I didn't plan on entering this GB, but when an urge to start the Little Bird kit in the stash hit.... did I have a choice?

Here's what I've done so far, putting the cockpit and fuselage together.

AH6003.jpg

AH6002.jpg

AH6001.jpg

I'm really not looking forward to fitting the transparencies as a dry fit needs a bit of force to keep it in place. White glue probably won't do the trick so I might try dipping the canopy in future use superglue and hope it doesn't fog.

Welp when I did it, I used normal plastic glue. After dipping it in future of course.

I found the fit near perfect! I just stuck it down, then held it for about 10 minutes, constantly blowing on it to get the glue to dry :D

Hardly any gaps (apart from a small one down the side where the glue was to thin to hold it properly. Easy fixed with a bit of thinned down filler.

Looking great mate. Are you using Tamiya paints for this one? I recommend using different types of black to get different shades...gives a great effect.

You using the flexible ammo belts?? The kit ones snapped mine as I tried to bend them :thumbsup:

Hey Papasmurf,

I am actually using Tamiya Paints for this build - NATO Black, but I will try adding a few areas of German Grey for variety. I have also used a few touches of Citadel Chaos Black in the interior for seats, handles, etc. The Ammo Belts are a bit of a challenge, as I don't know how to bend them without damaging them either - maybe a soak in boiling water to soften them up first? I might try giving that a go.

It's actually quite an easy build, and all has been going well so far. I've tried your technique using normal glue, and am looking forward to removing the masking and seeing how it works out after a final touch up of NATO black.

Comparing it to the size of the rotor blades in my 1/35 Blackhawk kit (bought on impulse at the same time as this one after seeing Blackhawk Down last year :thumbsup: ) the Little Bird really is LITTLE!!! Entirely black, Festooned with rocket pods and Miniguns and with antennae sticking out everywhere it looks mean.

Trent

The canopy is attached. It as come out alright, but not perfectly with a tiny few gaps (mustn't have blown hard enough on it.) I could try to fix things up, but I'm afraid my fix will look worse than the problem I'm trying to fix, so I'll learn to live with it.

I've also added some post shading of panel lines with German Grey. The pics are a little blurry, but you can see what I've done anyway. Personally, I think it looks a little over done and might give it a light overspray of NATO black to tone it down. What do you think?

747bc3ba.jpg

Trent,

Nice looking LB so far. As for the gaps in the canopy, try building up a few layers of diluted white glue until it level with the surrounding plastic. Just touch it up with your base color and viola, gaps are gone.

I look forward to see your completed LB. I have that kit in my stash as well, so reading your experiences will come in handy when I continue mine (boxed while other kits are being messed with).

Cheers,

Alby

• 3 weeks later...

Finally- Finished! I didn't do too well with the ammo belts, as they broke when I tried (ever so gently) to bend them. Unless I look at them from the bottom I can't see much of them anyway.

To answer some questions - The Miniguns were painted in simple old Gunze Metal Black, no fancy Alclad or anything like that. Alby - the gaps were mainly at the bottom of the canopy and a few layers of white glue worked a treat!

The other problem I had was with the upper panels of the canopy. I sprayed a light coat of Tamiya smoke to get the tint done, but I don't think I let it dry long enough before masking it as the tape has left a textured surface. I think I'd just make it look worse if I tried to fix it, so I'm happy to let it be and learn from the experience.

Anyway, enough from me - bring on the pics!

1f14c34c.jpg

119a3592.jpg

253fe249.jpg

4e0636b4.jpg

bbd21cf4.jpg