminds me, I saw season 1 DVDs for £25 the other day. Hmmm!

They are doing a Jeff Wayne's version (set as per HG Wells Original in 1889). Hopefully for release next year.

B)

MikeJ

Also an (apparently) straight-to-video WAR OF THE WORLDS produced by Asylum Films and directed by David Latt, starring C. Thomas Howell. Word on the street was that it was better and truer than Spielberg's.

Well, it may be truer than the big-budget version, but I'm not sure if I could call it better. Howell was OK, but most supporting characters were poorly done (Jake Bussy's performance as the over-the-top soldier was nearly vomit-inducing), and the film was very much dialog based instead of action. Maybe not the best approach for a movie of this genre, but workable only if the dialog is entertaining and well portrayed . . . and neither were apprarent. Also, the quality of the special effects (No doubt due to budget) were akin to those popping up on sci-fi/fantasy TV programs (Sliders, Sinbad, Hercules, etc) about 10-15 years ago.

All things considered about Spielberg's movie, I think he missed the chance at one of the all-time great cinematic moments in sci-fi . . . imagine the scene Spielberg, with his nearly limitless budget, could have done with the "Battle of the ridge" part. I was fully expecting the POV to go to the top of the ridge and show a valley, filled with the (Eventually hopeless) battle between the martians and humans. War machines as far as the eye could see; the tanks, soldiers, and planes expending themselves fruitlessly against the invaders; explosions/flame/destruction galore; the relentless march of the martians forward. As Gowron once said, "It would have been glorious."

I wonder how the HALO inspired film is comimg along. As a gamer as well as a modeler it could make for some great cinema. Or Hollywood could get involved and it could be crap.

After Playing Republic Commando and reading a Clone Wars novel or 2 I think some good story lines could be found there. It would sure mean a lot of work for the actor who played Jango Fett.

The books of David Weber offer countless great stories, The Honor Harrington series would be a great start. :banana:

How did you folks like the remake of the "Thing" with Kurt Russell much closer to the short story. Great effects.

The stories are out there some one has to make them into movies. Imagination and creativity still abound its the adversity to risk that is the problem.

Anime seems much more creative right now and some actually makes it on to cable TV. Starblazers might make a good movie. :cheers:

TC

Edited by Tankcommander
The books of David Weber offer countless great stories, The Honor Harrington series would be a great start. :banana:

Oh yes, that would be a great movie series!

I am still waiting for a Battletech or Warhammer 40K movie to surface :)

:cheers:

MikeJ

Tend to agree, with all that money over in Hollywood, you think they could come up with some new, original and interesting ideas instead of reaching for the "remake manual".

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Well, it's like Red Green said in one of his episodes where they tried to make a movie...something like "You don't have to be a Hollywood bigwig with millions of dollars to make a crappy movie; I can do it myself right here for next to nothing!!!"

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
How did you folks like the remake of the "Thing" with Kurt Russell much closer to the short story. Great effects.

I prefer the original simply because it relies on tension and suspense, rather than the remake which hosed the audience with blood and gore. The original did appear at a time of great paranoia and all kinds of allegories can be read into it.. That said, JC's version is still streets ahead of the current level remakes, he does imbue the film with a dark humour and some truly nightmarish images (need I say "the head"?).

I guess they are both different sides of the same coin, geared up for different generations.

But then I liked the remake of "Solaris"!

I wonder how the HALO inspired film is comimg along. As a gamer as well as a modeler it could make for some great cinema. Or Hollywood could get involved and it could be crap.

Hiya

well from ppl ive talked to weta's been busy workgin on it down here, jacksons only executive producer (basicaly just using facilities here), expect hollywood script, with Weta style GFX :lol:

now for the funny part: Microsoft's Halo movie will be produced in Wellington by servers running the open-source Linux operating system!! :D :lol:

Edited by Raymond
The last episode of Quantum Leap!

Well I hear Cpt. Archer's schedule has opened up recently so you never know...........though I think it would be better now if we never learn what happened, we'd probably only be disappointed!

Talking of cancelled shows..........no second series of Invasion! :banana: