This is my first jet in more than 10 years. I decided to try foil for the rear part of the plane. I boiled some foil with some eggs to discolor it. I think it looks the part. The forward part of the plane is painted with MM polished aluminum plate. This 104 has been a nice change. Not a bad kit either. Somewhere I read the intakes don't fit. I had no problems. I haven't used any filler on the kit.

Hope you like,

104-3.jpg

104-4.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Looking good Ron! Never would have thought about using eggs, but it makes sense.

Working on a CF-104 myself, albeit in the bigger scale.

Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Ron,

Your metal finish looks fantastic, especially the egg foil. I read about that technique ages ago in an issue of Scale Aircraft Modeling although I've never tried it - I'm not a fan of boiled eggs. :worship:

Two minor points:

1) The flaps/slats would not be down unless the aircraft had power applied (external or the engine running). This was SOP but as always there is probably a picture floating around that proves this wrong.

2) Only one natural metal CF-104 had the RHAW gear installed as you have under the nose - I believe this was one of AETE's machines.

These points may or may not bother you, after all it is your model. It looks really sharp so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Cheers,

Sean

1) The flaps/slats would not be down unless the aircraft had power applied (external or the engine running). This was SOP but as always there is probably a picture floating around that proves this wrong.

Cheers,

Sean

I asked myself the same question went I started building my F-104 and I have found quite a few photo's of parked F-104's with the flaps "half" down, but never fully deployed.

Which everway you pose it, your model is looking excellent :D

Looking forwards to seeing it finshed.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Thanks all, here are some shots after decalling last night. The wings and tanks are not glued on yet. Tonight I will assemble and add the landing gear. I debated the dropped flaps but I have this photo of one landing with the flaps/slats down and had to do it. I am not leaving the canopy open so I guess it's engine is running?

The cutting edge kit had the RHAW pod in the set and I jut mounted it. I never noticed it wasn't on the one I am modeling until after I started painting. Note this is a quick build, I had it assembled as shown in the second photo above in one night. No worries.

I didn't polish the whole fuse Al, only the joints where I had sanding or where Tenex was applied. I gave these areas a real quick rub with 2000 git sand paper and water. The MM paint spays real nice out of the bottle not thinned.

thanks for the comments. I am off to do some assembly

1-Picture009.jpg

2Picture008.jpg

4Picture006.jpg

Thanks all, unfortunately the pod stays. I don't want risk wrecking this finish taking it off. Oh well

Here are some update pics. It's pretty much done now. I have enough decals left over to do one more!!

104-12.jpg

104-13.jpg

104-14.jpg

104-15.jpg

104-16.jpg

Very nice looking -104. If I'm not mistaken 721 was the FIRST -104 delivered to 1 Air Div...3 Wing ZAweibrucken, Nov 1962. It was used as a training airframe for a while before being taken back to Canadair for major re-fit then returned to flying status. I was at Zwei the day the Herc delivered the first bird.

Barney