DC-3 TO C-47

How much work would be involved building a 1/48th scale DC-3 as a C-47?

As far as I know. They are the same plane. The DC-3 started as the civilian airliner. They removed the seats and added a large cargo door to the rear port side and called it a C-47 for the military. The Monogram kit is a C-47 but the DC-3/C-47 were are used interchangeably. The Japanese cloned the plane to become the L2D as did the Russians under license to become the Li-2

Edited by ron

:P ..There are a number of differences......the most noteable is the astrodome (navigation dome) and the cargo doors on the C-47.......inside the floor was different in that it was stressed for heavier loads......The C-53 was a version without the astrodome and cargo doors used as a troop transport and glider-tow A/C

True the C-47 is based on the DC-3.......Below is a link a listing of pretty much all variants....

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/skytrain.htm

:thumbsup:

:cheers:

Edited by OldThudMan

The "Great Planes" video/DVD shows a DC.3 being converted to a C.47 (early in WWII) merely by the removal of the civilian seats and the spraying of the outside. Later, the aircraft being produced received additional modifications for military service - astrodome, radios & antennas etc.

George, out..........

The large cargo door is the most obvious but also watch out for differences in carb intake, the rifle knockouts in the cabin windows, removed tail cone on the C-47 to allow a tow hook. Astrodomes were variable too and so was the aerial fitment. Some C-47s got an extended nose cone. Early DC-3s had one type of undercarriage fork, changed to the other during the production run.

Apart from the original changes to make a C-47, the C-47 had a lot of detail changes over the years so you will have to be careful.

I have my father's Dash 1 book(pilots manual,I also have his checklists from that time period)from his time as a crew chief/flight engineer on the Gooney Bird(20+ years).I have to pick it up from my friends house this week but I can run some stuff off out of it if you need anything.

It has excellent pics and diagrams of the wheel-wells,cockpit,exterior,ect.,my buddy used it on his D-Day C-47 he built a couple of years ago and it came out stunning(and very accurate usin the book).The Dash 1 is marked December 1944,with a few updates up until 1951!

I've been wanting to build a C-47 for awhile now,just need to grab a 1/72 scale kit and try and build my dad's favorite Gooney Bird,C-47A 42-100513,which was later turned into a RC-47N and then into a EC-47P and use in the Vietnam War.I can use a DC-3 and C-47 kit to do the plane with as the C-47 we had,a passenger interior was fitted 90% of the time.

F-84C-47T33inHanger.jpg

As for the carb air intakes, the DC-3s had a small intake but so did the C-47...You really need to look at the aircraft that you will be doing as changes were made in the field at various times so there really are no hard and fast...except for the photo of the bird at the time frame involved.

Barney

As for the carb air intakes, the DC-3s had a small intake but so did the C-47...You really need to look at the aircraft that you will be doing as changes were made in the field at various times so there really are no hard and fast...except for the photo of the bird at the time frame involved.

Barney

True,'513 had both during it's career with our unit, you just need to pinpoint the plane you are going to do and press on!

True,'513 had both during it's career with our unit, you just need to pinpoint the plane you are going to do and press on!

Also some aircraft had a starboard-side entrance door.

I've included a link to some pics I took of a DC-3 in Tullahoma, TN last month. According to the pilot, this DC-3 is in the same markings it was in when purchased by AAL in 1937.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDonSS3/DC-3/

HTH