1/72 Electra (Hasegawa P-3 Conversion)

I have done a bit more to the old bird. I had started the surgery on the P-3 kit back in February. I saw a picture of a completed one at the Melbourne (Australia) Model Expo just passed and it got me interested again.

I have now glued the forward fuselage sections together and added some (a lot?) putty. From the pics I see that there are a few more blemishes especially in the resin parts to attend to.

Here are the pictures:

This is the model I saw (Photo courtesy of Fizzychops)

Dsc04313.jpg

Assembly as it stands

ElectraFuselage.jpg

A nose close up

Electranose.jpg

Nose again, underneather

ElectraNoseWW.jpg

and the tail area

Electratail.jpg

There are a few depressions and inlets I am not sure about so I did not fill them. I will have to check some refs to see if these stay or go.

I am not sure what I will do with the windscreen panes, either fill them with putty and use a decal or paint the indentation with a black or dark grey and fill the depressions with Testors Clear Cement.

:cheers:

Looks good Aussie! ;) You're to be commended just for taking on the Hasegawa kit, let alone do a conversion. I built a 737-300 some time ago and used Bare Metal Foil Black Chrome for the windows, but that was in 1/144 so I'm not sure how it work in 1/72. Any thoughts on what paint scheme it will wear when all is said and done? Something with lots of colour I hope.

Thanks Don and David,

I am tending back to the TAA scheme for that reason.

I aslo have the QANTAS decal in 1/144 for the Minicraft kit that is lost in the stash at the moment. So I will build the QANATS Electra one day inat least 1/144 scale.

;)

:D Great work Ray!

I actually had the idea once to convert a 1:72 Orion into an Electra, but looking how much work it will take, I'm affraid I'll pass for now..

Thank you for sharing the pics!

Gertjan

Can i ask if you didn't convert it, is the kit a good fit? I have the update III version and intend on making it into an orion with lights, engines etc. Hopefully I'll do it in RAAF colours if I can find the decals.

Brett

MarcB,

There is one available at Victorian Hobby centre I think. Not sure of price. They have a 25% off everything at the moment. Get in quick!

Tony:

Mine was AU$55 about 9 months ago. And the Vic Hobby Centre was where I got it from. So 25% off would be a good deal!

Brett:

The fit of the kit is pretty good. I have a few in the stash for various marks: NP-3D, EP-3E, P3-AEW, Etc :blink:

Erick:

Thanks mate, make sure you post your progress :lol:

I have only done a bit more finer sanding on it so far, need to attend to the wing mods next, filling the weapons pylon attachment points and trimming the tailing edge extension off the wing tips. I have sanded the raised detail off and probably will not replace it. I will use some shades of bare metal for the undersides and wings to show some panel detail.

;)

The wings are on!

Some puttying and sanding happening now. I have also filled the weapon pylon attachment areas and clipped the wing tips but am not sure about the correct shape. Will have to do some research :banana: I think they are a bit rounder than what they are at the moment.

ElectraWingson.jpg

I still need to clean up the forward wing root join and it will need a little more putty (tomorrow).

Electrabottom.jpg

Some minor progress.

Fitted the No.3 engine and assembled the prop. The prop blades are part of the conversion and required a little clean up and then mating to the kit hub parts, still need to fill some small holes in it and clean up the seam along the centre of the hub. Also added the landing gear struts to assist in the painting stage. The horizontal stabs have been fitted but not glued and need a bit of adjusting.

Regarding extra nose weight, I added none as the weight of the forward fuselage resin plug is more than enough to keep it from tail sitting.

Furthur work includes cleaning up the leading edge seams and finding a set of instructions for the kit to see what else I have to use from the kit parts :banana:

Enignetest1.jpg

Enignetest2.jpg

:thumbsup:

Edited by Aussie747
Awesome Ray. Saw a presentation on the Electra (in Australian service)last night at a club meeting.

How different are the props from the Electra compared to the Orion?

thanks guys :P

The Orion's blades are rounded at the tip and slightly broader. Other than that they use the same hub and engine :D

<_<

• 2 months later...
Any new pictures on this conversion?

Well I have the fuselage now sanded and the other engine nacelles fitted. Waiting for Clayton to update the decals set and print one off so I can start masking. THis one is slowly getting to the top of the finish pile.

updatetop.jpg

updatebottom.jpg