Yeovilton Air Day - 8 July 2006

Got back from an excellent Yeovilton Air Day this evening, a good flying display and some interesting subjects in the static park. However, I have a question which someone else who was there or who may be "in the know" may be able to answer.

In the middle of the afternoon's display an unscheduled and unannounced 31 Squadron Tornado appeared at the end of the runway. Despite air traffic announcing that he was going to land he performed a short display routine and a touch-and-go landing before he landed. Then, after he had taxied onto the apron, there was a dull thud and he suffered what appeared to be an engine fire which was swiftly extinguished.

Interested minds would like to know if there's an answer?

Richard,

From photos that I've seen elsewhere, there was some sort of engine problem, and then a small fire. Flame was seen coming out of the engine after it had landed. Didn't look bad enough to cause any damage, apart maybe from some paint.

Regards,

Gerard

I too have just viewed the sequence of events on another forum - they say, just as they the aircraft had reached its park spot, somehow it engaged full after burner to its port engine, which then rapidly turned into a fire. Some great shots too.

I saw that, and it was fun. Even funnier ribbing the pilot afterwards.

What happened, was the pilot switched off the aircraft power before the engine had run down properly. The DECU (Digital Engine Control Unit) sensed this as an electrics failure, and under such circumstances, accelerates the engine to full military power (thinking the jet was in combat, and being shot at). In the air, it's OK, but on the ground, you've just seen what happens :taunt: