AC-130H Question

Well on Primeportal there was an AC-130H walkaround previous month Ijust have a little question abouth two bumbs

this bumb its on both sides of the aft fuselage

another shot

(pice taken by Michael Block and placed on Primeportal.net)

To me it looks like a oversized LANTRIN pod, anybody knows what is is for real?? (they are also placed on the AC-130U)

Edited by Spunk-Y
Well on Primeportal there was an AC-130H walkaround previous month Ijust have a little question abouth two bumbs

this bumb its on both sides of the aft fuselage

another shot

(pice taken by Michael Block and placed on Primeportal.net)

To me it looks like a oversized LANTRIN pod, anybody knows what is is for real?? (they are also placed on the AC-130U)

The bumps acomodate an AN/AAQ-24 "Nemesis" Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM). They are being fitted to all AC-130s and MC-130s. In this configuration they are also present on a number of the RAF's special ops Hercules. The system itself is also present on RAF Merlins and I believe the US intends to put it on their Ospreys.

HTH

I'm working on a set of masters for an AM update set that will eventually allow someone to build an up to date AC-130H or U model. These will be included in the set. (if 3rd Wire models gets back up and running)

Initially, 1/72 (since there are far more 1/72 AC-130H/U kits out there), then eventually I will release a 1/48 scale set.

Skull Leader:

Knew there was something I liked about you. Let me know when the 1/72 one is done and I'll buy several.

Mark

The bumps acomodate an AN/AAQ-24 "Nemesis" Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM). They are being fitted to all AC-130s and MC-130s. In this configuration they are also present on a number of the RAF's special ops Hercules. The system itself is also present on RAF Merlins and I believe the US intends to put it on their Ospreys.

HTH

It has been installed on all SOF 130's (MCE's, MCH's, ACH's, ACU's), some RAF 130's and a few AMC slicks as well. The 53's and V-22's also have a version of it, obviously not exactly the same due to size differences. There is also a difference in internals as well, but I won't get into that here.

Cheers!

I'm working on a set of masters for an AM update set that will eventually allow someone to build an up to date AC-130H or U model. These will be included in the set. (if 3rd Wire models gets back up and running)

I will definitely be interested in a few of those sets, as well as any you do in 1/48. :banana:

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, do they plan on installing these CMs to other transports, say the C-17 and/or the C-5?

They've already been installed on at least one C-17 that I saw at Edwards AFB in 2003. I'm sure there are more installed nowadays.

Mike B

Owner of the AC-130H pics on Prime Portal