Dreams do come true

Fuel! He's going to need all he can get.

Seriously though, why the very asymetric load? Looks he really is carrying sonobouys.

Jeff

I've asked that quesion to a couple of hornet drivers in VFA-83, and they said there are 2 reasons why.

1. Is an aiming issue with the bombs. Is that factual? I have no clue. They didn't go into great detail as to why, and I never bothered asking.

2. The switched tank configuration allows for the hornet to extend it's range a little, and pack a little more punch by having 3 bombs loaded instead of 2. Or something to that effect.

I'm not much of a hornet guy, and I'm sure the real guy to ask is Dave Roof.

Dave??

hmmmm might well be carrying zuni rocket pods i guess??

No rockets on the carrier, very big safety issues (HERO and all of that), havent been since the first Gulf War. Those are smoke markers the Hornet is carrying on the TER. I've bombed smokes that Hornets have put in the water before... and during AIM-9 practice shoots...they can load up para-smokes and shoot Sidewinders at those... that's pretty neat to watch. Exactly which version of smoke they are....not really sure.

Cheers

Edited by Collin
I've asked that quesion to a couple of hornet drivers in VFA-83, and they said there are 2 reasons why.

1. Is an aiming issue with the bombs. Is that factual? I have no clue. They didn't go into great detail as to why, and I never bothered asking.

2. The switched tank configuration allows for the hornet to extend it's range a little, and pack a little more punch by having 3 bombs loaded instead of 2. Or something to that effect.

Dave??

The Hornets computer takes into account the assem tank loadout....and trims the aircraft accordingly. In the S-3... we had to dive into the books and figure out the lateral trim settings if we did something like that (ie. drop and a Harpoon, ARS and a TER full of MK-82's... old school in the charts).

Cheers

Edited by Collin
The switched tank configuration allows for the hornet to extend it's range a little, and pack a little more punch by having 3 bombs loaded instead of 2. Or something to that effect.

HINT - Look what's to the left of the empty pylon and hung on the outboard pylon. Look what's to right of the empty pylon mounted just aft of the intake. What do those things have in common? How do they work? What are the limitations of the type of technology they employ?

"Aw c'mon Jamie, give yer brain a chance!" - my favorite line from Battle of Britain.

HINT - Look what's to the left of the empty pylon and hung on the outboard pylon. Look what's to right of the empty pylon mounted just aft of the intake. What do those things have in common? How do they work? What are the limitations of the type of technology they employ?

"Aw c'mon Jamie, give yer brain a chance!" - my favorite line from Battle of Britain.

Laser Mask/Cut Out issues. Not many worries when your laser spot is given to you by a gound pounder... just point, solid square in the keyhole...in range... and shoot. A monkey can use LMAV... and I consider myself a monkey with a few of these shots under my belt.

Cheers

Edited by Collin

Monkey? Did someone ask for a monkey? I'm yer monkey!!

I can goof things up like a monkey on a bowling ball! (Or was it monkey things up like a goof on a bowling ball?) :huh:

Oh well, in any case - I'm the monkey for the job! :D

Anybody seen a banana?

"They can teach monkeys to fly better than that!" - another great line from Battle of Britain

BTW - No fair Collin, you didn't even need the hint... ;)

Edited by John Bibay

I can goof things up like a monkey on a bowling ball! (Or was it monkey things up like a goof on a bowling ball?) :huh:

Anybody seen a banana?

"They can teach monkeys to fly better than that!" - another great line from Battle of Britain

BTW - No fair Collin, you didn't even need the hint... ;)

Ahhh, the good ol' days of working on the roof. Sometimes I really miss the action of carrier life. Lots of good memories. Thanks for the post.

Chris

A few more...

CRW_1726.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Ten points to whoever guesses what this Hornet is carrying...

IMG_2348.jpg

I guess they could be smokes, (never carried them)...I was thinking LUU-2 flares.

More importantly, check out the vertical leap on the final checker on the left wing! Guess he wants to visually make sure that the beercans are down.

Dave??

The aiming issue has to do with the FLIR pod. With a centerline tank, you greatly restrict the field of view to the right. As a Marine D guy, we would fly around "Double Bubble" 2 wing tanks. That left a pretty good FOV below and to the right. Navy jets typically fly "Goofy Gas aka, Double Ugly" to give themselves a open field of view to the left side and below. Additionally allows them to pickle the right wing tank and be in a Fighter configuration while still retaining the centerline.

If you note the Marine D's recently (since 2003), they're carying the Litening pod. That goes on the centerline station. We loose a weapon pylon, but gain SOOO much more by having a much better pod.

I can goof things up like a monkey on a bowling ball! (Or was it monkey things up like a goof on a bowling ball?) :thumbsup:

Anybody seen a banana?

BTW - No fair Collin, you didn't even need the hint... B)

That would be a football B! And not the World Cup kind.

Tank

That would be a football B! And not the World Cup kind.

Tank

Where are the holes on a football? Don't those laces get in the way of things? :P

Ha see? Told you I can goof things up!

John B -> monkey :) , goofball :D, smart-aleck :D, and duty designated driver :(

"TAKA! TAKA! TAKA! TAKA! TAKA!

Oh... there you are Rabbit Leader...."