3M Acryl Blue is probably the most famous of the automotive putties that modelers use. The tube is about 1 pound (½ kilo) and costs about $15 or so. You can only buy it at auto supply stores that cater to pro's, the mass market chains (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.) don't carry it.

I've used the same tube for about 8 years or so, and I haven't used half of it yet, I build about 6 1/48 jets a year, I think the worst fitting kit used less than a tablespoon of the putty, so you can see how long it lasts.

3M also makes Acryl Red and Acryl Green, both coarser grained than the Blue, I think red is the coarsest and green is in the middle, maybe the other way around.

Bondo has a red spot putty, I used a tube of it before I tried Squadron White, Bondo red is fine, just a bear to cover the color if you're doing a light paint scheme, and it did seem to be coarse grained, a good coat of primer and a light sanding sealed it well. Supposedly, Testors MM Red Putty is the same stuff.

Evercoat brand catalized putties are popular with the automotive modeling crowd, mainly due to the quick cure time (<10 minutes), but they have a strong solvent smell.

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Ken

I used to use Squadron White putty because it was easy to paint with a white or light colored paint but it took forever to dry, left small bubble holes and usually ended up shrinking after a period of time where it showed the area puttied.

A couple years ago I was converting the Mono F-100D into a F-100F. I was using gap filling super glue to glue the parts together and was amazed how quickly I was able to build up the gap between the parts. With a little zip kicker you can start sanding almost immediately and the stuff will not shrink and it cures hard as nails. The only drawback, it stinks to high heaven and if you don't start sanding right away, the dry hard as nails makes it tough to sand down.

I've used gap filling super glue now exclusively and had to toss out my white stuff because it dried in the tube.

Don

Tamiya putty also works well. It has what appears to be metal particles (possibly to control shrinkage and add rigidity).

Dries pretty fast, adheres well and sands well. Not as porous as Squadron Green.

Yes I have noticed this quality about it. Must admit since I came across this tamyia putty for small jobs I will use nothing else, very much better than the sqn stuff. Not good for large jobs though.

For larger jobs and sculpting, particuarly wing to body joins I use milliput. I know it takes a long time to cure but you can get most of the shape with a wet finger or clay moulding tool and then the final result requires little sanding. Will also not melt placstic if used in large amounts.

Julien

Any auto glazing putty will work fine. Bondo brand is about 2 bucks for a 4.5oz tube. I thin it with Testor's liquid cement (brush-in-cap type). For nasty gaps, apply super glue over a sanded base coat of glazing putty.

I've always used

Tamiya Grey Basic - can be sanded very smooth, and is (as some1 else said) very strong, and does not shink at all

Tamiya Epoxy (quick and regular) - works well for those reallly bad seams and places where i screwed up the sanding (sanded too much and something looks 'flat')

Mr. Dissolved Putty - works well for small jobs, and stuff in tough places (missile fins, around windsrcresns) -cleans up in seams with 91% alcohol about 4-5 mins after application

HTH

Anthony