How many kits have ARCers donated?

I am not starting this thread to brag, but out of curiosity. I just want to know how many kits have the members here at ARC donated thus far? So if you feel like sharing, you may do so herein. If the mods thihnk this is not an appropriate subject, they may remove the thread.

So here goes. I will be the first to volunteer:

Four kits and one paint set.

I hope this helped push towards the goal.

William 'Spaced Marine' Nichols

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum guys, some computer troubles.

To answer the question, the total in received kits from "known ARC Members" is 61. However, there are anothe 36 kits that I simply haven't got a clue who the folks were or how they heard about it. I am making an assumption that these came from sources like ARC or the Carrier.net folks who have linked to ARC's story.

There was one kit that got to me deeply. A mother, who's son was a Marine killed in Iraq, sent one of her late son's kits. She had been given a printout of the ARC site and it inspired her to share.

Thanks guys, a million times over.

Gary P

Fired 2 kits off this afternoon.....included a personal note in each one.

Good to go,

Jim

You bet I did. Did you get my note on if you wanted the two in one to stay as a two-fer or did you want us to bag the extra seperately and copy your letter into it?

Cheers

Gary

Well guys I put 5 kits in a box from the UK along with a decal sheet, also put a pair of tweezers etc in one of the boxes.

Hope you get em ok Gary.

Julien

Hi Rob

The oficial address is

Kits For Kandahar

138 Cobequid Road

Lr. Sackville, Nova Scotia

B4C 2N3

Canada

Please indicate that these are plastic scale model kits, gifts and have a value of less than 50 dollars US. It keeps us out of duty.

Thanks so much Rob, and one last thing we've been asking folks to do. Please put your name on the box, and if you want, where you're from and a note if you are inclined. This is a gift, not from me, not from Kits For Kandahar or some strange unnamed corporation, it's from a fellow who lives in the world and cared enough to take the time to say thanks to someone for wearing the green. (or sand and brown) It's a very personal touch we want you to make to these guys and gals so far from their loved ones.

Cheers and thanks so much

Gary

Edited by GaryP

Hi Rob

The official address is:

Kits For Kandahar

138 Cobequid Road

Lr. Sackville, Nova Scotia

B4C 2N3

Canada

Please indicate that these are plastic scale model kits, gifts and have a value of less than 50 dollars US. It keeps us out of duty.

Thanks so much Rob, and one last thing we've been asking folks to do. Please put your name on the box, and if you want, where you're from and a note if you are inclined. This is a gift, not from me, not from Kits For Kandahar or some strange unnamed corporation, it's from a fellow who lives in the world and cared enough to take the time to say thanks to someone for wearing the green. (or sand and brown) It's a very personal touch we want you to make to these guys and gals so far from their loved ones.

Cheers and thanks so much

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Sent 6 kits and 7 or 9 decals sets(don't remember exactly), with a small message inside each kits.

Think I'll be under the taxed value with can$15 :)

And fortunately been just under the 2kg package weight, over it has been very expensive for me ( kits sent from Belgium...)

Hope they'll have fun building it.

Luc

Hi guys,

I must appoligize, I have been out of the loop for a few days as my parents were in the throws of celebrating their 50th anniversary and we had company up the waazooo. I'd like to update ya'll with a progress report.

At last count, we're at 436 air, armour, ship, car, and of course, sci-fi kits. What is kinda fun, in the sci-fi kits there are some monsters that would fit nicely on the turret of one of those armoured vehicles over there.

I'm gonna figure out how to post some images of the piles of stuff filling my basement. Also, I'll show you pics of the inspection team doing their thing. We're slowly trying to get that ramped up and begin boxing kits as soon as we get someone to donate new cartons. (security reqirement dealing with sealed contents)

I'll also make as much effort as possible to insure you guys get photos of the stuff being loaded and shipped and hopefully we can get someone in country clicking the arrival and set up.

I don't want to point out any specific contributions simply because that becomes a competitive thing and this isn't about a competition. I will confess I was amazed by a few of the IPMS groups who came thru with blazing colours and threw down the gauntlet to other groups to support the cause.

We are making copies of all the letters, notes and taking digi photos of the worthy jots to be included in a journal. We are also recording the names of supporters, their home towns (when we have it) and the companies who have supported this effort. Copies of this journal will be forwarded to the soldiers so that they can have an opportunity to read all the love and support you guys are showing, not just the one box they receive. As well, copies will be forwarded to tehPM's office, the Minister of Defense's office, my hero Chief of Defense Staff Gen Rick Hillier's office, Maritime Command's head office and to the PAO of Joint Task Forces Atlantic, Major J. Janzen, who has been our leasion officer for this effort.

You guys are fantastic. My basement is a disaster area of kits and styrofoam peanuts. What's important is that my wife, thanks to your generosity, and the very touching letters that she's read, truely understands what is at the heart of this project.

I owe a considerable ammount of thanks to a lot of people and each and every one of you who has supported this effort is on that list. I do want to make a special thanks to none other than our Steve Bamford for supporting K4K on ARC. If not for Steve's fantastic site and the folks here, I don't think any of this could have become real.

So as a final note, we are slated to ship in the first week of Aug. How long it take to get there I don't know exactly, but I will update you on everything as I find out.

Thanks so much

Gary Porter

Gary, I just sent a bunch of old kits, new and old decals and my old Paasche H airbrush, I handed them over to Max Headroom earlier tonight, he will be forwarding them to you shortly. I forgot to put a note in there. If you can, place a thank-you from me the the guys in Khandahar.

Thanks

If you have any special words feel free to PM them to me and I'll print off copies and put them in and on your stuff.

Cheers and thanks so much.

Gary P

Gary, I just sent a bunch of old kits, new and old decals and my old Paasche H airbrush, I handed them over to Max Headroom earlier tonight, he will be forwarding them to you shortly. I forgot to put a note in there. If you can, place a thank-you from me the the guys in Khandahar.

Thanks

If you have any special words feel free to PM them to me and I'll print off copies and put them in and on your stuff.

Cheers and thanks so much.

Gary P

Hi Gary,

I have everything packed and just had another 20.00 donated so it's off toget some more paint at lunch and then I'll mail everything off.

Everything's in an 18 x 18 x 24 inch box and is about 95% full.

So far here's what I got from co-workers, myself, Charlie "Cheetah" and Quiddy.

5 car models

1 box misc. model parts

2 ship models

6 plane models

2 sets of figures

1 paint set

13 airplane decal sets

1 big bag misc decal pieces

1 airbrush

2 packages q-tips

2 packages cotton balls

2 packages of 18mm Tamiya masking tape

3 packages of 6 mm Tamiya masking tape

6 packages of round toothpicks

2 x 80 makeup removal pads

2 x 100 medicine cups

2 big packages of paint brushes

4 small packages of paint brushes

4 tubes of glue

7 packages of clamps

7 pairs of tweezers

5 packages of blue-tack

5 tri-grit nail buffers (same thing as my squadron tri grit)

1 package emery sticks (32 count)

2 utility knives

2 utility blade refills

:lol:

That clunk you just heard was my jaw striking the desk as it was going to the floor. Holy snap man, you guys went ... wow. What an amazing gift. I just can't tell you how great this is. The models are awesome, but the tools and supplies are sorely needed and this helps so much.

Thank you guys, thank you so much.

Gary P

Hi Gary,

I have everything packed and just had another 20.00 donated so it's off toget some more paint at lunch and then I'll mail everything off.

5 car models

1 box misc. model parts

2 ship models

6 plane models

2 sets of figures

1 paint set

13 airplane decal sets

1 airbrush

2 packages q-tips

2 packages cotton balls

2 x 100 medicine cups

4 tubes of glue

7 packages of clamps

7 pairs of tweezers

5 packages of blue-tack

2 utility knives

2 utility blade refills

:D

Geez Gary, the way things are going, the Forces may have to ship this over on a C-17 instead of a C-130. :D

I am honored that I could help out, and I am sure Jason and Wayne feel the same way, as well as all of us that have contributed. There will be many happy modelers in Khandahar next month, maybe even some new modelers and future ARC members. What would be nice to see is some pics of the all the donations before they are loaded, and being distributed in Khandahar, hopefully they'll have a reporter or 2 over there than can take some video to show on CTV and CBC news.

Thanks for all you efforts Gary. Hoping we can get together at the '06 MMM in October.

Arrived yesterday Max and wow! I am staggered. A list looks long, but when you get to sorting and making sure names and notes are attached, it becomes kind of overwhelming.

Thanx so much to you guys. The Pres of our club was here when it arrived and he was actually overcome. Tears and the whole nine yards. He has been amazed by things, but never had the opportunity to actually see this kind of thing happen, the opening of a box. It's kinda like the opening of the breifcase in Pulp Fiction. Each box glows. I am blessed to be part of this and I can't thank you guys enough for supporting the troops over there and allowing me to be part of this.

Gary P

PS, where did you buy the little cups? I'm thinking of introdcing my wife to Jello shooters.

Hi Gary,

5 car models

1 box misc. model parts

2 ship models

6 plane models

2 sets of figures

1 paint set

13 airplane decal sets

1 airbrush

2 packages q-tips

2 packages cotton balls

2 x 100 medicine cups

4 tubes of glue

7 packages of clamps

7 pairs of tweezers

5 packages of blue-tack

2 utility knives

2 utility blade refills

:blink:

Arrived yesterday Max and wow! I am staggered. A list looks long, but when you get to sorting and making sure names and notes are attached, it becomes kind of overwhelming.

Thanx so much to you guys. The Pres of our club was here when it arrived and he was actually overcome. Tears and the whole nine yards. He has been amazed by things, but never had the opportunity to actually see this kind of thing happen, the opening of a box. It's kinda like the opening of the breifcase in Pulp Fiction. Each box glows. I am blessed to be part of this and I can't thank you guys enough for supporting the troops over there and allowing me to be part of this.

Gary P

PS, where did you buy the little cups? I'm thinking of introdcing my wife to Jello shooters.

I got the medicine cups at Shoppers Drug Mart. Find one of the larger stores that sell medical supplies like walkers, braces, bulk latex gloves, tongue depressors, catheters, etc. They're perfect for mixing resin, making washes, mixing paint and they last forever if you remember to clean them while the paint is wet. I bought a sleeve 3 years ago and I'm still using it. And yes most of their sales are people making Jello Shooters!

36 pounds of supplies on the way up via airmail, in two boxes.

I was telling a friend of mine (who does RC airplanes) about your project, and he bought 48 tubes of cement and had me put it in with the packages I sent north. Thanks Mark!

Gary, thanks for being the spearhead on this project, good job!!

Steve