1/32 YF-23 Black Widow II

I have a copy of the YF-23A Utility Flight Manual dated 1 June 1990. I would be willing to send you a copy.

John

Thanks for the offer John! :salute:

I've already got a scanned copy however. Been thinking about buying an actual printed copy.

Thanks again for the nice comments!

I won't be getting much done on it this weekend. A-7 canopies arrived and I'm busy stuffing boxes...

Chris :woo:

we can get other projects like a 1/32nd scale Eurofighter Typhoon created to the same stratospherically high standards............. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Wow G-dub, you and I are always on the same page! Trumpeter lists the EF-2000 as a future 32nd scale release in both sport and family models, and I have no doubt that there will be "issues" that only Chris can respond to-

Chris, can I come live with you? You could use an aprentice. I volunteer!

Pig

Wow wow wow Chris. All I can say is wow. I wouldn't know a YF-23 if it ran me over (being stealth at least I wouldn't know it was coming) but I sure know upper echelon modeling when I see it. Now if I could just talk you into doing some double winged string bags the world would be perfect :banana:

Cheers

Mike

That way, we can get other projects like a 1/32nd scale Eurofighter Typhoon created to the same stratospherically high standards.............

Wow G-dub, you and I are always on the same page! Trumpeter lists the EF-2000 as a future 32nd scale release in both sport and family models, and I have no doubt that there will be "issues" that only Chris can respond to-

If you need cheering up, this is the place to go. There´s only good news in here!

:thumbsup:

<...> other projects like a 1/32nd scale Eurofighter Typhoon created to the same stratospherically high standards............. :thumbsup:
Wow G-dub, you and I are always on the same page! Trumpeter lists the EF-2000 as a future 32nd scale release in both sport and family models, <...>

In a post on a Flugzeugforum.de a user said he went on a Revell of Germany facility visit in 2006. He asked about a 32nd scale Typhoon and they said there will DEFINITELY be a new Typhoon. Both single- and twin-seater versions. No release date or whether both versions will be in one boxing, just that there will be a new Typhoon in 32nd scale.

Absolutely stunning stuff Chris!

I have spent an hour or so going through this thread, and it is one of the most interesting on-line builds I have ever seen. The information a modeller can glean for your posts is incredible. I for one will be looking forward to this kit, even though I am not really a fan of post cold war US jets, I think this one has a great deal of character and you are capturing all of that perfectly.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Chris, can I come live with you? You could use an aprentice. I volunteer!

Pig

Gee,,

For some reason I got this image: kill Bill II,

Chris as Pai Mai..Resin Sensei

Now if I could only photoshop..

• 2 weeks later...
Chris, can I come live with you? You could use an apprentice. I volunteer!

Pig

The guest room is right next to the shop,,, and the beer fridge...

Please send your application for internship to Zactoman@Zactomodels.com :D

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody! I'm honored...

Progress has been slow lately. I've been busy with life...Home repairs, car repairs, home electronics repairs, shoveling snow, lovin the Zactowoman, etc.

Oh yeah, I've also been continuing to mold, cast and fill orders for Su-27 and A-7 kits. Su-27 orders are being filled immediately and A-7s are on back-order again until the next batch of vacuumformed canopies arrives from Mr. Tigger. His canopies seem to get better and better! :whistle:

Thank you to Jay Laverty for a very nice review of my A-7 kit on Europeanmodeller.com as well as to Steve for a really nice review >>>here<<< at ARC. You guys are keeping me busy! :D

I've also been pretty distracted with my new addiction to "what if" art.

For those who have missed the big 'what-if' thread here at ARC, you should go check it out. Lots of very cool schemes and really nice artwork!

Here are a few YF-23 pics I've posted there:

JASDF%20YF-23.jpg

JASDF%20F-23s.jpg

JASDF%20F-23-2.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Lower fuselage detail is about finished and I'm back on the upper half again.

Northrop intentionally designed these vents to be very difficult to model...

Bypass.jpg

Now I have to do the other side...

Bypasslg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

:banana:

Hiya CHris,

Wonderful work you have here. Humor the ragwing guy and tell me what you use to make your masters? I'm very old school and use basswood then vacuuform, which works OK but sometimes I can't get the fidelity of detail that you are getting. A fellow club member gave me a 4 x 4 x 24 hunk of Ren-Form which I am going to try on America, but I'm still curious to know what you use. Your surfaces appear very smooth, plus you are able to scribe and rivit the master? Or do you cast a first peice then scribe and rivit the resin? Forgive me if I missed something in a previous post but I'm always looking for new techniques.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking

Chris, what can I say dude.... drop dead fricking incredible. Yeah, that's way understated by the way.

Question1 ... what is the anticipated length of the Black Widow?

Question2 ... resin, right?

Sorry for the sheer stupidity of question 2. I'm going to have a hard time NOT doing a what-if scheme for it. I can see a Tiger Meet bird right now...

Wonderful work you have here. Humor the ragwing guy and tell me what you use to make your masters? I'm very old school and use basswood then vacuuform, which works OK but sometimes I can't get the fidelity of detail that you are getting. A fellow club member gave me a 4 x 4 x 24 hunk of Ren-Form which I am going to try on America, but I'm still curious to know what you use. Your surfaces appear very smooth, plus you are able to scribe and rivit the master? Or do you cast a first peice then scribe and rivit the resin?
Hi Mike,

Check out the very first post of this thread. Short answer, all the intricate detail is being done on a resin casting.

REN-Form? Is that the hard dense stuff, REN-Shape or REN-Foam?

REN-Shape board machines well and holds tight detail and can be scribed and have rivet detail added. It can even be polished. That is what I made the patterns for my Su-27 and A-7 canopies from.

canopy005sm.jpg

It is a lot of work doing large organic shapes requiring lots of hand-work though so I chose to use foam for the YF-23.

Question1 ... what is the anticipated length of the Black Widow?

Question2 ... resin, right?

It will be approx 25 1/4" long with a 16 1/2" wing span.

post-3710-1138254660.jpg

Yes it will be cast resin. The good stuff... :woot.gif:

Xac- what's it's like, to be so frickin' awesome? :cheers:
:D

:cheers:

It's the relentless attention to detail that is going to make this model stand out when it is released Chris. It's going to be absoultely massive, but that will only be one small part of what will make it so impressive. This is one seriously enjoyable thread to follow. Thanks Chris!

Cheers mate,

Jay