10-07-06

Guys, I need some help regarding the RAF VC-10 Transport

I was at Duxford Airshow on Saturday ( 8-07-06) and scored 2 Airfix VC-10 kits for a pretty reasonable amount.

I want to use a set decals I have from a company called Two-Six Decals for the RAF VC-10 Transport.

Now, in the small print it says I will also need "Bra.z Super VC-10 wing modification".

Does anyone know what this is and where and if it is still available?

Thanks in advance

Liam

As far as I know the C1 / C1K has a leading edge extension which the others (K2, K3, K$) don't have. Check photos, cut off the inboard 2/3 of the leading edge, pack with appropriate thickness of styrene sheet and glue it back on. Sand/fill/sand/fill etc.

I could be very wrong. Anyone know for sure ?

Stuart.

Liam,

BRA.Z. MODELS resin conversions are produced by Ivo Braghin in Italia (not 100% sure, maybe Czech Republic). I bought about 20-25 of his conversion sets (all 1/144 scale) and, from a straight point of view, I have to admit they look damned cool, featuring nice recessed details, seamless intake trunking & detailed hot section for the engines. However, if you start digging a little, you will discover some inaccuracies (mostly engine outline or shape) which I find frustrating considering that you are paying an extra to improve the stock kit and still need to correct the resin aftermarket bits BUT this is ONLY the case for 3 or 4 sets out of Ivo's range, most of his stuff is GREAT !

Regarding your VC-10 conversion, the following link will show you the parts available :

http://www.brazmodels.com/Vickers%20Viscou...C10kitphoto.htm

These sets may be available from http://www.aviationmegastore.com/ or http://www.hannants.co.uk/ .

Best regards, Stephane

Liam,

However, if you start digging a little, you will discover some inaccuracies (mostly engine outline or shape) which I find frustrating considering that you are paying an extra to improve the stock kit and still need to correct the resin aftermarket bits BUT this is ONLY the case for 3 or 4 sets out of Ivo's range, most of his stuff is GREAT !

Which of the 3 or 4 sets are to be avoided?

Bob

SLC

Which of the 3 or 4 sets are to be avoided?

Bob

SLC

Bob,

The following sets are in 1/144 :

- Boeing 737NG winglets, wrong outline.

- Boeing 757-200/-300 nose section, correct outline but the angle between the 2 windshield panes is WAY too big, resulting in a "flat windshield" look when viewed from up, fuselage section just don't meet MC's fuselage and I am not talking of the mating surfaces but the fuselage section. This set is still better than MC's stock nose.

- General Electric CF6-50E2 for the 747-100/-200/-300, exaust cone outline not accurate.

- Ilyushin Il-62 kit, too thick main wings, nose section outline not accurate (though difficult to achieve I admit). My Il-62M kit missed the landing gears + wheels and had the wrong old engines instead of the latest ones. Ivo didn't have any replacement parts to provide me with. And keep in mind this is no RoG 737NG money (nor A380-800 or An-124 money).

- Pratt & Whitney PW4056/4060/4062 for the 747-400, engine core outline not accurate (looks more like the PW4152/4156 found on the A310), exaust cone too rounded (once again, looks more like the A310's PW).

- Pratt & Whitney PW4052/4056/4060 for the 767-200/-300/-400, same as above.

- Rolls-Royce RB211-524G/H-T for the 747-400, simply a copy of Revell's parts with a too thin intake trunking and laughable hot section exaust mixer.

- Rolls-Royce Trent 768/772 for the A330-200/-300, wrong blade rotation direction, laughable hot section exaust mixer.

Some of you may see me as a rivet counter : they are half right though :whistle: ! While I am NOT trying to bash Ivo's products because the rest is good, I just feel frustrated buying his sets, which are supposed to improve the stock kit, and discovering those inaccuracies. I'm used to cutting, sawing, sanding, grinding but... To make it simple, you buy a kit, you then buy resin parts (maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the kit's price) intended to improve the stock kit and you then modify the resin parts that "were" intended to... ...

Wanna buy his stuff ? Buy a few sets, you will anyway benefit from the engine intake trunking which is so dificult to achieve.

Best regards, Stephane

You can also add the Braz 1/144th Boeing 757 Rolls Royce engines. They suck!

They are way under size. It's like the resin shrunk too much when they were made.

Andy

Edited by Andy
You can also add the Braz 1/144th Boeing 757 Rolls Royce engines. They suck!

They are way under size. It's like the resin shrunk too much when they were made.

Andy

Thanks Andy, thanks alot ! I was about to order them, both -535C and -535E, they look quite good on the pictures. Will try to modify the stock MC engines...

Regards, Stéphane