1/32 YF-23 Black Widow II

I had a cool experience when I was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB. I went for a walk and found an old hanger where the Air Force Museum was storing their future display aircraft. The aircraft were in various states awaiting restoration including a MiG-29. Then I saw a shape I didn't recognize at first. I then realized I was looking at the back end of a YF-23 fuselage sans wings! It was really cool to see. I am looking forward to the day when it is restored and placed in the museum (at least I hope that's where it was going).

Cheers! :cheers:

-HK sends

Edited by HK_sends

I had a cool experience when I was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB. I went for a walk and found an old hanger where the Air Force Museum was storing their future display aircraft. The aircraft were in various states awaiting restoration including a MiG-29. Then I saw a shape I didn't recognize at first. I then realized I was looking at the back end of a YF-23 fuselage sans wings! It was really cool to see. I am looking forward to the day when it is restored and placed in the museum (at least I hope that's where it was going).

Cheers! :cheers:

-HK sends

Are you talking about PAV-1 or PAV-2? PAV-1 has been restored for a while, and is in Dayton museum. PAV-2 is at Torrance Airport. Even tho she has suffered a lot, she is still beautiful.

5014324107_86d32c1209_b.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

5019735301_226e984d1a_b.jpg

Regards Anton - self proclaimed YF-23 fanboy. :D

Edited by Berkut

One of the koolest aircraft ever to fly. I can't wait to have this baby on 1/32. It will be a talking point in the cabinet for sure.

All we need is a 'Discovering the YF-23' Daco publication to be issued with it.

I remember over hearing a conversation at an airshow (in front of the F-22) that the YF-23 was much better, but had gone on to do lots more, that nobody knows about...

These pictures suggest otherwise.

All we need is a 'Discovering the YF-23' Daco publication to be issued with it.
Now there's a book I'd love to have!!!

I'm still looking for more reference pictures particularly of the cockpit, weapons bay and the two different exhausts/engine details.

Some day... :pray:

:cheers:

Are you talking about PAV-1 or PAV-2? PAV-1 has been restored for a while, and is in Dayton museum. PAV-2 is at Torrance Airport. Even tho she has suffered a lot, she is still beautiful.

5014324107_86d32c1209_b.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

5019735301_226e984d1a_b.jpg

Regards Anton - self proclaimed YF-23 fanboy. :D

Well, I retired back in '04...I think it was 2002 or 2003, so it has been a while!

-HK sends

PAV-1 was delivered in pieces to Wright-Patterson in 2000.

Re-assembly and a fresh paint job was finished in 2008.

It now sits beneath the XB-70 in the Air Force Museum Research and Development Gallery in Dayton:

PAV-1_Dayton.jpg

I'm still looking for more reference pictures particularly of the cockpit, weapons bay and the two different exhausts/engine details.

I have some pretty good cockpit shots Chris. Regarding weaponbay, previous pictures was more like one off case it seems, sadly... I will send you email with cockpit pictures atleast.

• 1 month later...

Try this site, they have some nice shots of the areas you need: YF-23 site

Cheers,

Markus

Try this site, they have some nice shots of the areas you need: YF-23 site/quote]Thank you Markus.

Yes I am aware of the YF-23.net site.

In order to include as much detail as I would like, I'm always looking for more photos, particularly of the exhausts, cockpit and weapons bays.

• 3 months later...

Awesome work dude. I want 3. grey scheme, grey & brown & a whiff.

Just a thought, but i know a way for you to earn big bucks. publish a scratch building book. honestly i think there are only 2 available. i bought this one a while ago http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=333

And it was a huge waste of money. they dont tell you or show you how they make them. its just a book full of the authors finished work. I was totally cheated out of my money i think. there is another book The Master Scratch Builders: Their Aircraft Models & Techniques but i refuse to buy it, because i don't know if it talks about the methods used.

you could make a killing here, fill the void, make your own book

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news of the progress of this model? I can't wait to see it finished and for sale.I read the other day that this aircraft is on the to do list for JSI and thier 1/18 scale aircraft. Will be interesting to see it they do a good job of it. Zactoman will be able to hang one from his ceiling and admire it all day while he makes the resin kits for us :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Chris,

As the aged and damaged coatings were stripped from the aircraft prior to repainting for display, the fasteners you are so dilligently duplicating became visible again. As a flight test aircraft, most were nearly invisible because of multiple coatings including repeated paint-over-primer.

Since I am one of the few NG workers who worked on all phases of the YF-23 Dem-Val program, from the early wind tunnel models to the RCS bird, and on PAV-1 and 2 (and NATF items) from structural parts to finish coatings I'd say you're working maybe a little too hard to duplicate items that should be almost invisible in 1/32nd scale items. Don't be fooled by what's left of PAV-1 and 2. These were fairly smooth, slick, and pretty much dimple free when in operation during the program. Some of the patches put on during the flight test program were pretty horrible though, like on the right side of the #2 engine exhaust shroud shown in the photos on line at YF-23.net. Also, don't believe everything you read, such as the 23 PAVs having aluminum noses. I helped scribe the preliminary plasters and made plastic-faced-plaster molds from it to form tools for the production of the original carbon fiber nose parts.

Outlines and placement of screens and vents look great, and the contours are very close. Good job so far! I can't wait to see a finished version and find out what I am going to have to shell out to get a kit!

Mark Coffin

Edited by the Doc

Thanks for the input and insight Mark!

I'm happy to hear from someone with hands-on experience that I'm getting it right!

I am aware that much of the surface detail might barely show in 1/32. Much of it barely shows in 1/1!

The surface detail on my pattern tends to really stand out and look exaggerated because it is highlighted with a stark black wash over a smooth white surface.

Much of the surface detail you see on my pattern is very, very fine, especially the tiny 'rivets'. These details will barely show on the finished, painted model and might disappear completely if the builder adds too many coats of paint. Those who want to loose some of the detail can easily hide it with a couple coats of primer.

Because these details are present, a skilled builder/painter will be able to choose just how much he wants to include on his finished build. Some may want to show it all...

P.S. To all that will start asking again, this project is still on hold for the foreseeable future. When I do start working on it again I will let you all know.

Chris,

Interested in Factory data and lines on the F/A-18E model?

NG was good to me for 18 1/2 years, and I got to work on all kinds of "projects", but I only got info from one I got deep into the subsystems of during the Test & Evaluation phases. One of the engineers thought it would be funny to send me a set complete with my name as pilot on the side of the canopy rail. Unfortunately he sent 2 sizes of prints through the system, so I have both big and HUGE sets to work from.

I think a nice RC version would benefit from the huge one, and somebody who corrects kits might like the smaller set.

Unfortunately, I can not send them to you until the YF-23 is finished, as I'm sure it would just further delay it's inevitable completion.

Mark

Edited by the Doc
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for replying for me Rdrunner!

I've edited the first post so hopefully new viewers will see that the project is on hold.

If I were to hit the Lotto I would drop everything and work on this full time, but until then I need to keep producing new smaller products to pay the bills.

If business keeps improving, I'll eventually be able to hire some employees which will free me up to work on the YF-23 again. So if you want to see this happen, keep buying Zactomodels products!!!

Thanks for replying for me Rdrunner!

I've edited the first post so hopefully new viewers will see that the project is on hold.

If I were to hit the Lotto I would drop everything and work on this full time, but until then I need to keep producing new smaller products to pay the bills.

If business keeps improving, I'll eventually be able to hire some employees which will free me up to work on the YF-23 again. So if you want to see this happen, keep buying Zactomodels products!!!

No problem Chris, :thumbsup: I know how it is. I am also awaiting for this kit and plan to get a few other items from your store.

Ken

Edited by Rdrunner
  • 6 months later...

I've drooled over these pics so many times. Even though I don't own anything else in 1/32 except some Moebius Galactica Vipers, I would get this. Have you considered also doing the EMD / F-23A and/or F-23B variants from the released Northrop drawings?

Have you considered also doing the EMD / F-23A and/or F-23B variants from the released Northrop drawings?

Long ago, before the drawings were released to the public, I was considering doing production variants. But now, after not even being able to work on the YF variant for so long so that I can keep Zactomodels running, I'm no longer considering the other variants. I'd just be happy to finish the YF...