'1/24 FA2 Sea Harrier Conversion'

Cheers Andy,

When is Telford? I'll have to see if I'm around and get transport sorted out but no promises yet...I've never been to a modelling show before!

I'll be posting up a step by step of my next side console just as soon as I get around to it. It'll include everything on how to turn the bland, low detail OOB offerings into a half decent replica of the real thing. It may take a week or two ( A-level Art and History are getting on top of me)

Mini update,

I've nearly finished off the forward side console (landing gear up/down selector buttons, gear indicator lights and manual fuel system switch) and two of the engine nozzle control levers but I have the flap position indicator to replicate and flap selection switch. Both are very small and should be sorted out with somewhat ease. Here is what has been done in my spare time since the last update...

img3318cd5.jpg

...And here is the finished throttle lever which just needs to be painted and put into position...

img3324pd1.jpg

Once this is done, I will be gluing in the new floor covering (with raised rivet detail) and starting to cover the right console with metal 'sheet' (I will be making a mini tutorial as I go along which should include everything)

I'll hopefully have another update within the next couple of days...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gents!

Okay, I've had yet another of them moments...the type where you keep looking and thinking, "is it really worth changing that? I'm going to spend 2 hours cutting something up and making, from scratch, something to go in its place that no-one will ever even see"....

In the end, like a true modeller, I decided it'd be better if it was done!

I'm talking about the cockpit area under the IP which is basically where the rudder pedals reside. Not a purticularly well photographed area but I decided to replicate it in as much detail as possible because I want to know it's there.

So my raised rivet floor has been put on hold aswell as the left side console and I figured I'd show you all though it...Here goes:

This is the area in mention:

fa2panel01je4.gif

I guess overlooking it would've jeopardized my whole project (I want to replicate every inch of this special aircraft and catch the 'feel' of it)

This is how I did it:

1ce0.jpg

I marked out the rough area of the panel with a scalpel before starting to cut away the excess, OOB plastic...

2ba5.jpg

Plastic fully removed...(you can also see my prototype flooring in some of these pictures...more on that later)

3dv3.jpg

Testing the new side for size and fit...(the side console goes beyond the Instrument Panel before it comes to an end by the rudder pedals)

4ff7.jpg

I like to use paper to make templates. Here I'm making a template out of the side panel that is going to be angled away slightly. I do this before I remove the plastic just to save time and make final measuring a little easier...

5bp2.jpg

Removing more material...

6lz3.jpg

Removed!

7rk0.jpg

Upper part of side panel trimmed into correct shape (Notice the angle)

8vx1.jpg

Complete template for the side panel I'm modelling. This will be used to cut the final peice for my foil...

9fw8.jpg

Fits perfectly!

10yn7.jpg

Foil cut out and inplace. It all had to be in one peice since from the pictures I have, there are no gaps anywhere in this section, indicating that the whole upper segment and side panel are in one large peice. Rivets added etc

11gn9.jpg

Painted. Whole cockpit will recieve a final coating gloss, subtle weathing and flat when it's more complete.

Cheers for reading guys! I like to use lots of photos in my threads but I try to make them as small as possible! I STRONGLY recommend anyone who doesn't already have broadband to get it! :D

I will now be finally getting on with the floor and right side console...more on that later!

All good/bad critiques or advice welcomed! Cheers!

Howdy that looks bloody smart mate,where!,how!,and how much is

1.the foil tape

2. the placards for the instruments and side consoles

3.the refference pic's for the complete layout to the FA.2 cockpit

i know its a lot to ask but im reaching this stage soon and your the man in the know,i will proberly be starting the front in the next few days,and i have my work cut out on that,cheers Jake for the help so far and it would be great to see your one finished in 2009 i look foward to it,they always say the long wait is worth it.

Cheers Clive

Edited by viper494

No probs!

Foil tape isn't foil tape, it's the metal you find around tealight candles. My mum has a draw full of them. No cost, they're basically free...

Placards for all the instruments and side panels are handmade using photoshop and a basic printer. Look back in the thread to see more information on this. Once again, free..

And my references are from cockpit shots found on the internet, and a CD FULL of FA2 shots from the leader of the Harrier SIG, Nick Greenall (Great guy) Sign up (it only costs a tenner) and I'm sure he'd send you a copy. I also got another CD from a fellow ARCer Richard E who was kind enough to send me a load of walkaround pictures on another CD.

Basically my advice is if you see a picture of an FA.2, save it. No matter how small or how many other pictures you have off the same spot, save it anyway. It WILL come in handy.

Edited by PapaSmurf630

Mini update!

Finished the throttle quadrant (Atlast) by painting and installing the throttle. Picture doesn't really do it justice as it came out much better than expected.

Aswell as that, I've started work on the floor of the tub, using coke cans for the foil (tea light candles foil isn't big enough) and it works just aswell but isn't quite as soft. Perfect for 're-flooring'. I've done half of the floor due to the right side console being considerably behind in the contruction department compared to the left. Until I finish of the right hand side console, I will not be able to do the rest of the floor.

img3391hm1.jpg

Next full update will be completed right side wall (hopefully!)

Cheers!

Jake (now 18!!)

Edited by PapaSmurf630

Small update...

Finished basic structure for right side wall. All main components are there, now time for paint and the instruments.

Here are the pictures:

img3393hn5.jpg

And from another angle to show of the rivets..

img3398on4.jpg

And here's a quick shot of the nearly completed left side wall (canopy seal and a few wires need to be added aswell as parts that will wrap around onto the rear bulkhead)

img3396kh3.jpg

Probably wont have much time to carry this on this week due to lots of Art projects that need finishing off for College...but will try to have this wall totally completed by next weekend, then onto the side console!

• 1 month later...

Hola gents..

Another update. Things are progressing slowly but surely. The right sidewall has gone together much slower than I previously thought. Lots of shapes, tubes, wires and dials are needed for this section and it took me a week just figuring out how I was going to build certain parts.

I've made a start with the forward group of dials. I've taken pictures of the build bit-by-bit to show any budding FA.2 builders a rough guide that they may wish to follow.

photo32fy0.jpg

This is the group of dials I'm going to replicate.

1jw8.jpg

I begin by sandwiching two peices of plasticard. I use a scalpel and a ruler to measure out and 'draw' the shape of the dial housing (I find knives/scalpels are infinately more accurate then the thinnest of pencils)

The top layer of plasticard is thinner than the one underneath.

2cs6.jpg

Two peices cut out. I don't own a Punch set yet but will be getting one soon.

3jx9.jpg

The thinnest section is then shaped.

4br3.jpg

Using stretched sprue cut to length, I 'plug' the holes on the thicker section. The dial faces are from the 1/24 scale Waldron Jet dials.

5og7.jpg

The dials are then stuck down on top using PVA. This gives me ample time to adjust the dial faces so they all show through the top, thinner peice nicely.

7yc9.jpg

The thinner section is stuck down thus finishing the basic component. Everything is then painted.

6re3.jpg

Side shot of the finished dials. There's quite a large gap inbetween the upper and lower parts of the dial housing due to the dials (they're quite thick) but this is reduced considerably by the fact that they wont be viewed from the side. Wires are then added using the photos as reference and painted using enamel white.

The middle portion of the wall should be finished soon, I'll keep you all posted.

Edited by PapaSmurf630

Thanks Timmy :D It's funny actually. Some of these cockpit components are like kits in themselves. Of course you know that more than I do!

Not looking forward to getting started on the Martin Baker seat however I cannot wait to get started on the Instrument panel! Progress should really get going then (famous last words)

Thanks Timmy :D It's funny actually. Some of these cockpit components are like kits in themselves. Of course you know that more than I do!

Not looking forward to getting started on the Martin Baker seat however I cannot wait to get started on the Instrument panel! Progress should really get going then (famous last words)

Just one "kit" at a time! Don't worry about the seat, you'll do fine. I found that often the thinking about a part was harder than just doing it. Sometimes I would think of an elaborate plan to build a part, but when i got to it I realized an easier way to build it. You're doing great!

Timmy!

• 1 month later...

Howdy chaps,

Back with from the bench with some pics and more mindless blabbering..

photo39kq8.jpg

This is what I've been trying to replicate. The picture doesn't show you further back sadly but I'm sure you get the idea. Ignore the large vent stretching across the wall. This will not be replicated as they're not on the Harrier I'm actually modelling.

28214074jl4.jpg

This tiny object is the black 'think' you can see on the wall to the right of the picture (half hidden by the seat) with the pipe coming out the left had side of it (this will be added later). Made out of stretched sprue and blocks of plasticard. I placed a ruler next to it for scale purposes.

31947828gt2.jpg

Horrible picture of the basic components of the right sidewall. Just like the left, I won't be able to add the small components until more of the pit is finished. Hopefully you can all see a rough resemblence of the real-life picture.

19687696pq4.jpg

Sidewall with the tub added. I had to extend the edges of the tub so they'd fill the gaps between the tub and the right side wall (this isn't needed on the left side) Managed a tight fit but it'll all get covered with foil anyway.

34629985nl3.jpg

Beginning of the foiling process. The area I wish to cover is first roughly covered in printer paper before being cut down to shape. The paper is then blu-tac'ed to some candle foil and then cut out. The shapes are not random. They are infact attempting to mimic the panels used in creating the cockpit space.

93078991la3.jpg

This is the wall as it is now. Note I've embossed(?) rivet detail and I've started foiling the other sections. The side section that isn't foiled will be covered in one huge peice while the upper un-foiled section will be plated in smaller panels for the individual flight systems installed there (see top picture)

Cheers for following this thread guys and please feel free to post any comments, critiques or suggestions. They are all welcome and really add fuel to my modelling fire.

Now I'm going to go have a break :cheers: and wait for my Waldron Hole Punch.

Edited by PapaSmurf630

Fantastic work Jake :wub:

Marvellous attention to detail Sir. This is already looking like the real deal so I can't wait to see the finished article.

I've just managed to buy some punches fron Historex and they make very short work of dials and plasticard. You'll get alot of use out of them I'm sure.

Stick at it and please post more progress soon.

:)

Thank you for the kind words dub and jan. It sure is going to be big! I have an old GR.3 kit that has been scrapped and that's huge.

Looking forward to getting my mits on the punch Gdub. Should be very useful for my IP and making the larger sized rivets and screws let alone the multitude of dials I'll be making soon.