After sitting for more than a month half finnished I decided to sit down and paint my Airfix Harrier FA.2 which will be a USMC FV-9. I call it my "Symphony in Grey" and follows MARPAT camo stylings to break up the outline.

Pic 1: The top side with all the masking removed...not a bad first attempt!

mar20061723fo.jpg

Pic 2: A close up :woot.gif:

mar20061747ks.jpg

Pic 3: The bottom

mar20061754az.jpg

Pic 4: With the nose cone on ( which is a different shade of grey)

mar20061773ue.jpg

So what do you guys think, is it close enough to the "Lego" scheme?? :

Is that a what-if based on a Marine F/A-18?

Yup :explode:

Well it served as a muse for the paint job. The Bug has what? 5 colours? Mine only has 3...

But if I have my way (and I will unless one of you flys over here and stops me!) I'd like to see a Gripen in a scheme like this...

I'm going to post the pics of the decaled model (first time I've gotten to the decalling stage in 2 years!!) as soon as my camera's battery is charged!

She now sports a little colour :banana:

Okay guys she's got decals on!!!! I hope you like it!! Its taken me two years to get back to the decalling stage on a project :angry:

Pic 1: As you can see I gave in 1 concession to my theme of "Symphony in Grey" and that that cool shark's mouth which I got from a Hasegawa weapons set (its meant for a gun pod)...

mar20062133nq.jpg

Pic 2: The topside as you can see she belongs to VMA-331 "Killer Bees!"

mar20062148qa.jpg

Pic 3: Front overhead...

mar20062173nz.jpg

Pic 4: Underside....

mar20062186dy.jpg

Pic 5: The top, if you notice even the pylons aren't all the same grey with the outer two being lighter than the inner two :D

mar20062201in.jpg

The next step will be a gloss coat and weathering followed by a dull coat! Hmm weathering....

Love it :cheers: Quick question being how you painted the inividual squares (I presume u masked them and airbrushed...)

I am going to try to do something similar on a 1/32 Hornet....theres one particular bird in the arsenal that has a 'digi-camou', and i'm going to try to replicate a fully loaded bird.

Cant wait to see it finished.

AnThOnY

Edited by AnthonyWan
Looks even better decalled! :

You may have mentioned it before but which decals are you using?

:cheers:

Thanx for the comments guys!! The decals come from the Monogram AV-8B and were a delight to use, the shark's mouth is from one of the Hasegawa weapon's sets (C I think).

Love it Quick question being how you painted the inividual squares (I presume u masked them and airbrushed...)

I am going to try to do something similar on a 1/32 Hornet....theres one particular bird in the arsenal that has a 'digi-camou', and i'm going to try to replicate a fully loaded bird.

Cant wait to see it finished.

I started with the base colour (the lightest of the 3) over the whole airframe, after that had dried (half a day) I laid down a lenght of Tamiya masking tape on my cutting board, a hard plastic one for the kitchen which I've nicked :thumbsup: , and using a metal straight edge and a sharp hobby knife I cut out various 'pixel' patterns which I laid down on the fuselage. Once I had enough 'pixels' for the lightest colour I sprayed the next one and repeated the process. Its long but fun :thumbsup: I can't wait to see your big Hornet in this scheme!!!

Great looking mate :)

Now, if I make a 1/72 Gripen, can I send it to you, get it painted, then get it back for finishing? :lol:

I'll send a beer with it as a token of my gratitude :banana:

:unsure:

Post away! But its a six pack for these skillz :P