F-4G with single piece windshield.

Sooo, how can we get one of these in 1/48 scale? I have at least 1 F-4G and 1 F-4E that needs them!!

Well, luckily it costs less to experiment on a model kit than the real thing! I'd say check around and you might find one portion of a canopy that you can modify-trim down that matches the size of the kit part. And fit it where it extends down the sides would be a plus.

Sooo, how can we get one of these in 1/48 scale? I have at least 1 F-4G and 1 F-4E that needs them!!

Oooh I found it! Well so far in 1/48 scale. It is another Mcdonnell-Douglas product and both Hasegawa as well. The Legacy Hornet. Maybe it was what they used on the real deal? Anyway, pulled both kits from the stash, compared the fit to fuselage and F-4 canopy parts. Looks like you just have to sand the rear at the frame @ 60 deg. and the rear portion of the bottom where it mounts. Cool! Can't wait to try the 1/32 application. :touche:

Oooh I found it! Well so far in 1/48 scale. It is another Mcdonnell-Douglas product and both Hasegawa as well. The Legacy Hornet. Maybe it was what they used on the real deal? Anyway, pulled both kits from the stash, compared the fit to fuselage and F-4 canopy parts. Looks like you just have to sand the rear at the frame @ 60 deg. and the rear portion of the bottom where it mounts. Cool! Can't wait to try the 1/32 application. :banana:

Geez...this place is freakin amazing. I have -never- seen so much aircraft information combined into one site. Anything you want. Amazing....

Paul

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a 1:48 Hasegawa kit either F-4E or "G" have the single piece windscreen in it, for some reason the "G" is buzzin around in me noggin...as the one that offered it, and it was the one that offered the markings for the 35th or 52nd Wings.

For the anal-retentive dudes among us, realize that the mod is a bit more than just sticking on a frameless windscreen. The ductwork inside the cockpit was modified, too, along with the defog vent at the base of the windscreen.

Jake

MPG_56-57.jpg

I think you're thinking of the "one piece canopy" offered in some kits, I haven't seen a frameless windshield in any of the F-4 kits I have (30+)

Ken

The more I think of it, the more positive I get, this was a kit I had back in the late 80's early 90's. At that time in the "Stone Age" prior to computers and the internet, I was thinking Ok they're gonna go AF wide with the windshield upgrades. Refs/pics were only available thru "aircraft in action", "Detail and scale, Kuko-Fan, and other books, and at a price :o . Some depended heavily on the kit instructions to be spot on.

Edited by Angels49
The more I think of it, the more positive I get, this was a kit I had back in the late 80's early 90's. At that time in the "Stone Age" prior to computers and the internet, I was thinking Ok they're gonna go AF wide with the windshield upgrades. Refs/pics were only available thru "aircraft in action", "Detail and scale, Kuko-Fan, and other books, and at a price :cheers: . Some depended heavily on the kit instructions to be spot on.

Well the comment I wrote in my first posting (in this thread) is about the same time period you mentioned. It was the 1/48 kit and I vaguely recall the Kioke box art depicted the frameless windscreen. But when I learned of Hasegawa producing the one piece canopy (as in the Revell Pro-modeller), I convinced myself that I had it wrong all this time. Now wish I had bought that box back then because I am once again not sure... Anyone have/had one with it?

I have built the phantom in all three scales now 129 times. Have 36 (1/48) in the stash. None have a frameless canopy. Mind you I wish I had some more one piece canopies. Those suckers are great.

• 7 years later...

As these topics still appear in internet searches and become a matter of record, I can add another airframe with the one piece windshield.

F4H-1 145310 under restoration at Murrietta, most inappropriately, has had one fitted.

Originally scheduled to return to flight in time for the Phantom's first flight 60th anniversary in May 2018, the restoration while substantially completed, was instead put up for sale earlier this year.42737418742_a95e02696e_h.jpg

8 hours ago, chek said:

F4H-1 145310 under restoration at Murrietta, most inappropriately, has had one fitted.

Now that's funny! Surely there must be a logical reason ... temporary?

Gene K

I'm not sure how temporary 'temporary' can be Gene, but she's been that way since she was moved from March AFB and that must be over ten years ago now.

I thought the one good thing about it is it shows that if a standard windshield were to be liberated from AMARC, it would fit and look much better, even if still not strictly correct for an F-4A.

Chek,

Indeed your post about the F4H-1 with the one piece windscreen is correct but for one reason only.  That being the original one over time corroded beyond repair and they were able to obtain the one piece.  Modifications had to be done of course to fit the replacement

windscreen in but they did manage.  They are trying to source another original one but currently the aircraft is up for sale.

Information Provided by:  Crew Dogs on the F4H-1

Thanks for the update, RD. I figured it was a case of 'needs must', and not just done for the lolz.

I've followed the restoration for years now, whenever a new batch of pictures become available, and the thoroughness and attention to detail is remarkable.

That being acknowledged, it's just a pity the windshield is anachronistic. Although it does lend a certain rakish Viggen Iook. I sincerely hope an original unit can be sourced or fabricated as it can only add to the authenticity of the restoration, and I hope the new owner continues with the plan to return to flight. If you have contact with the restore team, be sure to let them know their work is very impressive.

I'd been hoping that this May would have seen 145310 back in the air, and Tommy Thomason would have published his F4H-1 monograph to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the first flight, but neither happened. Just have to keep anticipating that at some point in time they will.

8 hours ago, chek said:

I'd been hoping that this May would have seen 145310 back in the air, and Tommy Thomason would have published his F4H-1 monograph to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the first flight, but neither happened. Just have to keep anticipating that at some point in time they will.

That was my plan but things got in the way, like new-to-me material. Steve Ginter has finally made me commit to a hard deadline so the monograph can be available by Christmas. It should be worth the wait for hard-core Phantom Phans.

38 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

...  so the [Phantom] monograph can be available by Christmas. 

Great news -- thanks.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

like new-to-me material. Steve Ginter has finally made me commit to a hard deadline so the monograph can be available by Christmas. It should be worth the wait for hard-core Phantom Phans.

Great to hear Tommy - that solves the Christmas present to self dilemma this year!

Amazing too that 50-60 years on, new material can still be surfacing.

Good luck with the title.

On 6/8/2006 at 9:59 PM, F4DPhan said:

Going through all my records, I have the following list for single-piece windscreen F-4's:

RF-4C:

65-0874, Per former NE ANG Crew Chief, PhanCon 91 Image

65-0935, Per former NE ANG Crew Chief

65-0942, Smoke Trails, Vol 9, No 3, Pg 24, CA ANG

68-0874, 124th TRG and 155th TRG (per Gary Chamber)

F-4E:

68-0516, Smoke Trails Vol 8, No 4, pg 23

69-0345, Smoke Trails Vol 6, No 1, pg 22, MO ANG

68-0351, Smoke Trails Vol 6, No 1, pg 23; also, the Colors & Markings book

68-0448, The Phantom Story (Thornborough), pg 159 (no photo)

68-0473, The Phantom Story (Thornborough), pg 151 (Turkish AF, former MO ANG)

F-4G:

69-0265, SMoke Trails Vol 10, No 2, pg 21, 57th FW

69-7263, Wild Weasals (Thornborough/Mormillo), pg 115, Wild Weasals (Davis, Squadron Signal), pg 70

69-0298, (Rick Chin/Leading Edge Decals/ID ANG), 561st TFS in Desert Storm, 1991, transferred to the 190th FS/124th FG, last active USAF F-4 to fly-off to AMARC, 1996

69-0273, (Rick Chin/Leading Edge Decals/ID ANG), International AIr Power Review #12, pg 85

Long time ago (1980's?), Maintrack Models made a resin(?) canopy for the single piece windscreen in 1/48th.

HTH.

Mike

We(181st TFG) had 68-0424 with the one piece windscreen,it was our Wing King jet,it is on Speed Hunter Decals Phantom Gunfighter sheet. It was transferred to the Greek AF in the summer of 1991.