Remakes that will (perhaps) happen

Speaking of movies inspired by games, how about a MechWarrior movie?

The games themselves often come with some nice splash animation, for that matter.

BJ

They tried that. It was called Robot Jox. It sucked a lot. That one straight-to-video movie may have destroyed any chances of a MechWarrior film...it was that bad.

They tried that. It was called Robot Jox. It sucked a lot. That one straight-to-video movie may have destroyed any chances of a MechWarrior film...it was that bad.

:bandhead2:

that does sound bad!! i must see it!!! :bandhead2:

Speaking of movies inspired by games, how about a MechWarrior movie?

The games themselves often come with some nice splash animation, for that matter.

BJ

Yes, a Battletech movie would be good. Perhaps 4th Sucession War.

i'd love to see a decent film of both the time machine and war of the worlds. the last remake of the time machine was crap, and dont get me started on war of the worlds. spielberg what were you thinking

Apparently he was thinking "how fast can I make this?"

What a waste ofa truly great piece of literature. I took my 12 year old son to see it theatrically, then showed him the 1953 version. Other than him giggling at Slyvia's over the top screaming fits, he VASTLY preferred the 1953 version. Who says there's no hope for the next generation? :D

Alvis 3.1

That's true...although...for some reason, Tron's early effects were part of the appeal...it seemed to BELONG for some reason, part of the storyline as being in a total computer universe. It didn't quite NEED the realism that the Last Starfighter would have preferred.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I agree with you about both now thinking about it Andrew, TRON does have that whole early 80s video arcade nostalgia feel to it that might get lost in a remake ... I really like both movies as is with maybe The Last Starfighter getting updated SFX ... Ya know, give the Starfighter some "pre-shading" etc ...

Gregg

That movie had nothing to do with Battletech or it's stunted successor MW:DA. Not even a slight similarity to Solaris VII arena combat.

Genetic breeding was closest to the Clans perhaps but the whole movie, no.

:touche:

MikeJ

That movie had nothing to do with Battletech or it's stunted successor MW:DA. Not even a slight similarity to Solaris VII arena combat.

Genetic breeding was closest to the Clans perhaps but the whole movie, no.

:banana:

MikeJ

I didn't mean to imply that it was a Battletech movie - it just borrowed a lot of elements with none of the backstory. I doubt that they would've taken a chance on making it a tie-in - better odds of making money if they keep it generic. Now, is it based on Battletech? Yeah, probably, along with Robotech and a dozen other anime "Mecha" series.

Think like a sleazy, low budget movie producer for a minute. Allow me to supply dialogue: "Hey, this Battletech stuff would make a great movie, but we'd have to pay money to use that name and their back-story. OK, Bob - keep the giant killer robots, and we'll write our own backstory! It'll be great! And we need a couple of recognizable actors...how about that guy from the "Alien Nation" series on FOX? No, the dude that doesn't wear the bald cap! What? Special effects? Models? Whaddaya think I'm George Lucas or somethin'? We'll build the robots as suits and put stuntmen in 'em! It'll look fine..."

Now imagine you're a producer of quality Hollywood dreck and someone comes to you with a great script for a MechWarrior movie. What's your first thought? "Giant robot combat - that sounds pretty cool...hey, didn't they release something like that called RobotJox a few years ago? Man, that sucked...hmmm...this might be mistaken for that kind of movie...maybe I'll pass on this one and see what comes down the pike next..."

...which is the point I was trying to make.

Heaven forbid.

As a die hard Classic Battletech fan, if they do a movie let's hope that it will be purely classic not MW:Dork Age...

Classic is making a huge comeback and Dork Age sales are dropping off.

I actually have Robot Jox on a very old ex rental video :wacko:

:cheers:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
  • 1 month later...
Oh that was a classic

I actually have the original game FASA put out before being sured by Lucasfilsm

Remember BattleDroids???

William G

I certainly do!

I have Version 1 of battletech lurking somewhere :banana:

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

I'd like to see a quality remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'. Still one of the most intelligent films made about first contact. Just a dream though. :)

You know what that remake would turn into, don't you? Massive explosions, CGI F-22's and AH-64's everywhere, and Tom Cruise saving the day...

All quality and intelligence would be sucked out through the movie's celluloid sphincter in order to "update" it. It's best to leave some classics the way they were meant to be.

I agree that there are many fine Sci-fi films out there that worked with their limitations and are wonderful still. The HG Well's stories:"The Shape of Things to Come", "The Man Who Could Do Anything", "The Invisble Man","The Time Machine", "War of The Worlds". It looks like re-makes rarely better the first attempt.

I must admit "Starship Troopers" with the original jump suits would have been an improvement though.

There are still many other stories worth filming. I always thought "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" would make a fine film. "The Stainless Steel Rat" and "Bil The Galactic Hero" beg to be made as series. There are lot of Sci-Fi short stories that could work in a "Outer Limits" type format for TV.

What about Heinline's story "Sixth Column?" You wouldn't need that much in special effects outside of the battle scenes and a couple scenes in the Citidel.

For a Battletech movie keep it straight innersphere and maybe have Stravenski from Babalon 5 do it.

If it is done properly, everyone can enjoy it.

And to quote Shakespeare, "Aye, there's the rub..." How often is a remake done properly? One out of 20? What are the chances the studios would take a classic and sink the budget necessary for good effects and top-shelf actors into it, and not insist on mucking around with what made it a classic? They'd take Forbidden Planet and turn it into something like Ghosts of Mars.

My $.02, I'd like to see a decent, live action version of Jonny Quest (spelling?) It was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and I still get a kick out of it when I catch an episode. Think of what could be done with some CGI (I can picture the whole title sequence done as such, cool!), some killer music (I'm thinking the old themes to be redone by Brian Setzer), and gotta have Dr. Zin as the villian, political incorrectness and all. Maybe to be played by George Takei? Any other cast ideas (no Ben Affleck or Matt Damon!)?

Felinoid

My $.02, I'd like to see a decent, live action version of Jonny Quest (spelling?) It was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and I still get a kick out of it when I catch an episode. Think of what could be done with some CGI (I can picture the whole title sequence done as such, cool!), some killer music (I'm thinking the old themes to be redone by Brian Setzer), and gotta have Dr. Zin as the villian, political incorrectness and all. Maybe to be played by George Takei? Any other cast ideas (no Ben Affleck or Matt Damon!)?

Felinoid

Now you're talkin'!

Some young kid like Haley Joel Osmet was a few years ago to play Johnny Quest, and they'd have to cast Race Bannon, Dr Quest and Hadji well. Then they could just write an espionage script around it...maybe James Cameron could direct...