Revell 1:32 Tornado Gr1

Nothing to sell, but just be careful which kit you're buying. It's its old the Revell/cegi kit, £15 is about £15 too much.

The only GR1 kits that are good are the new tool ones. Can't remember box numbers off hand, but they are the only ones that specifically mention RAF in the title.

Hi, Ollie,

This is the one you want. Note that the IDS and ECR boxings are not the same kit. OOP at the moment. One went for £20 on eBay a few days ago, but another went for £47, so it pays to keep your eyes open.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1
I was going to buy the one that comes with the decal for the grren tail with the star on it, is that not a good one?

Yes, Ollie, that's the one to get. The one I illustrated is the Revellogram boxing of the same kit. Here's a review of the boxing you're thinking of buying.

Cheers,

Chris.

Does the Revell ECR kit have the GR1 kit but with some an extra part tree included? or is the body a completely different shape?

Im asking because ive found the Revell GR1 in exactly zero places, but the ECR everywhere

Edited by Ollie T-Y

The basic Revell new tool Tornado has been released in 3 versions, they are chronologically:

Tornado IDS - Released by Revell of Germany (Luftwaffe only) and Revellogram (Marineflieger & Luftwaffe)

Basic IDS airframe with weapons sprues including 4 x Mk 80 series bombs, 2 x standard size external tanks, 1 x Recce Pod, 1 x Refuelling "buddy" pod, 1 Cerberus Jamming pod, 1 x BOZ countermeasures pod and 2 x Sidewinder plus 2 mystery (Kormoran ??) missile launch rails without missiles.

Tornado GR.1 - Released by Revell of Germany and Revellogram

As above but with additional RAF weapons sprue including 3 x CPU-123 Paveway LGB's, 4 x RAF 1000lb dumb bombs (nose profile needs altering), 2 x Hindenburger external fuel tanks, 1 x Skyshadow ECM pod, plus you still get all the IDS weapons too !!!

Tornado ECR - Released by Revell of Germany (Luftwaffe only)

As IDS above but includes an additional weapons sprue containing 2 x HARM missiles with launch rails, 1 underfuselage IR linescan fairing, plus new WSO rear panel including additional MFD's plus you still get the IDS weapons too !!

The IDS and GR.1 kits are no longer in the catalogue, the ECR is, however as Revell seem to update the kit every few years, you never know perhaps we'll get a GR.4 boxing next ???

In the meantime you can build an RAF Tonka from any of the kits but you'll need to get aftermarket weapons if you dont get the GR.1 weapons sprues.

Your best bet might be to get an ECR and trade for an GR.1 but as they are hard to find particularly in the UK you might have a long wait or alternatively invest in the Flightpath detail set, this gives you loads of options to build a GR.1/1A/4/4A plus bits left over.

I've just traded my last GR.1, but as I also have the Flightpath detail set there's plenty left to build a planned Royal Saudi AF Tonka using an IDS kit.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ant Phillips
does the ECR ever use Hindenburger tanks? does the UK even have ECRs?

The ECR variant is only used by the German and Italian air forces, for SEAD roles, and is not in service with the RAF (the RAF uses normal GR1/4 Tornados with ALARM for its SEAD platform).

AFAIK the RAF is the only European user of the Hindenburgers on ground attack Tornados (the Luftwaffe doesn't have any Hindenburgers, and the Italians only use them on their F.3 Tornados).

Saudi ground attack Tornados (like the RAF) appear to be operated with both types of fuel tanks, from the pictures I've seen :redx:

The ECR variant is only used by the German and Italian air forces, for SEAD roles, and is not in service with the RAF (the RAF uses normal GR1/4 Tornados with ALARM for its SEAD platform).

AFAIK the RAF is the only European user of the Hindenburgers on ground attack Tornados (the Luftwaffe doesn't have any Hindenburgers, and the Italians only use them on their F.3 Tornados).

Saudi ground attack Tornados (like the RAF) appear to be operated with both types of fuel tanks, from the pictures I've seen ;)

And the ALARM is also carried by the F-3 varient in order to extend the role of the F-3.(Check Eddie Grahams website)