1/32 YF-23 Black Widow II

Expensive yes... no matter as I will absolutely swear to you now, Chris- I will buy one.

Beautiful work. Truly exciting modeling here, everybody. This is the real deal.

Chris- I am stoked!!!

This is so good I'm gonna sit back, crack a six-pack and watch.

Thank you all for the nice comments!!! <_<

I know that you're very busy but if you ever get the chance, a step by step "how to..." over in Tools & Tips would be most welcome.
Thanks Guy!

I'll make a point of taking some 'action' shots and putting together an article, though I'm not doing anything really different than most.

If you look in the picture you can see my 'secret' tools, a sharp compass point, a less sharp compass point and an even less sharp straight pin.

Belly.jpg

I start each line or rivet with the sharpest and move up in diameter until the width is what I want.

I use either a ruler, plastic sheet, dymo tape, vinyl tape or aluminum tape for the panel lines depending upon which meets my needs for that line.

I use the same points/pins for rivets. I made and printed a series of dots (periods) on the computer and resized them to different spacings. I lay this on the model and poke each with the sharpest compass point. Remove the paper and smear black 'grease pencil' (Stabillo 'all' works well as it cleans off with water when I'm done) to better see the layout. Next comes a larged diameter point and adjustments if the first set look off. I keep enlarging and poking them with bigger diameter pins until I reach the diameter I'm happy with, smearing the black pencil after each pass.

Next I wet-sand with 1200, then 2000 and it's done...

Sometimes I use a homemade rosie the riveter, but just lightly mark the plastic then use the pin method to actually do the engraving.

HTH for now...

:blink:

<...> I made and printed a series of dots (periods) on the computer and resized them to different spacings. I lay this on the model and poke each with the sharpest compass point. <...>

That's a really neat idea!

Hey, that is MINE idea! :explode: (NO, i am not angry AT ALL, but smily fits here. :P )

I found that out 1 year ago or so! Later i found out that someone found that out before me--->

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...lson/tnt132.htm

:(

For that Chris, i need FREE Yf-23. :shoot:

PS: But you mannaged to make those rivets MUCH better than me. Good job!

Edited by Berkut
Thank you all for the nice comments!!! :cheers:

Thanks Guy!

I'll make a point of taking some 'action' shots and putting together an article, though I'm not doing anything really different than most.............(~snippety-snip~)...............

HTH for now...

:cheers:

Thanks Chris, it's a neat insight into your technique. As you say, not too diferent from most but, the result is! :coolio:

Whenever I've tried scribing I've really struggled to:

i/, get the line thickness consistent.

ii/, get the line depth consistent and

iii/, manage to get rid of the ridge of plastic created as I draw the scribing tool through the material.

Do you find that scribing the resin is different to plastic?

I can see how sanding will remove the ridge but don't the freshly engraved panel lines and rivets just fill with waste material again? That certainly seems to be the case when I've tried.

Perhaps I'm not being patient enough.

Chris, on average, how many times would you say you make a pass along any given line? Twice, three times, more....? Perhaps I'm trying to make a line too quickly or I'm pressing too hard.

Any insight you can offer will be invaluable my friend. Thanks again for taking the time to explain your techniques. :D

The kit is looking brilliant......

Thank you all for the nice comments!!! :whistle:

Thanks Guy!

I'll make a point of taking some 'action' shots and putting together an article, though I'm not doing anything really different than most.

If you look in the picture you can see my 'secret' tools, a sharp compass point, a less sharp compass point and an even less sharp straight pin.

Belly.jpg

I start each line or rivet with the sharpest and move up in diameter until the width is what I want.

I use either a ruler, plastic sheet, dymo tape, vinyl tape or aluminum tape for the panel lines depending upon which meets my needs for that line.

I use the same points/pins for rivets. I made and printed a series of dots (periods) on the computer and resized them to different spacings. I lay this on the model and poke each with the sharpest compass point. Remove the paper and smear black 'grease pencil' (Stabillo 'all' works well as it cleans off with water when I'm done) to better see the layout. Next comes a larged diameter point and adjustments if the first set look off. I keep enlarging and poking them with bigger diameter pins until I reach the diameter I'm happy with, smearing the black pencil after each pass.

Next I wet-sand with 1200, then 2000 and it's done...

Sometimes I use a homemade rosie the riveter, but just lightly mark the plastic then use the pin method to actually do the engraving.

HTH for now...

Good idea with the printed dots i will sure use it in the future :-)

I know this is probably a little early to ask this.....

Can you give us a ballpark price range? $150-$200.....higher?

I need to know what I need to sell to get one of these,so I might as well start now. :D

Full Afterburner,

Scot M.

I know this is probably a little early to ask this.....

Can you give us a ballpark price range? $150-$200.....higher?

I need to know what I need to sell to get one of these,so I might as well start now. :D

Full Afterburner,

Scot M.

Hi Scot,

Please send your mailing address and credit card info

and you are sure to be a happy man!

EvilChris.jpg

Price, Release date and quantity "To Be Determined", but will most likely be more than '$150-$200'.

I'm going to try to keep it 'reasonable'...

:worship: