Canadian C-130 Scheme

Was just leafing through a Janes Defence Weekly mag from May 06 and noticed a cool 4 colour camo scheme of a Canadian C-130, and was wondering if anyone knew what the colours were? Looks like two shades of blue-gray with an olive drab and either white or very light gray. Tail number looks to be 130340 with the starboard upper wing with the the numbers 340 in larger size.

TIA

Brad

Brad,

That's the "Canada One" scheme that '340 was delivered in. It's actually a 3 colour scheme of 34095 Green, 36118 Gray and 36375 Gray. Markings were flat black. The scheme weathered and faded with time and that may be why you see two blue grays.

130340 was one of five tanker Hercs (130338 to 130342) and are H90 models and require some modifications from what's in the Italeri kit. The scheme was carried by the whole fleet at one point so you could do an E model (130305-130328) or H73 (130329-130333) out of the box without much modification.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton

Thanks Sean, you want me to scan the pic for you, or do you have access to that pub? It sure does look like two seperate blue-grays with clear demarcation lines.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad,

I don't have access to Janes. If you could scan it for me I'd love to see it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's this photo (Canadian Forces Stock publicity shot CC130A-1-F-modA-MkII)

Hercules_airborne.jpg

It's deceptive but there are only three colours in the scheme.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton

Hi Sean,

No need to scan, that is the pic in question. Is it a wrap around scheme, ie: no underside seperate colour? If you look at the tail and port stab, is there not a white, light blue, dark blue/gray and green? What about the colour on the zero on the stbd wing, is that the same colour as on the top of the tail?

Brad

Hi again Brad,

It is a wrap around scheme and the schemes varied little from airframe to airframe except for the tankers which I believe had some varience under the wings to accomodate the aar pods and the placement of the "last three" of the serial.

The colour on the tail and starboard wing is the lighter gray 36375 - it looks much lighter due to lighting, weathering, processing, etc. The nacelles are all the same colour (36375) too, but notice the difference between the two nearest engines.

Cheers,

Sean

Email Bill at CanMilAir decals and he'll print you up a set of those. I have not seen his actual herc decals but if they are like his earlier offerings you'll be a happy camper.

Hi again Brad,

It is a wrap around scheme and the schemes varied little from airframe to airframe except for the tankers which I believe had some varience under the wings to accomodate the aar pods and the placement of the "last three" of the serial.

The colour on the tail and starboard wing is the lighter gray 36375 - it looks much lighter due to lighting, weathering, processing, etc. The nacelles are all the same colour (36375) too, but notice the difference between the two nearest engines.

Cheers,

Sean

Ok Sean, You would know better than me anyway. It sure is a nice scheme at any rate, almost nice enough to do. Thanks for your thoughts and info.

Cheers

Brad

Hi sean,

Yup just finished checking those out. I also checked out a few places that sells the Italeri kit and at $70+ USD for the kit, I think I'll pass. Thanks for all the help though, maybe I can find a cheaper one on Ebay.

Cheers

Brad

Thanks Sean. I'll change my notes to reflect that info. Good to know. I am heading off to Hawaii for a month in support of the Naval RIMPAC exercise. Not sure I will get any modeling done, but will try and work on my tan.

Cheers

Brad

Hey Brad,

I did the acceptance check from Lockeheed on both those aircraft (340 and 341).

If you want an interesting scheme that was "one-of' try a search for 130330. It was done by mistake in two greys and a black. Someone messed up on a number and the green became a grey.

Gary

I thought 331 was in the same weird scheme, when both were lost in the mid air collision?

330 was in the three gray scheme while 331 was in the normal green and two grays. They were lost on March 29th, 1985 after performing a flypast with all the other units in Namao to celebrate the 61st Anniversary of the RCAF. They were doing a "battle break" to set up for landing when the when the two lead a/c collided - number 2 hit the rear ramp area of the lead aircraft, pushing it nose down into a dive from which it didn't have time to recover. The cockpit of the second aircraft seperated in midair from the impact of the collision. The third a/c that day was 328 who thankfully missed the other two. I watched it happen from the back door of our MQ. I remember 328 being low as he went past - real low. 10 men lost their lives that Friday evening including an USAF exchange pilot and a guy from the tower who was just along for the ride.

The idea of 331 being in the same scheme stems from the Italeri painting instructions in both their 72nd and 48th scale Herc kits - they erronously show 331 in the three grays, only 330 was ever wore that scheme.

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton
330 was in the three gray scheme while 331 was in the normal green and two grays. They were lost on March 29th, 1985 after performing a flypast with all the other units in Namao to celebrate the 61st Anniversary of the RCAF. They were doing a "battle break" to set up for landing when the when the two lead a/c collided - number 2 hit the rear ramp area of the lead aircraft, pushing it nose down into a dive from which it didn't have time to recover. The cockpit of the second aircraft seperated in midair from the impact of the collision. The third a/c that day was 328 who thankfully missed the other two. I watched it happen from the back door of our MQ. I remember 328 being low as he went past - real low. 10 men lost their lives that Friday evening including an USAF exchange pilot and a guy from the tower who was just along for the ride.

The idea of 331 being in the same scheme stems from the Italeri painting instructions in both their 72nd and 48th scale Herc kits - they erronously show 331 in the three grays, only 330 was ever wore that scheme.

Sean

What does "MQ" mean?

Hey Brad,

I did the acceptance check from Lockeheed on both those aircraft (340 and 341).

If you want an interesting scheme that was "one-of' try a search for 130330. It was done by mistake in two greys and a black. Someone messed up on a number and the green became a grey.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I'll check that out!

Cheers

Brad

Sean

Sean,

That must have been freaking horrorfying to watch.

Brad

Brad,

Horrifying indeed and it was very surreal - it's amazing how time seemed to slow as it was happening. Sorry to get sidetracked off the colour topic.

Here's a picture of 330 in happier times.

On Airliners.net

Sean

No problem, Sean, thanks for another great pic.

Brad