I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but I've got a few AMT KC/EC-135's but I have no KC-135R. Are there any aftermarket CFM-56 engines? I know the Airfix E-3D has them but I'd hate to get that kit just to have the engines. TIA

John

There don't really seem to be too many options besides what you already mentioned. Flightpath has a CFM-56 set listed in 1/72 but it's shown as "available later." You might want to try to get in touch with them to see if there are any updates on it's availability. Here's their site:

http://www.djparkins.clara.net/fltpath/fpmaster.htm

Use this kit and change the decals. It is a KC-135R with French Refueling pods. Some of the current USAFE KC-135Rs have the pods.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=HR0384

The kit is a re pop of the AMT KC-135 with a few extras.Im finding it hard to find the R kit too, only got two so far :D

Anybody know what the refueling baskets look like on this kit?

Edited by mrvark
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but I've got a few AMT KC/EC-135's but I have no KC-135R. Are there any aftermarket CFM-56 engines? I know the Airfix E-3D has them but I'd hate to get that kit just to have the engines. TIA

John

I went through this a few months ago myself. Was looking for some engines to update my RC-135V. Managed to find the Heller KC-135FR kit at a swap meet and a kind gentleman (from another forum) had a set of resin engines which he had made from the Heller kit engines. The resin set are a bit rough but should clean up nicely (I hope).

So you best bet at the moment would be the Heller 135.

:lol:

A few points about the MPRS and those included in the Heller kit.

According to Don Logan, those supplied in the kit are for the French version; the USAF Mk 32b differs in having the formation lights on the outside of the pod; those in the kit are in a 'tray' under the basket, giving it a 'cleaner' appearance.

Also, I think I remember a tanker-type saying that the small vanes are 'handed'; that is, they are only supposed to be on the outer aspect of the pod, not both sides.

Finally, for a USAF MPRS bird, the modeler needs to add new floodlights: one on the outside of each outboard engine pylon, as well as a floodlight on each side of the fuselage, under the horizontal stabilizers.

HTH

Mike

Warning: AMT/Heller CFM engines are underscaled, some facts:

Heller/AMT c-135 engines are 50 mm. long and 22 mm intake wide.

Airfix/Heller/DB engines are 55 mm long and 24 mm intake wide.

As the AMT B-52s engines are not to scale I suspect it is the same with the KC-135R and Heller C-135 FR engines.

post-3-1074112867.jpg

Edited by EF
Warning: AMT/Heller CFM engines are underscaled, some facts:

As the AMT B-52s engines are not to scale I suspect it is the same with the KC-135R and Heller C-135 FR engines.

post-3-1074112867.jpg

What should they be?

And are the engines the right scale when compaired to the rest of the kit that they come with?

Well I emailed Flightpath and got a quick response. They said,

Hello Sir,

We will do another production run - as of right now, we have no date firmeed up for this.

It will probably not be until the very end of this year - but we'll update our web site just as soon as we do.

With Kind Regards,

DJP/Flightpath

So I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer.

John

So what kit, if any, includes the "Airfix/Heller/DB" engines? :cheers: If I understand correctly the new Heller C-135FR are the same as the AMT engines?

John

The Heller/Airfix E-3 uses the same wings as the B-707 model that is out of production for the time being, and the wing mounts for the engines are different from the AMT/Heller KC-135R/C-135FR. Also the inboard mounts and the outboard engine mounts are different on both models. It would take a lot of modification to get the Heller/Airfix CFM-56 engines to work on the AMT/Heller 135.

Well, don't let that stop you. I have used some KC-135R engines, but I modified and attached them to a 1/72 BBJ model:

post-14-1098976420.jpg

And I've scratchbuilt/kitbashed the engines on a 1/72 B-747 model:

post-3-1104712943.jpg

But the point is EF, the engine mounts are wrong.

If your going to use the wrong engine mounts you might just as well use the "wrong" engines.

At least that way it takes less miss guided effort to get to wrong on purpose.

Even FLightpath engines are for the E-3D, not the KC-135R family...

Also in my opionion despite the AMT/Heller engines being wrong, they look better than the Airfix/heller E-3 engines do when fitted to an AMT/Heller KC-135R.