1/72 Electra (Hasegawa P-3 Conversion)

Will we see it at expo?

Not sure Tony, was planning to make the trip but since the organisers have moved the dates for Expo it makes it a bit more difficult to get down since I would have to take 2 days off rather than the 1 when it was over the long weekend. Our club is planning a couple of car loads to come down but I need clearance from Home Command :shoot: to attend.

Not sure Tony, was planning to make the trip but since the organisers have moved the dates for Expo it makes it a bit more difficult to get down since I would have to take 2 days off rather than the 1 when it was over the long weekend. Our club is planning a couple of car loads to come down but I need clearance from Home Command :salute: to attend.

They changed the Expo dates? When is it now?

Kev

They changed the Expo dates? When is it now?

Kev

Kev,

Due to the Olympics interfering with the Aus Touring Car Championships, Sandown will be in use over the long weekend by above organisation. This has forced the organisers of Expo to find a new weekend which is the 28th and 29th of June. The Swap and Sell will be on the Sunday. The long weekend was much more convenient for us interstaters.

Ray!!!

Thought you might get back to that. Well worth the extra time and effort for the plug, eh?

Nice work! Actually looking very good now.

Backtracking like that is such a pain but you did a great job!

RS :moai:

Thanks RusTy

I am pushing this one to the front of the que now, as I think it will be a down hill run with all the issues I have had with it. Hope to wrap it up in the next few weeks.

:P

Edited by Trojan Thunder
Kev,

Due to the Olympics interfering with the Aus Touring Car Championships, Sandown will be in use over the long weekend by above organisation. This has forced the organisers of Expo to find a new weekend which is the 28th and 29th of June. The Swap and Sell will be on the Sunday. The long weekend was much more convenient for us interstaters.

Thanks Ray, I'll make a note of the changed dates. I guess there wasn't much they could do about that one.

Kev

I can't see the name of the converssion set listed anywhere in the thread. Who makes it and is it available anywhere? Help a damsel sort of in distress?

Jessie,

I got mine about 4 years ago from the Victorian Hobby Centre in Melbourne, Australia. It is no longer available from them.......

But you can now get it direct from an Ebay seller (melinda4844) for AU$60 plus post.

Here is a link to a listing for the set Linky

Unfortunately the new producer (not melinda4844, she just lists and sells them) decided to pull all the props off the centre former to get the set parts count up. This can be fixed will some brass rod or such.

:)

Edited by Trojan Thunder

You could try pre ordering this Classic Plane conversion kit! Cost 60 euro.

In preparation, low quantity, so preorders are welcome:

L-188 Super Electra (Channel Express / Zantorp, Hasegawa/Revell Orion

L-188 Super Electra (KLM) incl. Hasegawa/Revell Orion

http://www.classic-plane-mrr.de/index_e.html

I have no further information, just discovered this recently while searching for an Electra conversion.

Well a little progress report for you all...

I TRASHED the model on the weekend as a result of my own hamfistedness. I was rubbing back the paint as there was a large build up from multiple primer and white base coats. To cut a long story short the fuselage could not sustain the sanding and rubbing back and I punched a hole in it between the cockpit and fuselage plug. :o Boy was I p*ssed.... :taunt:

So since I had entered it into a local comp this February and I had a few spare P-3 kits in the stash I decided to salvage the resin and start again! Boy am I a sucker for punishment! :wacko:

Anyway that was Sunday afternoon. Here is some progress since then:

Sunday Evening:

Resin reclaimed from Electra MK 1 build.

Careful selection of next donor kit to chop (grabbed the first one I could find in the stash).

1 Fuselage half and lower wing cut ready to accept resin.

Lower wing rescribed.

I decided I would rescribe this build as I had just got a Olfa cutter and wanted to try it out

Day1Progressoverview.jpg

Monday Evening:

Cutting of second fuselage half complete.

Fixed up some scribing problems with lower wing.

Glued rear fuselage together, added tail cone plug, forward fuselage plug and rear bombay plug.

Filled everything with Superglue and filed and sanded it back to correct contours.

Cockpit resin piece test fitted but not glued.

Scribed both upper wing pieces

Day2Progressoverview.jpg

Tuesday Evening:

Forward Fuselage section assembled, glued in cocpit resin piece and bombay resin piece.

Joined forward and rear fuselage sections.

Had to reshape rear section of bombay with card and superglue as for some reason there was a 2mm step. between the front and rear sections.

Forward fuselage filed and sanded to correct shape.

Day3Nose.jpg

Day3FwdLowerfuselage.jpg

Day3Tail.jpg

Wednesday Evening:

Started scribing fuselage. Had a few wayward lines that had to be filled and redone.

Glued wings together.

Started working on props. On comparing the resin props supplied inthe conversion I found that all they were was the kit props with the tipe squared off. I decided to modify an Airfix E model Hercules prop as it was a bit more sturdier that the P-3 kit prop. Just squarded it up a bit and it looks the part by my eye.

No pictures as not much had changed

I decided to use Superglue as my filler of choice this time (first time on such a large scale) since I had a few problems with other softer fillers previously. I still am using some Tamiya putty in smaller quantities just in finishing some small rough spots I could not be bothered to redo the superglue on.

I have also re-inforced a number of areas that kept cracking when subject to a lot of sanding, though since I am scribing I don't expect to sand half as much in those spots :D

So there you have it. I have made almost as much progress in 3 nights and an afternoonas I had done over 2 years with the mark 1 build. Here's hoping all goes well and I can complete it by the 3rd week in February.

:taunt:

• 1 month later...

A little progress and then a setback. I got to the point of applying a coat of white lacquer, all looked good so I did a test run with some spare decals to see where I would have to mask. When I went to remove the decals I noticed some of the paint was not dried (again). So I have stripped I again and am up to priming.

Here is a picture of it with the cockpit windscreen and cheatline decals applied. I thought it looked quite good. I did learn the best way to apply the decals to get the best alignment so all was not lost from the exercise.

Decaltest.jpg

Well back to the bench

Edited by Trojan Thunder

That is looking superb Ray! That TAA livery looks really nice. I plan to do one in 1/144 using the Minicraft Electra (too late, already in the stash :rolleyes: ), and I can only hope it turns out as nicely as yours is so far.

Kev