F-4G with single piece windshield.

Was checking Jakub's Desert Storm site (www.dstorm.eu) and ran across this pic from Airliners.net:

http://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/f-4/us/69-7263_3.jpg

Now, I know it's a museum, but the only news I ever had of a single piece windshield installed in a Phantom was on Verlinden's F-4E Lock-On book. IIRC it mentions it was only a one of a kind test and says nothing about them being installed on any other airframes.

So, what is this G model doing with one of those? :thumbsup:

Was the single piece windshield installed on more aircraft other than the one shown in the Verlinden book? Did it ever see (limited?) widespread retrofit???

Hope somebody out there can throw some light here.

Sincerely,

Jorge

the one piece wind screen wasnt just a one-off mod, it was slated for introduction on reworked birds but the aircraft was retired for more modern types before it was done to alot of aircraft. I have a picture of a former ANG F-4E that we gave to Turkey that had the one piece wind screen installed.

Some F-4Es from the Missouri ANG based out of St Louis had the one-piece canopy. I guess it was convenient to have the McDonnell Douglas Factory nearby. I seem to remember that a RF-4Cs were fitted with a one-piece canopy, but my memory could be failing me on this one. Phantomphiles on the board will certainly come up with more details.

I *think* about 12 got them, mostly the St Louis guard unit. Its possible a G could have got one as a replacement unit after a bird strike or something.

When I saw this post, I knew it had to be about the one the in the USAF Museum.

I was up there a couple of years ago, and my friend who was with me noticed it and pointed it out.

The info plate doesn't mention the canopy, the only F-4's I thought had the single piece canopy were the F-4E's from the MI ANG like John B. mentioned.

To the best of my knowledge, the total number was no more than 5, and they were all F-4E's.

In a "small world moment", I have a similar picture hanging on the wall in my office:

f-4pic-43.JPG

Ken

Going through all my records, I have the following list for single-piece windscreen F-4's:

RF-4C:

65-0874, Per former NE ANG Crew Chief, PhanCon 91 Image

65-0935, Per former NE ANG Crew Chief

65-0942, Smoke Trails, Vol 9, No 3, Pg 24, CA ANG

68-0874, 124th TRG and 155th TRG (per Gary Chamber)

F-4E:

68-0516, Smoke Trails Vol 8, No 4, pg 23

69-0345, Smoke Trails Vol 6, No 1, pg 22, MO ANG

68-0351, Smoke Trails Vol 6, No 1, pg 23; also, the Colors & Markings book

68-0448, The Phantom Story (Thornborough), pg 159 (no photo)

68-0473, The Phantom Story (Thornborough), pg 151 (Turkish AF, former MO ANG)

F-4G:

69-0265, SMoke Trails Vol 10, No 2, pg 21, 57th FW

69-7263, Wild Weasals (Thornborough/Mormillo), pg 115, Wild Weasals (Davis, Squadron Signal), pg 70

69-0298, (Rick Chin/Leading Edge Decals/ID ANG), 561st TFS in Desert Storm, 1991, transferred to the 190th FS/124th FG, last active USAF F-4 to fly-off to AMARC, 1996

69-0273, (Rick Chin/Leading Edge Decals/ID ANG), International AIr Power Review #12, pg 85

Long time ago (1980's?), Maintrack Models made a resin(?) canopy for the single piece windscreen in 1/48th.

HTH.

Mike

Some of my buddies remember, that the 20th FS also got one F-4E with a frameless windscreen. They are full of compliments for it, finally they could see outside to the front of the jet.

SCOUT

69-0345, Smoke Trails Vol 6, No 1, pg 22, MO ANG

That should be 68-0345,there was no 69-0345.

You also should add F-4E 68-0424,it flew as the 181st TFG commander's a/c.It shows it on page 150 of Don Logan's ANG/AFRES F-4 book.

Scout,ask what tail number's they worked on in the 20th,my former F-4E,68-0490,was tranfered to the 20th in 1991 along with about five other of our F-4E's.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Was that part of the proposal for the "Super Phantom" that I believe Boeing, Pratt & Whitney and Isreal were working on for a time ???

Interesting stuff guys, thanks !!!

Gregg

We lost the RAF Phantoms back in 1992, but only a couple of years before the sudden change of mind (thanks to the wall coming down) the RAF had big upgrade plans - one of which included adding this same wind shield.

Oh well :blink:

Edited by Gary West

I remember a pic in an Osprey Aerospace book of an F-4G with a one-piece windshield. The title was (drawing from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong) Wild Weasels by Frank Mormillo. The pic's caption read something along the lines of "the one-piece windshield is a rarity".

Gents,

During Desert Storm, I had several...I repeat...several, F-4G Wild Weasels pull up to my windows with one-piece windsheilds. The one I distinctively remember was Col Ron Carp's 37th Tac Fighter Wing flagship jet. I took several pictures of this jet during ODS and it would take some hunting but I could probably find them. This was peculiar to only the 37th TFW and not the 52nd TFW jets from Spangdalhem. :cheers:

• 4 years later...

The screens were made in a joint development between McDonnell & Goodyear & fitted to F-4E's is 1985 for a one year evaluation period at the request of the AFFDL. Although they went down well, funding for the project didn't materialise, although the sceens remained fitted following the end of the evaluation. The screen seems to have been first fitted on the line to two Missouri ANG birds (68-0345 & 68-0351) which were from the first production of 99 F-4E's. This was followed by some additional later F-4E's & "handfull" of RF-4C's. I guess the F-4G's that had this screen were originaly F-4E's that had them fitted at factory

Boy, been since 1991 but IIRC all Squadron Commanders were to have these at George-Red, Blue, Yellow, silver and black Squadrons, but that was when I got out and not sure how many did?

Yes, Carp's had it and also IIRC, you can get his markings from the 1/48 AMT F-4G boxing. I do know if it was deployed DS that badges were removed from intake sides.

Also was told the windscreen was from the F-15?

I remember when the Hill scheme Hasegawa Weasel was new, I had read on the box "New one piece canopy" and thought it had this windscreen with it!

Do note where Pete (Hello Pete!) added tech that view A-A is true of all Phantom side windows, that there is no visible seal at the base since it continues below the panel.

Also was told the windscreen was from the F-15?

That makes sense but based on the previous poster's drawing the section views are wrong for a 15 windshield.

The F-15 windshield was one of my assemblies at McDonnell. Original F-15 windshields were drilled and fastened to the frame but with the E we had gone to a bonded in place assembly (no fasteners holding the glass in).

A single piece glass was much cheaper from a manufacturing standpoint because it required less parts and labor to build. But like many projects it was done as a test and when the final cost-benefit analysis came through and they saw how many ships would need to be built vs the scheduled build qty the cost wasn't there so it got dropped.

The fact that the Guard unit was next to the factory was just a coincidence. The 131st didn't get any special considerations when it came to aircraft mods.

jeff