2007 Thunderbird Team

Captain Samantha Weeks from the F-15C 12th Fighter Squadron out of Elmendorf was selected to join the Thunderbirds in the number six opposing solo position. She is the second female pilot to be selected to join the team as Maj. Nicole Malachowski, Thunderbird No. 3 joined the team as the first female pilot. So in back to back years the Thunderbirds have picked a female pilot.

It seems that the Thunderbirds will have quite a few female officers starting the 2007 season.

You gotta wonder if this ratio is an accurate representation of the Airforce. I hope they aren't adding females for the sake of having them on the team. I hope they are picking the person who is best for the job.

I hope they aren't adding females for the sake of having them on the team. I hope they are picking the person who is best for the job.

I am shocked and appalled you would even suggest that.

Regards,

Murph

Yeah, I dont think gender is thought about when they pick the team if you have the qualifications and pass the selection board. I dont think that making sure that a quota is filled would be a factor. How qualified and the experience level of the pilot is more than if they are male or female. Erick

I’ll be the one to bring it up… Are there no qualified African American or Latino pilots in the AF? I mean since we're talking quotas here & all. The Blue Angels have already sported two or three Afro-Am pilots, with one even being the commander (yes, I know he stepped down for medical reasons). Also, I noticed that the pilots in the Blues seem to have more overall flight time than their counterparts in the ‘Birds.

Chris Ish, wearing body armor & asbestos skivvies...

So let's say that 20% of the AF's pilot force is women. Are they basing the selection of another female pilot upon that 20% or the entire male/female pilot numbers? I just find that two females in less than 2 years speaks of PC-ness, rather than anything else.

I'm taking anything away from Capt Weeks, but the question does have to be asked.

Jeff

Thunderbird 12 is also female (the PR person). But I am not certain if she is a pilot.

That name rings a bell!

If it is the same person i spoke to during my visit to the 2002 "Airpower over Hampton Rds" airshow at Langley AFB she used to be with the 'Spads' 94FS.

If it is "Combo" then congratulations to her

Was, but the trip got CNX'd. Now I'm headed down to Holloman and dragging some GAF Tornados up your way. But we're not stopping and headed back to Kansas Saturday evening. Was trying to get us into your neck of the woods though. Who knows, these jets are old and we may need to divert.

Jeff

We've gotten close to meeting once. I signed my name near yours on the ARC t-shirt!

That name rings a bell!

If it is the same person i spoke to during my visit to the 2002 "Airpower over Hampton Rds" airshow at Langley AFB she used to be with the 'Spads' 94FS.

If it is "Combo" then congratulations to her

Yes, it's "Combo."

Regards,

Murph

I’ll be the one to bring it up… Are there no qualified African American or Latino pilots in the AF? I mean since we're talking quotas here & all. The Blue Angels have already sported two or three Afro-Am pilots, with one even being the commander (yes, I know he stepped down for medical reasons). Also, I noticed that the pilots in the Blues seem to have more overall flight time than their counterparts in the ‘Birds.

Chris Ish, wearing body armor & asbestos skivvies...

Ish,

One of the Thunderbirds killed in the T-38 Diamond crash in the Nevada desert was African American and there have been a few pilots of hispanic descent over the years. I believe it was stated in an interview earlier this year that there currently 71 female "Fighter" pilots in the Air Force.

The Thunderbird selection seems to start earlier than the Blues.... one unique aspect this year was that there was an additional pilot that needed to be replaced as a a previous team member came aboard to replace him.

Was, but the trip got CNX'd. Now I'm headed down to Holloman and dragging some GAF Tornados up your way. But we're not stopping and headed back to Kansas Saturday evening. Was trying to get us into your neck of the woods though. Who knows, these jets are old and we may need to divert.

Jeff

Jeff,

We just had three KC-10s land here. But you are a 135 guy aren't you?

deleted ... I had the wrong girl in mind! Pretty soon, the t-birds will be nothing but females ... I can hardly wait!! :)

Slight edit here -

Just to CMA ... I have nothing against female pilots in the military. As a classic example of a nuckle-dragging member of the male species, I am eagerly awaiting the USAFADS Swim Suit edition! :banana:

Edited by Phantom Phreak

I had to be walking by a mall video store with a large collection of anime DVDs.... after reading one of the posts about an all female Thunderbird team... theres a Japanese anime DVD that shows an ALL female Japanese Impulse team up against visiting USAF All female thunderbird pilots.....I chuckled thinking who would come up with that thought.....