Inexpensive spray paint.... works very well!

Hello,

Just wanted to post a tip: I was in need of flat white spray paint yesterday, but the hobby store was closed due to a power outage, but I was just dying to get started on a new model. I went to Home Depot, and got some "Painter's Touch" spray paint and spray primer, and they work just as well as tamiya or any other brand, and do not harm the plastic at all!

The small Tamiya cans are $6.95+tax each, and are 100mL

The Painter's Touch is $5.95+tax each and is 340mL

Hope someone can be helped by this

Cheers

:thumbsup::banana:

Edited by mtphotos
The small Tamiya cans are $6.95+tax each, and are 100mL

The Painter's Touch is $5.95+tax each and is 340mL

Trust a Chelsea fan to cheap out; have you tried sticking your models together with wallpaper paste? <_<

Just kidding of course, I'll have to stop by Home Depot and check them out. I doubt they have official RLM colours, but what's their range like?

I just purchased a can of primer and a can of flat white. I used the flat white to paint the entire plane, effectively acting as a primer. I'll try the real primer (advertised as "sandable" on the can) at some point. I used it straight from the can. Since I was painting the entire plane, control wasn't an issue. It went on rather well, not too thick, and it didn't run. Given the fact that only basic colors are available, and that decanting sounds like a pain in the neck, I think I'll just use it for primer. But it was much easier than using (and cleaning!) the airbrush. Also, I use acryllics with my airbrush, and I don't want to mix acryllics and enamels with the same airbrush.

And the Migrant is right, I don't think we'll be able to find authentic colors. :D

Also, I'll check when I get home, but I think the contents are 340 grams, not 340 mL.

Edited by zeus60

I tried the gray primer. It went on much thicker than the plain flat white, which is, I guess, what primers are supposed to do. I wouldn't recommend it. I'm also going to try the regular (non-primer) gray to see how that goes on.