1941 Historical Airgroup Airshow - Geneseo New York

The 1941 Historical Airgroup held it's annual airshow on the grass strip at Geneseo this last weekend. The weather was perfect, and the crowds were light on arrival day Friday so I headed down and shot a few pictures as the aircraft arrived. It's a perfect setting for these type of aircraft, a 3200 foot grass strip, you are looking to the northwest with the sun behind you through most of the day, and there are no hills to speak of in the vicinity so they don't have excessive altitude minimums. Even though it was a hot day in the high 80's (26C) the grass kept the reflected heat down. Besides, hanging out underneat the wing of a C-47 is a pretty good way to get out of the sun. The show is growing more every year, and I hope that these guys can build it up to the level of the previous Wings of Eagles airshow that was the premier show for warbirds in the mid 90's. All counted there were approxamately 150 airplanes on display and actively flying. I was a bit dissapointed the Lancaster and the 109E from Canada couldn't make it, but the Canadians were there in force with the Great War Flying Museum sending 7 WW1 era aircraft, as well as the Canadian Harvard Association, and several from the Canadian Warplane Heritage. They really help round out the attendance and bring some fine aircraft. The battery in my camera went belly up before I could get shots of the Hurricane and Spit that made a late day arrival on Friday, but it was nice to just stuff the camera into the bag and just watch airplanes without trying to compose a picture every 15 seconds. If you can make it next year I heartily recommend it. It's always the weekend after July 4th.

Enjoy the pictures.

GeneseoAirshow200683.jpg

Corsair streaking by. This one raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

GeneseoAirshow200680.jpg

Nice Avenger in Atlantic scheme. He tried to do a high speed flyby, but after seeing the Corsair rip up the runway it just wasn't quite the same.

GeneseoAirshow200663.jpg

Very nice P-40 zooms by. I loved the difference in the sounds between the Merlin in the Mustang and the Allison in the P-40.

GeneseoAirshow200662.jpg

Mustang hot on the heels of the P-40

GeneseoAirshow200660.jpg

Very rare Naval Aircraft Factory N3N "Yellow Peril" Taxis by.

Cheers

Mike

and a few more.

GeneseoAirshow200654.jpg

Mustang snorts and barks to life. I had a very nice conversation with the pilot of this one. He had the best job in the world Friday.

GeneseoAirshow200647.jpg

B-17 "Memphis Belle" repro does a high speed flyby. Awesome.

GeneseoAirshow200637.jpg

C-47 touches down as B17 taxis out. This could be any airfield in England in 1943.

81913cfd.jpg

This Waco UPF7 was a jaw dropping gorgeous airplane. Even the engine was detailed with chrome accents and absolutely spotless. It is based at an airport not to far from where I live. I am going to hunt this one down for a walkaround and potential scratchbuid project.

2b191f78.jpg

Couple of nice Kaydets sit in the morning sun.

bbc0fdd6.jpg

B-17 headed out to the active.

Beautiful photos - man, there's times when I Really miss grass!

I might have to make the trip there in 2007 - it'll be quite the trip from Tucson, but I can combine it with a trip back to my hometown - Binghamton.

Thanks for posting the photos!!

ATB -

- Rip -

Beautiful photos - man, there's times when I Really miss grass!

I might have to make the trip there in 2007 - it'll be quite the trip from Tucson, but I can combine it with a trip back to my hometown - Binghamton.

Thanks for posting the photos!!

ATB -

- Rip -

You're quite welcome Rip.

PM inbound, if you are who I think you are I know you from like 30 years ago.

Cheers

Mike

Hey Skyking Great pic's thanks for sharing! BTW look what we have tucked away in the 3rd hanger :thumbsup:

DocsN3N-3.jpg

You are a cruel man for teasing me like that Greg. :worship:

Nice to see another one of them is alive and well. They were overshadowed by the SNJ's but served an equally important role in training Navy pilots when they were needed most.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Very nice shots. Looks like we were standing in the same footprints on some of those shots!

I will send you a few more of mine.....if I'm not bailing out a flooded basement.

Again, very nice work.

Bob