1/48 WASP-CLASS DIORAMA... A compendium of updated shots

So, here is a compendium of shots that I've taken over the last few months of the diorama. I'm ready to get into the actual construction of the piece, taking plywood and building the skeleton to put under the plastic shell that you see here. Hope that you like it!

Steven St James

pdrm00194wo.jpg

pdrm00147tv.jpg

pdrm00212ak.jpg

pdrm00204zw.jpg

pdrm00135xe.jpg

pdrm00164rs.jpg

pdrm00195qc.jpg

pdrm00209tl.jpg

aavplhd5vw.jpg

aavplhd15kl.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Can you tell em where you get the 1/48 humvee? I cannot find it in any hobby store

Actually, I scratchbuilt the Hummer and also the AAVP and the deck vehicles....

"Actually, I scratchbuilt the Hummer and also the AAVP and the deck vehicles...."

But with what materials and scale? Do you have any picture about the process you scratch building, may you show us? Thanks

IN one of the shots.... There is a sheet of plastic with a series of drawings on it. The drawings are of a 1/48th scale early P-25 firefighting vehicle. The ruler underneath is a 48th scale ruler that show a conversion in feet to scale. What I did was to buy a 72nd scale ruler, I also bought a Dragon Hummer in 72nd scale, measured the 72nd scale Hummer, and used the 48th scale ruler to draw it (with a pencil) on a sheet of .30 plastic. I then cut the plastic parts and glued them together until I had what I was looking for

Wow, that is absolutely amazing!

You want to know what we think? Here's what I think:

You should make molds of the 1/48th LAV, the AAV, deck tractor and Humvee, cast them in resin, quit your day job and make a fortune!!! Or, you could lay out the plans and release them, so that lazy slobs like me would be that much closer to being able to make them... :crying:

Keep up the outstanding work!

Edited by Frank Steffens
Wow, that is absolutely amazing!

You want to know what we think? Here's what I think:

You should make molds of the 1/48th LAV, the AAV, deck tractor and Humvee, cast them in resin, quit your day job and make a fortune!!! Or, you could lay out the plans and release them, so that lazy slobs like me would be that much closer to being able to make them... :D

Keep up the outstanding work!

Thanks again

I actually haven't attempted to make complete scratchbuilt kits but i found out that it is lots easier to do than I thought. I'll probably deo more after I complete this project and they will be a lot more accurate. At that point, I'll probably find a way to make copies to sell, but with Tamiya now in the 48th scale market, they might be available anyhow.

Very good work! I'm not sure that I could do it.

Maybe you have those special qualities needed for a project like that: room, talent, and a need for self abuse. Once again, good job.

Very good work! I'm not sure that I could do it.

Maybe you have those special qualities needed for a project like that: room, talent, and a need for self abuse. Once again, good job.

Well...self abuse is in great supply when it comes to making kits here. I can't remember how many 'creative liberties" and "what if's" I've pumped outta my garage in the last decade of building. It is fun though... I might try this again for myself though I'd probably go with 72nd or even 144th scale (provided I don't have to make the kits myself this time! :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

By Friday,

I should have shots of a lot of the scratchbuilt deck vehicles. I've done a Mule, a couple of P25 firefighting vehicles (old and new) and some of the other types of heli-haulers that are utilized on carriers and Amphibs.

I might also take some of the advice I've gotten and produce some copies if I see enough interest in some sales.

Steven

I have few questions. First how do you plan to make the weels for your scratchbuid wehicles (especialy Humwee)

I'm doing some scratcbuilding myself and the wheels (tyres) are the most difficult part to reproduce.

Secondly, where did you get your information (plans, pics....) for the carrier wehicles?